Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My club is now anti-competition

I have "NEVER" understood the understanding that if they eliminate some of the local active's, they will be better. Unless it is something they never thought of. After all, we are gun clubs. I have seen it on countless of occasion's where jealosy has reared it's ugy head, and I wish I could spell.

Our local club is basically a shotgun club, formed out of the skeet shooting faction of an Izaak Walton club. They expanded to a little trap, then added sporting clays and eventually five stand. All the time they had a poor excuse for a 200 yard range - down a hill and up the other side! About 10-15 years ago during a building phase which also involved some extensive timber sales, it was decided to move the rifle range up to the far corner of the property, but it was expanded to to 300 yds with 10 covered firing points and concrete benches. We have 2-3 Schuetzen matches a year on the range to keep having an excuse to keep it up, but the interest in bench rest here is not sufficient for a regular match. The good news is that the shotgun folks keep expanding on their turf and are willing to leave us alone while we get to keep doing our thing unmolested. I make sure we turn a small profit for the club and served for several years as an officer and committee chairman, so I can influence things in our favor. I don't want to be a politician, but sometimes it's a necessity.

Froggie

Quote Originally Posted by Louis.J View Post
    Sad, Sad, Sad Deal Indeed. Our club hosts Monthly ASSRA Matches from Feb. to Oct. and have been doing so since the 70's. We had a board member and a few others who were looking for every excuse he could come up with to try to end them. He would show up at every Match not wanting to shoot the Match but just wanting to screw around with one of his Rifle's. Even went to the point of going to the Board claiming shoots were going over the backstop and a causing a sever safety issue of which they were not. I got the little Bastard cornered one day and we got the issue settled with no witnesses around and he never came back and stopped his Crap. We have a limited membership and what used to be very competitive club. All matches are on the yearly calendar and when the various matches are being held all ranges are closed and he new it. Bottom line he was trying to eliminate ours to replace them with his and his friends own agenda. Sometimes politics just don't get it and a little one on one personal time together when no else is around is the best approach to get it settled
    At Tomball, we also have a Calender made up at the first of the year, and it is carved in stone. Every member knows if there is a Match, you cannot use the range for something else. It is each members responsibility to know the calender.

The truth is, the Benchrest Shooters probably use the range more than anybody. Heck, itís not uncommon for a few Benchrest Shooters to be the only ones at the range.

One thing we try to do is get there early to set flags so we do not use up valuable range time for other shooters.
    Last edited by jackie schmidt; 03-31-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Our local club has 25 benches of which 10 are allocated on a competition day. Most of them are cleared by 1200 because the comps are time limited. More than 10 competitors require a second round but this does not add much time to the competitions.

A 'defector' from the new committee member's fan club has told a few people that the whole coup was engineered on a 'closed' facebook forum and by mobile phone that was initiated in private conversations by the wannabe president.

It appears that us 'Old Farts' are not into this technology - Well let's see!

We have a great facility with great members and noway is a commercial vested interest going to be allowed to screw this up without a fight!

As for taking somebody out the back for a private word, we used to have a nice phrase for that it in the Australian military - it was called ' Contact Counselling'

* doggie * (23 years service)

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Pike View Post
    My Aussie friends knew the value of a good old bash to the nose! What has changed that?

LOL!

I lived in NH for a while..... in my experience folks from New Hamp Shire (Live Free Or Die!) and Ozzies have a lot in common

One of my favorite movies is 'Good Will Hunting' (OK, it's Mass..... Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem .... but old Massachusetts still lives on the streets in Wakefield) and there's a street scene in there where the guys jump out and start a rumble that so encapsulates the mindset that I think I'll share it.

Just for you Guy!

WARNING! Don't fire this clip up with the grandbabies in the room!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZIq4SfLNMk

Da'GUM! that's a great movie!

Thank God, in America you can still build your own shooting range. For the time being anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mike cockcroft View Post
    Thank God, in America you can still build your own shooting range. For the time being anyway.

Don't bother thanking God, it ain't his problem!

Just remember, we don't "lose" our rights....... we give them away.

Next time I'm flying alone I will AGAIN bring bullets onto the plane in my carry-on. If you don't understand WHY?

Then you are the problem.

off

al

So Al

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post

Don't bother thanking God, it ain't his problem!

Just remember, we don't "lose" our rights....... we give them away.

Next time I'm flying alone I will AGAIN bring bullets onto the plane in my carry-on. If you don't understand WHY?

Then you are the problem.

off

al
    Are you also a private pilot?

Quote Originally Posted by David Halblom View Post
    Are you also a private pilot?
    No.

I bring them on commercial flights, in my carry-on