Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Berger 115 fb bullet?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    225

    Berger 115 fb bullet?

    Anyone know what ogive the Berger 115 FB target 30cal bullets are?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Arlington, Virgina
    Posts
    993
    I believe they're 8. Perhaps someone can confirm or correct that, but they're definitely higher than 7.

    -Lee
    www.singleactions.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    225
    Now an 8 will sit futher into the case when touching the lands or shalower in the case?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    Now an 8 will sit futher into the case when touching the lands or shalower in the case?
    Less bullet in the case than with a lower ogive number, ie, a 7 ogive.

    I just measured a 7 ogive Cheek's and a 115 Berger, both on .925 jackets. The Berger is about .045 shorter, base to ogive, using a Hornady 30 cal comparator insert. Another bullet that is suppose to be a 7-3/4 ogive was .020 longer than the Berger and .025 shorter than the 7 give Cheeks. This is in reference to the bearing surface length using the Hornady comparator.
    Actual numbers--
    .325- Berger (8 ogive?)
    .345- 7-3/4 ogive Hillbilly
    .370- 7 ogive Cheeks

    This would imply to me that one or more of the claimed ogives is not exact. Matters not if they shoot well. Who knows? Not trying to start anything. Just thought the numbers were interesting.
    Last edited by mwezell; 03-14-2019 at 11:58 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    11,033
    TrxR



    Really depends on a number of factors (leade angle, secant or tangent, freebore diameter, if any) but my experience has been opposite of Mike's. ie IME GENERALLY SPEAKING the higher the ogive number (larger the radius) the shallower, to use your terminology.

    I'm not arguing nor disagreeing, just "sharing"

    "sharing is caring"

    ((((dude, this PC thing is just soooo calming eh....))))

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Arlington, Virgina
    Posts
    993
    Mike - your numbers support those ogives. For the same length bullet, the lower the ogive, the longer the bearing surface. The higher the ogive, the shorter the bearing surface.

    -Lee
    www.singleactions.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    TrxR



    Really depends on a number of factors (leade angle, secant or tangent, freebore diameter, if any) but my experience has been opposite of Mike's. ie IME GENERALLY SPEAKING the higher the ogive number (larger the radius) the shallower, to use your terminology.

    I'm not arguing nor disagreeing, just "sharing"

    "sharing is caring"

    ((((dude, this PC thing is just soooo calming eh....))))
    Hahaha! That had to be harder than you're lettin' on. Lol! Just messin' with ya. Probably, we're just coming at this from different angles, so to speak.
    Would we agree that a 10 ogive is more "pointy" than a 7? Given the same overall length, would a "pointier" die not have less bearing surface, putting less bullet in the neck?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Martin View Post
    Mike - your numbers support those ogives. For the same length bullet, the lower the ogive, the longer the bearing surface. The higher the ogive, the shorter the bearing surface.

    -Lee
    www.singleactions.com
    I with ya Lee. I was looking at proportions only. If a 7 has .370 and a 7-3/4 has .345 bearing surface, how would an 8 have .325?
    Dats all I'm sayin'. Who said we'd never use algebra, geometry and trig in real life. Somebody smack em'!
    Anybody want to tackle the math here?


    .325- Berger (8 ogive?)
    .345- 7-3/4 ogive Hillbilly
    .370- 7 ogive Cheeks

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    11,033
    Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    Hahaha! That had to be harder than you're lettin' on. Lol! Just messin' with ya. Probably, we're just coming at this from different angles, so to speak.
    Would we agree that a 10 ogive is more "pointy" than a 7? Given the same overall length, would a "pointier" die not have less bearing surface, putting less bullet in the neck?
    Yes

    Or as TrxR puts it "shallower"

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    11,033
    I'm a dumbass..... I mistead Mike's post and missed a "than"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kentucky-Home of the Kentucky Wildcats
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    I'm a dumbass..... I mistead Mike's post and missed a "than"
    You're not a dumbass. That's why I thought we had to be coming from a different angle, from a pc perspective!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Peoples Republic of California
    Posts
    90
    I don't know what Ogive they are, but I do know they shoot tiny little dots in both new Krieger 1-17's
    I just chambered up for Steve and I using the new zero lead (FB) reamer I had JGS make up for me.
    Found 2 nodes with 4198 one at 33.8, and one at 34.4. I am using the slower one.
    I posted photos of Steve's targets on another thread. Quite impressive!
    There are a lot of great bullets out there, but man these Bergers seem to shoot!
    JMO,
    Greg
    Last edited by wfcustom; 03-15-2019 at 10:58 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    585
    i have shot several bullets in my 30br.
    i have shot well over 600 of the bergers, yes they shoot very well,
    BUT
    BARTS 112 x outs are amazing in MY rifle.
    ya gotta try stuff to see what works best in YOUR rifle.

    Quote Originally Posted by wfcustom View Post
    I don't know what Ogive they are, but I do know they shoot tiny little dots in both new Krieger 1-17's
    I just chambered up for Steve and I using the new zero lead (FB) reamer I had JGS make up for me.
    Found 2 nodes with 4198 one at 33.8, and one at 34.4. I am using the slower one.
    I posted photos of Steve's targets on another thread. Quite impressive!
    There are a lot of great bullets out there, but man these Burgers seem to shoot!
    JMO,
    Greg

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cloudcroft, NM
    Posts
    679

    Lee is right

    they are 8 ogive.

    Michael

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    6,196

    I went a long time

    believing and making about any bullet shoot in my rifles. ( I had a number of good barrels) Then I got a barrel that really didn't seem to like anything. So, out of desperation I tried some from a small lot I had bought @ a Nationals from a guy who was new to the bullet making business and that barrel loved em. Shot great!

    When they were gone I was back to square one. That barrel is currently off the rifle. I've always felt that if a barrel won't shoot BIB 7's there is no hope for it so I have shot 7's for the most part, all the while I shot CF Benchrest. Even TNT's. I've won several matches using them. They work fine as long as they are sorted for Ogive slope length. I'm back to BIB 7's now with the barrel I just put on last fall.

    Pete

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •