Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNC Setup??

CNC Setup??

In another thread, we were discussing setting up a barrel in a CNC machine to do the operations, i.e., truing , chambering, facing, etc.

I am yet to see an article explaining how they Machine trues the lands and grooves in a specific spot to within .0002 so that all other subsequent operations run dead true with that spot.

Anybody have an article or a link?

there is an ar builder for dcm/cmp type shooting, in fla that uses a machine center,
    but they are not in the br accuracy game, not even close.

The set up is the same as on a manual machine.

Is there a video on TouTube showing the complete procedure?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Is there a video on TouTube showing the complete procedure?
    I don't think so.

I've thought about getting a GoPro camera and doing a time-lapse video from inside the machine showing my process start to finish. I'm a little hesitant to do so because part of what I do is unique to myself. I spent a lot of time developing it and building the tooling and I think it would be showing my hand to the competition. I guess the chuck end is nothing special, I could do that and omit my secret sauce at the other end.

Jackie

I'm not sure if this is what your looking for! take a look at these two videos might give you some ideas or answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKvEf8MwnoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4xEo5GcXHk

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by R Stiner View Post
    Jackie

I'm not sure if this is what your looking for! take a look at these two videos might give you some ideas or answers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKvEf8MwnoE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4xEo5GcXHk

Russ
    The first one was right on. Of course, to accomplish this, you have to have the True Bore Aignment Chuck, which is a really nice piece. I have thought about getting one.

How does one accomplish this type alignment without this particular style of Chuck in a CNC machine.?

CNC only controls the tool path. Positioning the work piece is another effort.

We have taken workpieces with integrate bores like a rifle chamber and used solid carbide boring tools to successfully machine comple bores as small as, say, a 22 K Hornet chamber.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	reaming.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	778.3 KB 
ID:	22112
    Jackie,
    This is my setup. Same setup as on a manual machine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	indicate chamber.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	22113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	indicate muzzle.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	912.4 KB 
ID:	22114
    I use gage pins on the muzzle these days.
    For shorter barrels I have bushing that go inside the spindle. That can drive you nuts thinking about the best way to do that. I'll just say there are times when theory says to do it one way but in practice it doesn't help. So simple is better.
    Last edited by Dave Tooley; 03-14-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Yrs ago

10 15 yrs ago i had taken a barrel to county work shop to chamber it in a few seconds it was done all but chamber by cnc bill brawand

I watch a guy

in Huston who has several big turning centers who does all sorts of parts, midsize through monster and he trues everything the same way we all do. He has probes and all but mostly he is 4 jawing it.

Pete

I have a way of holding the muzzle bore concentric to a plug that fits tightly in my spindle bore. This centers the muzzle and also is the coolant connection. The muzzle is attached to this plug and the barrel is put in the spindle from the back side. I then close my collet chuck on the shank. The throat is nearly always within a thousandth or two at this point. I then adjust the chuck like a set-tru to get the throat dialed in. I start with a “Grizzly” rod then verify with a long reach Interapid DTi. Once that is dialed in, I lock down the chuck adjustment screws, set my Z zero and run the program.

When the program is finished, I remove the barrel and have a way of holding the freshly machined chamber end in a plug that fits snug in the spindle bore. I attach the barrel to it, stick it in the spindle from the rear, close the chuck on a tapered collet adapter, dial in the muzzle, set my Z and run the muzzle program.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A747E558-9B05-45AC-9D7E-1CBAD6254C64.jpeg 
Views:	119 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	22121  

Phew!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicon Prec. View Post
    I have a way of holding the muzzle bore concentric to a plug that fits tightly in my spindle bore. This centers the muzzle and also is the coolant connection. The muzzle is attached to this plug and the barrel is put in the spindle from the back side. I then close my collet chuck on the shank. The throat is nearly always within a thousandth or two at this point. I then adjust the chuck like a set-tru to get the throat dialed in. I start with a “Grizzly” rod then verify with a long reach Interapid DTi. Once that is dialed in, I lock down the chuck adjustment screws, set my Z zero and run the program.

When the program is finished, I remove the barrel and have a way of holding the freshly machined chamber end in a plug that fits snug in the spindle bore. I attach the barrel to it, stick it in the spindle from the rear, close the chuck on a tapered collet adapter, dial in the muzzle, set my Z and run the muzzle program.
    What have you saved? Other than being able to do the workon the machine you have?

Pete

Jackie

Man clled for 25 cal blts later he called said first grp 110 chambered with cresent wernch invice friend put on threads bill brawand