Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diamond METAL cutting skilsaw blades???

Quote Originally Posted by sdean View Post
    Al sounds to me you could use your time more better. No telling how many wins and records set without using a 1" plate on their rest. Just sounds like way over kill.
    Do you shoot 600/1K?

Al,
    You'll need an AirArc 6ft stinger w/ 3/8" carbon rod &/compressed air plugged into the "whip" w/600AmpDCRP to blow through 1" plate in 1 pass.
    Like a hot knife through butter.
    Turn amperage down to 450 & feather edges to your liking.

Plasma Cutting is restricted in several area's by comparison,using compressed air or nitrogen.
    I won't advocate the use of any mixed gases, unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dans40X View Post
    Al,
    You'll need an AirArc 6ft stinger w/ 3/8" carbon rod &/compressed air plugged into the "whip" w/600AmpDCRP to blow through 1" plate in 1 pass.

Plasma Cutting is restricted in several area's by comparison,using compressed air or nitrogen.
    I won't advocate the use of any mixed gases, unless you know exactly what you are doing.
    My welding skills are pretty much limited to farm work, but they don't often break. .
    I have a local shop with a big cnc plasma table and the cuts that I've seen them do are very clean. I was just curious what the pros and cons of this vs air arc cutting are. You're the man and I appreciate your input as I too have some cutting that I'll be farming out to someone soon, similar to what Al has....likely 1 inch steel plate. Thanks in advance Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by Dans40X View Post
    Al,

Is that Arcair brand? This is what I've looked at.

Al,
    Yes.

Reverse SMAW/Stick welding.
    Carbon Stick is electrode-consumable.
    Compressed air blows molten material out of puddle.

Take it to a shop with the appropriate equipment and pay them to cut it. Ultimately the cheapest option.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Take it to a shop with the appropriate equipment and pay them to cut it. Ultimately the cheapest option.
    Generally speaking, you are right

And I've done exactly that, 7 times, using industrial bandsaws, water-jet, CNC plasma, CNC laser plate cutter and as I mentioned, my friend's huge industrial rotary slow-saw/cold-saw

But I'm a prototyper NOT into production at all. Production I job out once I've a design, I've got 20+ more cuts to make, all singly and days/weeks/months even years apart. All different.

Plus, I like people and people like me....... I bring a hunk of plate into a shop and we BS and tell lies and in 5min the plate is cut and we're fighting over "the bill". I'm thinking "Dude, it costs 30 bucks just to fire that big plasma cutter up" and he's thinking "I can't bill this guy 50 bucks for a 12" cut" ....... and so on.

Basically, because I don't like being beholden to folks, I'm looking for a way to make the cuts myself.

Cool Wondering

[QUOTE=parshal;820948]I've got the Makita carbide saw as well. I'm amazed by what it can cut.[/QUOTEWILL THIS SAW CUT CARBIDE LET ME KNOW BILL BRAWAND

[QUOTE=bbrawand;821554]
    Quote Originally Posted by parshal View Post
    I've got the Makita carbide saw as well. I'm amazed by what it can cut.[/QUOTEWILL THIS SAW CUT CARBIDE LET ME KNOW BILL BRAWAND
    I use them to cut pipe, tubing and plate less than 1/4" but I burnt the blade up very quickly on the one inch thick stuff

It made a tidy slit about an inch long