Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Started

Quote Originally Posted by kseatm View Post
    ...me and a couple of friends went to a match. We couldn't shoot three gun, just 10 shot and UL. But we asked if we could just draw benches and set up our stuff. No issues with that. Next we asked if we could just hang a practice target and mess around while the other people shot their matches. No issues with that. It was fun! We didn't just have to sit there and waste time. Made the trip over to the match worth it. No, we didn't get up and down or go back and forth from the bench. Just sat there and shot a few shots when we felt like it. And nothing counted towards anything.

Yet, someone got butt hurt about it. Maybe it's against the rules? I don't know. But we're not allowed to do that anymore. We sit for two hours and watch four or five people say "Look at me, I shoot sporter! I shoot three gun. Yay me!" Personally don't care if they do. It's neat that there are classes in IR and there is a rich history of sporter and three gun. But for newcomers, and the majority of the rest of us in this game, it can get boring just sitting there waiting to shoot a few cards for score. But again, if that's what the people want, then it's fine. I don't make the rules so can't complain. But when the debate of what to do to get people into this comes along, I'd recommend that maybe do as Keith mentioned. Let the people who come at least shoot their guns. It wouldn't be scored for record, but at least it gives them a reason to come to a match and see what it's about.

But again, I don't know. Maybe its just the simple fact that this is expensive and that's what keeps most away from getting into it.

JMO

Kenny
    Kenny,

Your post started off talking about how to attract new shooters and specifically what to do with prospective new shooters that show up to a match. Then it devolved into a sad story about not being allowed to practice during relays at a sanctioned match. I didn't attend the match where you and your buds where allowed to "mess around" during relays but I do know there were several complaints. Specifically, that it was being used as an opportunity to tune rifles with a lot of up and down and tuner twisting. If you don't understand what's wrong with that then explaining it isn't going to do any good.

If I was in your shoes (or anyone who only shoots UL at Piney Hill) and didn't like waiting through the 3-Gun match I would pursue a couple of options. First, I'd ask Chris if I could pay the fees to shoot targets knowing my scores would be DQ'ed. Of course, the same rules and behavior would be expected (i.e. jack-in-the-box tuner twisting.) Or, you could call Chris and let him know you'll be there for 10 Shot and UL and come in a few hours later.

There are also several weekends open at Piney Hill where you can organize matches for shooters to bring wherever they want to shoot. Might be a good way to put your many ideas into practice and experience what it's like to run matches.

Team Yay Me!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxPower View Post
    Kenny,

Your post started off talking about how to attract new shooters and specifically what to do with prospective new shooters that show up to a match. Then it devolved into a sad story about not being allowed to practice during relays at a sanctioned match. I didn't attend the match where you and your buds where allowed to "mess around" during relays but I do know there were several complaints. Specifically, that it was being used as an opportunity to tune rifles with a lot of up and down and tuner twisting. If you don't understand what's wrong with that then explaining it isn't going to do any good.

If I was in your shoes (or anyone who only shoots UL at Piney Hill) and didn't like waiting through the 3-Gun match I would pursue a couple of options. First, I'd ask Chris if I could pay the fees to shoot targets knowing my scores would be DQ'ed. Of course, the same rules and behavior would be expected (i.e. jack-in-the-box tuner twisting.) Or, you could call Chris and let him know you'll be there for 10 Shot and UL and come in a few hours later.

There are also several weekends open at Piney Hill where you can organize matches for shooters to bring wherever they want to shoot. Might be a good way to put your many ideas into practice and experience what it's like to run matches.

Team Yay Me!
    Bruce,

You bring up some great suggestions! Already do some of what you mention, though still have too much on my plate to organize and run matches.

And yes, I do understand what you're trying to say, so no, you don't have to explain anything.

The only thing I don't understand is what is the point of your post? Other than to point out how upset you are with me.

I posted a somewhat related example of what Keith is trying to do. Basically saying that I thought it was a great idea. You're upset with that? Am fully aware that some have different opinions about how to go about this. But why bust on me and my "buds" in this fashion? Heck, you could have done that in person many times since this happened. But you never said a word. Not to them, not to me.

The thing is, you weren't there. You are not the match director. We asked permission beforehand. I personally asked a bunch of people if they would have an issue. The only input we received was to go for it. Now, from reading this, it seems you're upset with me. Am sorry that what happened upsets you. But am truly sorry if anything that happened that day caused someone to want to complain to you. Can't figure out why they just didn't speak up at the time. Everyone there seemed fine with letting three people sit and shoot a couple of shots on a practice target while one of the matches was being shot. And no, there was no up and down, no jack in the box tuner twisting. So, if nobody said they had an issue with it when we asked, did anyone actually have an issue? Or is it just you that has an issue with it? If so, just say so. But again, if you were there and voiced an objection, it wouldn't have happened. We can go round and round, but in the end, it was an example of how match directors, and the shooters who are in this already, could possibly help get more people to matches and get them shooting. Or is all of the chatter just that? Maybe it's more of a "I want it this way because it benefits me" than a "I want it this way because it helps the sport grow".

You suggest that a person could pay to shoot a gun that doesn't qualify for a particular weight class but the score would not count. I think that's what Keith was doing and that I was agreeing with. Although we did not pay, nor did we shoot a sanctioned target the day that the world evidently stopped turning at Piney Hill.

Reading your reply, it seems that you're more interested in being upset with me personally than saying yay or nay towards what is being discussed. Seems more a personality issue than an issue with how to possibly change things a little to get people more inclined to come to matches. But maybe I'm just not reading it right. Either way, it doesn't matter what either of us think.

To be clear, I have no issues with 3 gun, nor those who shoot it. Wish them the best of luck. Don't want to see it go away. And it looks like Chris is trying to really bring it to the front here locally. Great for him.

But do worry that it's hard to get people into this sport. So thought it was neat that Keith was trying different things. It seems you're not a fan. So be it, not everyone shares the same viewpoint.

Kenny
    Last edited by kseatm; 03-13-2019 at 05:18 AM.

I got involved in

NRA Smallbore Silhouette this winter and they have a program that accommodates beginners part and parcel to the whole organization. First of all, it's relatively difficult to do so the have a range of classes beginning with Unclassified to B then to A then AA and AAA then master, all point driven. Seems to work fine. Rifles must be within certain boundries, like 9 pounds, clip fed, 2 lb , YES 2 pound trigger pull, any sights. In other words, a real squirrel rifle.

The rifles aside, the class system is what I think makes it all successful. Shooting the Sunshine Classic this weekend and the ranks are loaded with young people as well as older folks too. A grand gets one a first class rifle and scope used. Lots of CZ's and lots of Anschutz's as well as one 10-22. Most of the kids are shooting off the shelf CZ's, from what I saw. A teen age girl won the whole thing today but winning was spread out over a lot of ground, even touched this old codger.

It just ain't right to expect folks to start in the Master Class and is a problem in all Benchrest Orrgs, IMHO. I've always thought it and said so every year or so.

Pete

Yea Pete

Great to hear Your super G
    nsmthinjg found a nich. Pete and your tube videos. Can take you to the promised land .Great guy With limited skills. Give um hell pete.

Thanks Gordie

Quote Originally Posted by GordonE View Post
    Great to hear Your super G
    nsmthinjg found a nich. Pete and your tube videos. Can take you to the promised land .Great guy With limited skills. Give um hell pete.
    Mebby try writing when you don't have a skin full.

Pete

Any Time

Mebby

Ideal rifle

To me, the Cooper Bench Rest Model (57-M) is ideal for a beginner. You can read more here http://www.quicklypick.com/.

At any match there will be a couple shooters w/ guns for sale or know someone who is no longer shooting.
    That is about the best way to get started. Any gun for sale is also available to try on a couple targets, from my experience.