Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Getting Started

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    35

    Getting Started

    IF i were to look into Rimfire Benchrest, what would be a good starter rifle without being stupid expensive or stupid cheap? In silhouette this question is usually answered "Anschutz" but i've found that my CZ is a very good starter rifle.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Manhattan & Sag Harbor, N.Y.
    Posts
    432
    I started with a Cooper Bench Rest Model (57-M) and have friends that started with H&R Model 12s. Work great for me at an attractive price while I had a custom one built.

    Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 02-10-2019 at 12:41 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boothbay Harbor, ME
    Posts
    542
    !st go to the club you intend to shoot & see what they're doing. Sanctioned br matches, or something different. Find out the rules to be sure whatever you buy conforms to them.
    If its informal br matches one of the factory guns may compete. i.e, Annie, 40x, Suhl, Cooper, etc.
    But if its sanctioned br matches then buy a used custom rifle & shoot it before you buy it. Trust me, you'll spend less.
    I went a different route & ended up frustrated, none the wiser, & cost a fortune.
    But 1st & foremost, get to some matches & talk to the competitors. You'll learn a ton & pick up on what's needed.

    Keith

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    389

    Get a Good used 40x 0r Suhl!

    Quote Originally Posted by kujones View Post
    IF i were to look into Rimfire Benchrest, what would be a good starter rifle without being stupid expensive or stupid cheap? In silhouette this question is usually answered "Anschutz" but i've found that my CZ is a very good starter rifle.
    These can compete with a Ratchet, Muller or good 4g after market barrel ! around $1800-2000 for a good one ! Annie`s not so well unless they have the good Wing Safety Ignition ! Otherwise you will have more fun Midget Bowling ! If you just want to plink stay with the CZ !
    Last edited by Slick Willy; 02-10-2019 at 02:40 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Augusta, Maine & Palm Coast, Fl
    Posts
    5,789

    One of the issues

    our sport faces is an entry level or the lack of one. I realize that it is very difficult to run a true factory class, been there, done that but still, I have always thought we could all benefit by having some sort of entry level for folks to get started and or give it a try. Of course, there is nothing that prevents folks from just showing up and shooting what they brung. Ain't a lot of fun though.

    Joe Haller use to run a true factory class in which he had a strict claiming rule. I suppose that could be troublesome as well. Mebby why what we got is what we got?

    Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 02-10-2019 at 02:47 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    1,519

    Pete

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    our sport faces is an entry level or the lack of one. I realize that it is very difficult to run a true factory class, been there, done that but still, I have always thought we could all benefit by having some sort of entry level for folks to get started and or give it a try. Of course, there is nothing that prevents folks from just showing up and shooting what they brung. Ain't a lot of fun though.

    Joe Haller use to run a true factory class in which he had a strict claiming rule. I suppose that could be troublesome as well. Mebby why what we got is what we got?

    Pete
    my take on the factory class is that its only troublesome because a few want to stretch the limits beyond the breaking point with their "factory rifles". A Cooper is a factory rifle but its in a league by itself compared to a 52 or 37, which are in a league of their own compared to a Mossberg 44, 144, Savage etc.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    West central NH
    Posts
    448
    See what you're local club is shooting first. I am not close to any IR50/50 matches other than Country Pond, in Southern NH. They are heavily sporter oriented. The majority of cards will be shot with one. I had to scratch to get one of my rifles to make 7.5 pounds. My first experience there was last summer. The previous fall I had bought a Cooper 57M. In hindsight, I would have been better off to look for a used sporter on this sight's classifieds or from Bob White, because the sporter would have got a lot more use. You won't be shooting a 13.5 pound rifle very much by comparison.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Boothbay Harbor, ME
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by vtmarmot View Post
    See what you're local club is shooting first. I am not close to any IR50/50 matches other than Country Pond, in Southern NH. They are heavily sporter oriented. The majority of cards will be shot with one. I had to scratch to get one of my rifles to make 7.5 pounds. My first experience there was last summer. The previous fall I had bought a Cooper 57M. In hindsight, I would have been better off to look for a used sporter on this sight's classifieds or from Bob White, because the sporter would have got a lot more use. You won't be shooting a 13.5 pound rifle very much by comparison.
    Which is what I had said Peter. Know what there is available for you to shoot before buying anything. We're the same sporter heavy at Lincoln County up in ME. To a fault probably as neither William or I get much attendance. We still allow anyone to shoot whatever they bring however.
    Another example is a couple guys in northern NH put together a couple customs last year. One Joe Chacon built & another built a F-Class gun on a 2500x that weighs something like 15lbs. Both with 42x+ scopes. They still come & shoot & enjoy themselves but admittedly didn't know our rules. And frankly, didn't seem to care. They built what they wanted. Wayne did allow me to add a UL class for them & let them shoot simultaneously with us.
    Which is another topic that deserves some consideration, especially for those of us that have put ourselves out on an island so to speak. Allow the different classes to shoot together. It works in other organizations.

    Keith

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    88

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    389

    JP "The Hammer" Nelson

    Just picked up JP Nelsons 4 22RFBR Rifles ,Don`t Have pictures yet ! He has two 40X`s , Suhl & a Falcon/two barrels ! You can see`em & Shoot`em @ ChickenFoot this weekend !

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    6,412
    The earlu CZ452's with a trigger spring change and some Lapua Midas M worked great.

    But finding any Midas M?


    ,

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •