Thread: Getting Started

Getting Started

IF i were to look into Rimfire Benchrest, what would be a good starter rifle without being stupid expensive or stupid cheap? In silhouette this question is usually answered "Anschutz" but i've found that my CZ is a very good starter rifle.

I started with a Cooper Bench Rest Model (57-M) and have friends that started with H&R Model 12s. Work great for me at an attractive price while I had a custom one built.

Bob
    Last edited by rkittine; 02-10-2019 at 12:41 PM.

!st go to the club you intend to shoot & see what they're doing. Sanctioned br matches, or something different. Find out the rules to be sure whatever you buy conforms to them.
    If its informal br matches one of the factory guns may compete. i.e, Annie, 40x, Suhl, Cooper, etc.
    But if its sanctioned br matches then buy a used custom rifle & shoot it before you buy it. Trust me, you'll spend less.
    I went a different route & ended up frustrated, none the wiser, & cost a fortune.
    But 1st & foremost, get to some matches & talk to the competitors. You'll learn a ton & pick up on what's needed.

Keith

Get a Good used 40x 0r Suhl!

Quote Originally Posted by kujones View Post
    IF i were to look into Rimfire Benchrest, what would be a good starter rifle without being stupid expensive or stupid cheap? In silhouette this question is usually answered "Anschutz" but i've found that my CZ is a very good starter rifle.
    These can compete with a Ratchet, Muller or good 4g after market barrel ! around $1800-2000 for a good one ! Annie`s not so well unless they have the good Wing Safety Ignition ! Otherwise you will have more fun Midget Bowling ! If you just want to plink stay with the CZ !
    Last edited by Slick Willy; 02-10-2019 at 02:40 PM.

One of the issues

our sport faces is an entry level or the lack of one. I realize that it is very difficult to run a true factory class, been there, done that but still, I have always thought we could all benefit by having some sort of entry level for folks to get started and or give it a try. Of course, there is nothing that prevents folks from just showing up and shooting what they brung. Ain't a lot of fun though.

Joe Haller use to run a true factory class in which he had a strict claiming rule. I suppose that could be troublesome as well. Mebby why what we got is what we got?

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 02-10-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    our sport faces is an entry level or the lack of one. I realize that it is very difficult to run a true factory class, been there, done that but still, I have always thought we could all benefit by having some sort of entry level for folks to get started and or give it a try. Of course, there is nothing that prevents folks from just showing up and shooting what they brung. Ain't a lot of fun though.

Joe Haller use to run a true factory class in which he had a strict claiming rule. I suppose that could be troublesome as well. Mebby why what we got is what we got?

Pete
    my take on the factory class is that its only troublesome because a few want to stretch the limits beyond the breaking point with their "factory rifles". A Cooper is a factory rifle but its in a league by itself compared to a 52 or 37, which are in a league of their own compared to a Mossberg 44, 144, Savage etc.

See what you're local club is shooting first. I am not close to any IR50/50 matches other than Country Pond, in Southern NH. They are heavily sporter oriented. The majority of cards will be shot with one. I had to scratch to get one of my rifles to make 7.5 pounds. My first experience there was last summer. The previous fall I had bought a Cooper 57M. In hindsight, I would have been better off to look for a used sporter on this sight's classifieds or from Bob White, because the sporter would have got a lot more use. You won't be shooting a 13.5 pound rifle very much by comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by vtmarmot View Post
    See what you're local club is shooting first. I am not close to any IR50/50 matches other than Country Pond, in Southern NH. They are heavily sporter oriented. The majority of cards will be shot with one. I had to scratch to get one of my rifles to make 7.5 pounds. My first experience there was last summer. The previous fall I had bought a Cooper 57M. In hindsight, I would have been better off to look for a used sporter on this sight's classifieds or from Bob White, because the sporter would have got a lot more use. You won't be shooting a 13.5 pound rifle very much by comparison.
    Which is what I had said Peter. Know what there is available for you to shoot before buying anything. We're the same sporter heavy at Lincoln County up in ME. To a fault probably as neither William or I get much attendance. We still allow anyone to shoot whatever they bring however.
    Another example is a couple guys in northern NH put together a couple customs last year. One Joe Chacon built & another built a F-Class gun on a 2500x that weighs something like 15lbs. Both with 42x+ scopes. They still come & shoot & enjoy themselves but admittedly didn't know our rules. And frankly, didn't seem to care. They built what they wanted. Wayne did allow me to add a UL class for them & let them shoot simultaneously with us.
    Which is another topic that deserves some consideration, especially for those of us that have put ourselves out on an island so to speak. Allow the different classes to shoot together. It works in other organizations.

Keith

JP "The Hammer" Nelson

Just picked up JP Nelsons 4 22RFBR Rifles ,Don`t Have pictures yet ! He has two 40X`s , Suhl & a Falcon/two barrels ! You can see`em & Shoot`em @ ChickenFoot this weekend !

The earlu CZ452's with a trigger spring change and some Lapua Midas M worked great.

But finding any Midas M?