Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scope choice for .22 BR

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Willy View Post
    See you this weekend in the Swamp Landy , No Mirage in da Bayou! Who say Dat!
    Leaving in the morning with -20 deg's wind chill and blowing snow. The Swamp will feel like tropical weather and it'll only take us about 16 hrs to get there. See yuh in a couple of days.

Landy

Many thanks for all the comments and opinons, here's what I've done. I discovered that there is an optics supplier here in the UK who give you 60 days to try a 'scope ordered by mail and, if you don't get on with it in that time, they will swap it for something else. I ordered a Sightron 36 x 42 BRD. It's now arrived. I'm going to put it on the rifle and shoot it over the next couple of weeks and see how it goes.

The comments about indoor mirage amused me. One of my clubs has a 100yd range in an old railway tunnel. It's cleared for any calibre up to .50. Get a few guys in there with larger calibres.....or perhaps a bit of black powder in a Martini .577/450 and 'mirage' takes on a whole new definitiion!!

Well, just to let you know I've had a few sessions with the Sightron 36x42 BRD and it's a keeper. Bearing in mind it's on a new (to me) rifle, I shot three x 10 target cards last Friday and hit 100(5x). 97(3x) and 100(5x) at 25m. As someone on this thread suggested, it has caused me to think more about my breathing and trigger squeeze. Thanks to all who offered their opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Plecotus View Post
    Well, just to let you know I've had a few sessions with the Sightron 36x42 BRD and it's a keeper. Bearing in mind it's on a new (to me) rifle, I shot three x 10 target cards last Friday and hit 100(5x). 97(3x) and 100(5x) at 25m. As someone on this thread suggested, it has caused me to think more about my breathing and trigger squeeze. Thanks to all who offered their opinions.
    You've discovered something very important. Better equipment can make you aware of additional things to pay attention to. Without the better glass, you wouldn't have been aware that your breathing and trigger squeeze needed better technique.

Most shooters around here (USBR) use the Weaver 36 w/ small dot. The small dot can be held off that small o on your target. X ring im assuming that is.

I even use the 8x booster. At 25 yrds it takes quite a bit to get mirage that bothers even w/ the boosted 36x.
    You can see, initially, a small amt of heartbeat in the scope. Initially means when you first start w/ that power scope.

Hopefully you could try a a 36x and a 24x before purchasing.

Whatever, you will have much joy, disappointment, frustration, and challenge in the BR sport.

I use a Sightron S3, 10-50X60 with fine cross hairs. If cost is a consideration, Mueller 8-32X44 target dot is a good alternative.

40 X scope

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in Zhills View Post
    I use a Sightron S3, 10-50X60 with fine cross hairs. If cost is a consideration, Mueller 8-32X44 target dot is a good alternative.
    The Mueller 40 X is worth a look also.

Mueller 40x56

Quote Originally Posted by redrockranger View Post
    The Mueller 40 X is worth a look also.
    I just purchased, and used, the Mueller 40x56. The glass is very good for the price point. My only negative is the competition reticle. The dot is very small and light (difficult for these old eyes to see). It would be a plus if the scope was offered with reticle options

I use a Weaver T36 at 25 yrds w/ booster and it is NOT too much.

Recently read a review of the Mueller 40x or so. Sounds like a great scope for the $$$.. Id look at one if I needed one.

What booster are you using on the t 36? I use one at 50yds and the booster sounds interesting ? What the effective magnification with the booster?

Also how bad does it degrade the optics ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    What booster are you using on the t 36? I use one at 50yds and the booster sounds interesting ? What the effective magnification with the booster?

Also how bad does it degrade the optics ?

Thanks
    It is a screw in-into the eye piece. I believe the package said it adds 8x. I will try to find the brochure that came w/ it. Seems like it was Bullseye something.

I have it on the T36 w/ small dot. I dont notice ant distortion.

Check with Bruno's supplies for the Bullzeye pro, either screw in or slip on styles.
    I have both and prefer the screw in model.
    Regards,

Joe McNeill
    SW Arkansas