Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 73 of 73

Thread: 30-30 600 yard build

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    556
    While this is an interesting thread, it exposes how little attention/knowledge BR people pay/have regarding history:
    dating back, at least, to the early 1980's, 30/30 based cartridges, have proven capable of top precision!

    Most notably, the 30Aardvark (an "improved 30/30), championed by Frank McKee and Gary Long, plus a multitude of other 30/30 "improved" versions, which head-spaced on the rim, shoulder, and/or, combination thereof. The pair that Frank McKee ran, were based upon Rem. 788's smithed originally by Dale Madera, and later re-barreled by Gary Long, were legendary. I cannot recall them all, but there were may successful versions campaigned in the Hunter Class . . . A good barrel, chambered with attention to detail, and cartridges of this capacity are simply efficient and capable of extreme precision. RG

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    317
    But Randy;
    They only worked if you wore Hawaiian shirts.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    But Randy;
    They only worked if you wore Hawaiian shirts.
    Francis, if you look closer, the shirts were Samoan and, obviously, WWII era cargo cult rejects.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    317
    He says he bought them on a clearance or liquidation sale in Hawaii and has had them for years. I believe that.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cloudcroft, NM
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    While this is an interesting thread, it exposes how little attention/knowledge BR people pay/have regarding history:
    dating back, at least, to the early 1980's, 30/30 based cartridges, have proven capable of top precision!

    Most notably, the 30Aardvark (an "improved 30/30), championed by Frank McKee and Gary Long, plus a multitude of other 30/30 "improved" versions, which head-spaced on the rim, shoulder, and/or, combination thereof. The pair that Frank McKee ran, were based upon Rem. 788's smithed originally by Dale Madera, and later re-barreled by Gary Long, were legendary. I cannot recall them all, but there were may successful versions campaigned in the Hunter Class . . . A good barrel, chambered with attention to detail, and cartridges of this capacity are simply efficient and capable of extreme precision. RG

    I think a lot of shooters also forget Harvey Miller's .1629" agg. from around 1980 with his 30-30 based 6 MCR. This was the first ever sub .2" agg. ever shot, and that record stood for many years. I would love to see the cartridge dimensions from Rifle magazine for the 22 MCR and 6 MCR.

    Michael

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    1,651

    And

    Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    While this is an interesting thread, it exposes how little attention/knowledge BR people pay/have regarding history:
    dating back, at least, to the early 1980's, 30/30 based cartridges, have proven capable of top precision!

    Most notably, the 30Aardvark (an "improved 30/30), championed by Frank McKee and Gary Long, plus a multitude of other 30/30 "improved" versions, which head-spaced on the rim, shoulder, and/or, combination thereof. The pair that Frank McKee ran, were based upon Rem. 788's smithed originally by Dale Madera, and later re-barreled by Gary Long, were legendary. I cannot recall them all, but there were may successful versions campaigned in the Hunter Class . . . A good barrel, chambered with attention to detail, and cartridges of this capacity are simply efficient and capable of extreme precision. RG
    if'n you question Randy on his comments about the Aardvark and the two gents mentioned, go to the IBS tourney pages and look for yourself. Its too bad IBS doesn't offer former records in a separate section. That little bit of history should be preserved as it offers a chronological progression and view of how things have progressed. --Greg
    Last edited by glp; 11-03-2019 at 04:46 PM.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Lower Dakota Territory
    Posts
    1,736
    Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    While this is an interesting thread, it exposes how little attention/knowledge BR people pay/have regarding history:
    dating back, at least, to the early 1980's, 30/30 based cartridges, have proven capable of top precision!

    Most notably, the 30Aardvark (an "improved 30/30), championed by Frank McKee and Gary Long, plus a multitude of other 30/30 "improved" versions, which head-spaced on the rim, shoulder, and/or, combination thereof. The pair that Frank McKee ran, were based upon Rem. 788's smithed originally by Dale Madera, and later re-barreled by Gary Long, were legendary. I cannot recall them all, but there were may successful versions campaigned in the Hunter Class . . . A good barrel, chambered with attention to detail, and cartridges of this capacity are simply efficient and capable of extreme precision. RG
    Amen.

    There's an interesting dichotomy among many competitive shooters (Benchrest with a capital B, as Jackie Schmidt says). On one hand, many stay very current on equipment and techniques that are really cutting edge. But at the same time, many will look at something pretty radical and borderline revolutionary...that really works...and seemingly don't connect the dots or wonder why.

    P.S. Frank told me he once bought a whole rack of Hawaiian shirts for a buck apiece. Too funny!

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    556
    Quote Originally Posted by mturner View Post
    I think a lot of shooters also forget Harvey Miller's .1629" agg. from around 1980 with his 30-30 based 6 MCR. This was the first ever sub .2" agg. ever shot, and that record stood for many years. I would love to see the cartridge dimensions from Rifle magazine for the 22 MCR and 6 MCR.

    Michael
    And, the Donaldson Wasp, etc. . . . "there really isn't much new under the sun".

    When I took over the TcL American Hunter Class Postal Conference (TEAM League), about 1987, there were, I believe, for the entire season, a total of five 250-xx scores: 17 five-man teams; five "qualifying scores" per team (how many shot, but did not make the top five, who knows?).

    There were four "matches" per season, or, 340 qualifying scores - using his Madera 788/30Aardvark, Frank posted four of the five!! Frank was one of a precious few who could regularly score 19/20X with a Hunter Class Rifle, topped with a 6X optic, not to mention 21X more than once - the 30/30 based case certainly was not a handicap! To this day, 21X isn't a 'bad' score with a 13.5#, 30-55X scoped VfS rifle. Precision well used by Frank McKee.RG

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wilcox, PA
    Posts
    115

    Yrs ago

    1970s jennie lynn shot teen ag at south creek 1970s eddy goff shot teen at camiuls ny in 1970s vic swindlehurst shot a short 30 30 necked to6mm shot lot ones at london ont

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,447
    Yo Michael..... not wanting to derail this fine thread but have you ever used a standard magnum boltfaced action like a BAT to extract the 30-30 case?

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cloudcroft, NM
    Posts
    674

    Yes

    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Yo Michael..... not wanting to derail this fine thread but have you ever used a standard magnum boltfaced action like a BAT to extract the 30-30 case?
    Al,

    My HV rifle also uses an action that I built. The bolt head for that rifle also uses interchangeable bolt face bushings. Sizes range from 222 Rem. all the way to the belted magnum. I have found that the belted magnum bolt face pulls the 30-30 case without a bushing, so the short answer is "yes", a magnum bolt face will pull a 30-30 case just fine, but this can also depend on the extractor.

    Michael

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    washington.........STATE that is.
    Posts
    10,447
    Quote Originally Posted by mturner View Post
    Al,

    My HV rifle also uses an action that I built. The bolt head for that rifle also uses interchangeable bolt face bushings. Sizes range from 222 Rem. all the way to the belted magnum. I have found that the belted magnum bolt face pulls the 30-30 case without a bushing, so the short answer is "yes", a magnum bolt face will pull a 30-30 case just fine, but this can also depend on the extractor.

    Michael
    Thank you sir....

    My 600yd Heavy is a 300WSM. I've dreamed of a nice 6MM barrel but been stymied by the bf ........ I really dislike the 243WSSM case and this post lit a fire under me....

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Cloudcroft, NM
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    Thank you sir....

    My 600yd Heavy is a 300WSM. I've dreamed of a nice 6MM barrel but been stymied by the bf ........ I really dislike the 243WSSM case and this post lit a fire under me....
    Al,
    A 6mm based on the 30-30 case has proven to give extreme performance. I have pushed a 70 gr. bullet at 3794 fps. with a 22" barrel with a dose of RL15. I would expect velocities with a 110 gr bullet to reach between 3000 fps. and 3100 fps. from a longer tube.

    Michael

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •