Thread: bullet making equipment

bullet making equipment

I've got a corbin press and dies that I inherited, and I am considering giving bullet making a try since I have most of the stuff just collecting dust. I've never swaged a thing in my life so please be patient. I am unsure if I have all the pieces of the puzzle to do it. Mainly the press and dies are where my concerns lie. I have a core swaging die, core seating die, and point up die, they are all corbin dies. It seems to me i'm missing multiple sizes of punch for core seating. I found in his notes he was using J4 jackets, but since those aren't as available as they used to be switching to hines precision jackets might be problematic. I looked at the punch for the point up die and it is flat, not concave. Bad for pressure ring? I may also have miss matched dies considering the swaged core that was found in the box with the core swaging die weighs 47.0 grains, but the jacket with seated core in the core seating die box weighs 90.1 grains. An 0.8125 jacket weighs 43 grains?? I doubt it. I also have no clue what sort of die like object is currently in the press, it has no markings of any kind. I know this is a mess, and I apologize if I missed any crucial info or am oblivious to the obvious.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image4.jpeg 
Views:	160 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	21937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image2.jpeg 
Views:	167 
Size:	1.73 MB 
ID:	21935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image3.jpeg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	21936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image5.jpeg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	21938   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image6.jpeg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	21939   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image7.jpeg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	21940  

Quote Originally Posted by .22 ppc View Post
    I've got a corbin press and dies that I inherited, and I am considering giving bullet making a try since I have most of the stuff just collecting dust. I've never swaged a thing in my life so please be patient. I am unsure if I have all the pieces of the puzzle to do it. Mainly the press and dies are where my concerns lie. I have a core swaging die, core seating die, and point up die, they are all corbin dies. It seems to me i'm missing multiple sizes of punch for core seating. I found in his notes he was using J4 jackets, but since those aren't as available as they used to be switching to hines precision jackets might be problematic. I looked at the punch for the point up die and it is flat, not concave. Bad for pressure ring? I may also have miss matched dies considering the swaged core that was found in the box with the core swaging die weighs 47.0 grains, but the jacket with seated core in the core seating die box weighs 90.1 grains. An 0.8125 jacket weighs 43 grains?? I doubt it. I also have no clue what sort of die like object is currently in the press, it has no markings of any kind. I know this is a mess, and I apologize if I missed any crucial info or am oblivious to the obvious.
    I can't help directly, but Corbin has some inexpensive little books that would probably get you sorted out faster than a pile of responses here.

GsT

New Vineyard, Maine via Milford, Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by .22 ppc View Post
    You also might want to get on You Tube. They have a lot of video's that might help u out.

Do a search on here for " another bullet making thread". Lee did a complete start to finish about making bullets. Lots of pics and info.
    Check that out , it should help answer some of your questions and will probably make you have many more.
    Joe