Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini lathes?

Mini lathes?

Anyone here use a Mini lathe for small jobs or in the reloading room? If so what do you use it for and what size and model are you using?

Thanks

Sheridan is what I used for small stuff (not much) before I got my big lathe.

I meant Sherline !
    Last edited by Spot shooter; 01-28-2019 at 11:09 PM.

Years ago

Varmint Al had an upgrade series, if you will, on how to make a mini lathe more user friendly if it can be found and it's something one wants to persue. There are times I wish I had two lathes . Sometimes one has one's main lathe set up for something and wants to do a small, simple job of a different kind. A mini lathe might suffice. I had a micro mini once and found it nearly useless so gave it away. I bought it to do case work with but it just didn't have any redeeming qualities.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 01-28-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    Varmint Al had an upgrade series, if you will, on how to make a mini lathe more user friendly if it can be found and it's something one wants to persue. There are times I wish I had two lathes . Sometimes one has one's main lathe set up for something and wants to do a small, simple job of a different kind. A mini lathe might suffice. I had a micro mini once and found it nearly useless so gave it away. I bought it to do case work with but it just didn't have any redeeming qualities.

Pete
    I have a 7 X 10 mini lathe and I agree, Pete. I think it's taking up the space that ought to be filled with a Dillon 650XL.

Thanks I might just start looking for a good big lathe.

Any suggestions on a full sized lathe?

Thanks

In my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post

Thanks
    the 14-40's made in Taiwan are pretty dern good for our purposes. I have a similar one and once I saw what it was I sold my Heavy 10. I wanted something more modern and more robust in the cross slide and compound area so that I might mount a DRO there if I chose to, there was some meat to work with. The Heavy 10 is pretty dainty in that area.

I found the lathe I have for under 1K and in good shape. The previous owner had never used the 4 jaw and the protective coating still was on much of the machine and other accessories. It is a 1994 but still in very good to excellent shape. I wanted the extra bed length as well, just because it is better to have it than not I guess. My Heavy 10 was a shorty

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 01-29-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks
    It sounds as if a 9" SB would fill your needs. There are lots of them around and plenty of parts if needed. If you plan on doing a fair amount of barrel work then a H10 SB or a similar machine would be a better choice,although the 9" machine will do as good of a job. On the 9" you would want a 4.5' bed as you would have to do your barrel work between centers. Because of their size they lack the rigidity of of a 10" so you would have to make a few more passes when threading a barrel. The quality of the job would be just as good it, it would just take a little longer. As long as you are not getting paid by the hour I guess it wouldn't matter!

Thanks
    If I were looking for a new 1440 lathe, this one would be on the top of my list. Been salivating over this lathe for awhile, the CFO just would not release the funds.

https://eisenm.com/products/eisen-14...cast-iron-base

look at this. in single phase it is only 8 speed, but if you can deal with 3p it is 16 speed.
    look at the add on's like dro , light etc

it weighs 2000 lbs..that is a good thing
    https://www.southern-tool.com/store/...40gh_lathe.php

YCL-1440GH-1 - BIRMINGHAM ENGINE LATHE - 14X40 D1-4, 8 SPD, 1-1/2 BORE, 3HP,220V, 1PH (8-SPEEDS ONLY ON 220V/1 PHASE UNITS)
    "DUE TO TARIFFS PRICES GOOD ON IN STOCK INVENTORY ONLY - CALL 800-458-3687 X1 FOR AVAIABILTY"
    Mfg. item #: YCL-1440GH-1
    CPTYCL-1440GH-1
    lease to own for as little as:$126 per month!
    Call for freight quote on this item or we will confirm freight charges before shipping.1

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by martin zuck View Post
    It sounds as if a 9" SB would fill your needs. ... On the 9" you would want a 4.5' bed as you would have to do your barrel work between centers. ... The quality of the job would be just as good it, it would just take a little longer.
    I've done a dozen or so barrels between centers on a 10K with 4.5 foot bed. A 9" would be the same. Either is definitely worth a look.

If you're anywhere around Denver you're more than welcome to come look at how I use mine.

Thanks guys.

Ill have to keep my eyes open.

Im in New Brunswick Canada by the way.

Thanks guys.

Ill have to keep my eyes open.

Im in New Brunswick Canada by the way.
    In Canada maybe you can find a good used Standard Modern lathe. They are very good machines, and were made in Canada

Anyone here use a Mini lathe for small jobs or in the reloading room? If so what do you use it for and what size and model are you using?

Thanks
    I have owned a 7x14 mini-lathe for about ten years. Apart from making shooting accessories (bore guides etc) I find it great for neck turning and case length trimming (with added stops)

* doggie *

Im getting a precision Matthews 14x40 in a couple months

Quote Originally Posted by Spot shooter View Post
    Im getting a precision Matthews 14x40 in a couple months

Are you getting a single phase or a 3 phase with a vfd?