Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kettlefoot Gun Club update

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Singleton View Post
    A local range to me in Asheville just a few short years ago had never seen a BR rifle. Now there are 20 to 30 of them shooting UBR each month and having a blast.
    Are those 20 to 30 shooters at one match (as opposed to a cumulative number over several matches)? At the monthly club matches at River Bend, we donít have anywhere near that many. What do you suppose is the reason for such a large disparity in numbers?

BTW, are the matches typically one aggregate, or two?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Are those 20 to 30 shooters at one match (as opposed to a cumulative number over several matches)? At the monthly club matches at River Bend, we donít have anywhere near that many. What do you suppose is the reason for such a large disparity in numbers?

BTW, are the matches typically one aggregate, or two?
    They shoot 100yds one month 200 the next alternating
    It's not unusual to see 20 competitors
    at a match
    They do not limit it to members only. I'm sure makes a difference in their numbers as opposed to allowing members only

at a match
    They do not limit it to members only. I'm sure makes a difference in their numbers as opposed to allowing members only
    Hey Tim, If you are referring to River Bends club matches non members are welcome. I have shot the club matches in the past and plan on shooting them in the future, you need to come on down and bring a friend with.

Dan Honert

at a match
    Just for clarity...I think Tim is saying that the Ashville matches alternate yardages match to match. He may be talking about River Bend, as I think they do the same. My point is that the vast majority of UBR matches are 2 yardage grand agg events. FWIW.. Some clubs do it one way and others do it another.

And Tim is also correct in saying that there is no membership requirement to shoot a registered UBR match. Just show up and shoot...there's a class for everyone.
    Last edited by mwezell; 01-17-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mwezell View Post
    Just for clarity...I think Tim is saying that the Ashville matches alternate yardages match to match. He may be talking about River Bend, as I think they do the same.
    Nope, River Bend's matches are two yardages (100 & 200). I've wondered if the low attendance is due to the extra time it takes to shoot two yardages; however, I'm typically hesitant to drive very far for a single yardage match.

BTW, any ideas as to the low turn-out referenced in my post above?

Nope, River Bend's matches are two yardages (100 & 200). I've wondered if the low attendance is due to the extra time it takes to shoot two yardages; however, I'm typically hesitant to drive very far for a single yardage match.

The only range that I am aware of that shoots one yardage is Brock's Gap. They only have a 100 yard range at this time. But they shoot 2 -100 yard matches. They do have plans to add a 200 yard sometime this year. Most of the folks who compete come to shoot and prefer to shoot a 2 yardage agg. I suspect that the low turnout has to do with several factors. For one you are not close to any other active ranges. I think if UBR was promoted a bit more among your active shooters to their friends things would improve, but that's a guess. The only other place that I am aware of that is having problems drawing interest is BGSL. I have no comment on their lack of turnout. Things happen. The new ranges that were added last season (Red Brush & Alleghany) had good turnouts for all matches.

Rick

I must be thinking about Brock's Gap in Alabama. Nevertheless, my point is that the vast majority are 2 yardage grand agg events. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

That said, I won't drive far for a single yardage match and I know others that feel the same way. I'm sure that works both ways for some people but I think grand aggs pros outweigh the cons. When I go to a match, I don't worry much about what time I get home...I'm there for the duration, regardless. Un;ess the number of relays are limited, the end times of a match are not in our control, per se. I personally prefer a 9am start over an 8am because it might mean getting up at 3am instead of 4, which isn't far from my normal wake up time. JMHO, but I'd rather be an hour later getting home to sleep an hour later to get there.

I don't know why participation isn't better there. I've not shot that range yet and I'd be speaking out of turn either way. Jim did send me their schedule the other day. That helps.

I'll say this much, fwiw. When we had matches at Gallatin and UBR was just starting, we had both IBS and UBR shoots at the same time. Both suffered. Once we decided to go straight UBR it has been very good since.
    Last edited by mwezell; 01-17-2019 at 11:42 AM.

Asheville NC
    They shoot a 100 yd match one month then a 200 the next
    Works well for them.
    So close for me by the time I shoot custom and unlimited its enough shooting for me for one day

Quote Originally Posted by Dan H View Post
    Hey Tim, If you are referring to River Bends club matches non members are welcome. I have shot the club matches in the past and plan on shooting them in the future, you need to come on down and bring a friend with.

Dan Honert
    Dan, see post # 29 at http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?...ge2&highlight=. It was pretty chilly last Sat at the match and Dave asked about you -- wondering why you weren't there.

Says the man...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    ... If we can't discuss things like this openly and honestly, where are we as adults?

Thanks,

Pete
    ...whose first post used the words Mickey Mouse when referring to UBR.

If you don't like something then shoot what discipline floats your boat, but don't piss down other peoples legs who enjoy something different than you. Elitist crap.

Friend

Shot rimfire nats at johnson city tn clide smith came over from bristol shot one is he still around bill brawand

Claude Smith passed away i guess about five (5) years ago Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by BillBrawand View Post
    Shot rimfire nats at johnson city tn clide smith came over from bristol shot one is he still around bill brawand

Bill, I shot in that shoot too. Last rimfire shoot for the NBRSA, I think. Don Geraci Doc Dogen and a bunch of the old but good shooters were there.

My, and our good friend Claude Smith, passed away a few years back. We had just finished a $85,000 upgrade to the Kettlefoot range. Claude and I did the final grade work and planted the grass that August.
    New firing line, 30 new benches, etc.

Then the following Spring, just before the Shamrock, Claude went to the range to help tear off its old roof and install a new one, Claude fell off the top and injured himself.. That was on a Tuesday just before the Shamrock. Jeff Summers and I had him on our relay, we had to set Claude's rest and bag up each relay. Claude never fully recovered and passed away not too long later,

I wish, sometimes, we, and you, could go back.

thanks

mrt claude at fairchance before planning to get to bristle never ben there DOC WAS GREAT GUY AS IS MOST SHOOTERS THANKS A MILLION BILL BRAWAND