Thread: Barrel question

Barrel question

I'm looking into a custom rifle, how can I tell makers marks? They say it has a Shilen barrel?

What marks can I look for?
    Thanks.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
    I'm looking into a custom rifle, how can I tell makers marks? They say it has a Shilen barrel?

What marks can I look for?
    Thanks.
    Tony
    If it was chambered from a Shilen blank, the marks (which were at the end of the barrel) have been cut off. The rest of the barrel will have no marks unless the 'smith put something on it.

GsT

It all depends on the gunsmith, some gunsmiths will engrave the barrel maker and neck size on the barrel just in front of the action, if not there Sometimes the engraving is in the bottom of the barrel, if your action is glued you will have to break the barrel loos to look under it, but if itís bolt on just remove the action and see if you can see any markings under the barrel. Sometimes if you Re-chamber a barrel, the markings will be on the bottom.

If you think about it a bit, it doesn't really matter who made the barrel. It's either gonna "shoot"...or not...regardless of the barrel manufacturer.

If itís a Shilen 6mm, it will have 6 lands. Bartliens an Kriegers have 4. All, feel free to correct me if Shilen has done something different.

Mark

Shilen has done 8 grooves

I have had some

good 5-groove Bartlein's also.

Quote Originally Posted by brcman View Post
    Shilen has done 8 grooves
    Way long time ago, I had a 25 caliber 8 groove Shilen that was a real keeper. It was chambered in 25BR. I had no idea how old the barrel blank was, I got it from Glenn Newick in the mid Ď90ís, he had it for several years before that.

We are really blessed

to have so many great barrel makers. Wilbur is right, it doesn't matter who made it as long as it shoots.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by markharp View Post
    If itís a Shilen 6mm, it will have 6 lands. Bartliens an Kriegers have 4. All, feel free to correct me if Shilen has done something different.

Mark
    It just so happens that I have a 4 groove Shilen. Haven't shot it enough to have an opinion one way or the other!