Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Luby,s Cafeterias.....you just lost my business.

So Al was Hunter's answer a simple Yes or a No? Seems he has been running away instead of running along but I could be wrong.

Louis.J, Hunter did not answer the question because it was not based on what he had said -- it was based on what you had said (as noted in the "Originally posted by Hunter" text shown in posts 84, 85 & 87).
    Last edited by Hunter; 01-19-2019 at 02:51 PM.

A while back we did some work on a river tug for a company based in Chicago.

They sent two representatives down to check on everything. When they came to my office, I happen to have a 45 auto laying on my desk.

They were flabbergasted. They could not believe I had a pistol, much less one laying on my desk. In Chicago, they could go to jail for that.

I showed them my Rifles, and my oldest brother introduced himself with Glock on his side.

These two men said they couldn't even own a firearm in Chicago. I told them we are in Texas. I offered to take them up to Tomball and let them shoot, they had to fly out that night.

But next time, they said that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coots View Post
    Iowa laws are similar to Texas' as far as carrying. The last I knew if you were carrying and went in a place of business that was posted as no carry you are ok unless they asked you to leave. If you don't leave, you are breaking the law. We also have open carry, which I'm not big on.

There's people carrying in our church and if they ban guns, I'll find a different church.

Later
    Dave
    In Wisconsin, ( thanks to our R.AG, ) we have had concealed carry and open carry for years. While I am not an advocate of open carry, the cops here will give you a hard time and and find SOME thing to harass you with, as in the case with one of our locals here exercising his rights by the TOP COP in WI., carrying a "black semi auto" slinged to his shoulder. They charged him with disturbing the peace. What else ? local cops hate the R -AG for that reason, and if you take a really close look at the cops today, very few have ever served their country, say nothing of going to war for it. And that my friends... is what I have a problem with. Sorry, but my feelings are what they are., and you cannot tell any of your senses...they are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by dmort View Post
    Interesting thread and a good read.

As for myself I don't own any pistols, and the ones I did have weren't for self defense... more for the collector.

Getting a carry/concealed permit is easy here in Idaho if you have a clean record. I don't have an interest in this because I don't really feel threatened and not wanting to deal with the responsibility of taking someone's life. If I lived in an area with a high crime rate, I might feel a little different.

I do strongly believe that whatever decision you make in life is yours, and you will have to deal with the outcome, good, bad, or otherwise.

Mort
    Well said Mort,
    I hope I never have to pull a trigger on anyone . Outside of a war zone it will change your life as you may not have imagined , period.
    Others have said those words before me, and they were intelligent individuals that do not speak loosely.

Many years ago a nutbag (clinically insane) managed to purchase weapons to commit a serious crime in Tasmania https://www.britannica.com/event/Port-Arthur-Massacre.

The knee-jerk reaction from the Australian PM (John Howard) was to ban all semi-automatic weapons in Australia, including my son's lovely Ruger 10/22.

What made me mad was that some wimpy/greeny/publicity seeking ratbags jumped onto the bandwagon and demonised anybody in Australia who owned a firearm. One such company was Sanity Music https://www.sanity.com.au/ so naturally they lost my business along with my family and friends at the local range.

The best way to deal with such ideological nutbags IMHO is to vote with your feet and fill their inbox as to why they have lost your business!

* Doggie *

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Maisto View Post
    In Wisconsin, ( thanks to our R.AG, ) we have had concealed carry and open carry for years. While I am not an advocate of open carry, the cops here will give you a hard time and and find SOME thing to harass you with, as in the case with one of our locals here exercising his rights by the TOP COP in WI., carrying a "black semi auto" slinged to his shoulder. They charged him with disturbing the peace. What else ? local cops hate the R -AG for that reason, and if you take a really close look at the cops today, very few have ever served their country, say nothing of going to war for it. And that my friends... is what I have a problem with. Sorry, but my feelings are what they are., and you cannot tell any of your senses...they are wrong.
    Mr. Maisto,

As you appear to have given this some consideration, could you please elaborate on why you see it as a problem that "very few" cops have served their country, or gone to war for it. And please describe your process of taking a "really close look at cops today".

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by doghunter View Post
    Many years ago a nutbag (clinically insane) managed to purchase weapons to commit a serious crime in Tasmania https://www.britannica.com/event/Port-Arthur-Massacre.

The knee-jerk reaction from the Australian PM (John Howard) was to ban all semi-automatic weapons in Australia, including my son's lovely Ruger 10/22.

What made me mad was that some wimpy/greeny/publicity seeking ratbags jumped onto the bandwagon and demonised anybody in Australia who owned a firearm. One such company was Sanity Music https://www.sanity.com.au/ so naturally they lost my business along with my family and friends at the local range.

The best way to deal with such ideological nutbags IMHO is to vote with your feet and fill their inbox as to why they have lost your business!

* Doggie *
    Oh wow, one of those Deadly 10/22 Rugers.......

Dave

Cops

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Maisto View Post
    if you take a really close look at the cops today, very few have ever served their country, say nothing of going to war for it. And that my friends... is what I have a problem with. Sorry, but my feelings are what they are., and you cannot tell any of your senses...they are wrong.

Is it not true that, service to community is service to Country? For some, who wear a badge, the Country is their jurisdiction.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Chism G View Post
    Is it not true that, service to community is service to Country? For some, who wear a badge, the Country is their jurisdiction.

Glenn
    I agree Glenn.

Quote Originally Posted by Chism G View Post
    Is it not true that, service to community is service to Country?
    I'm not taking exception to this, but I'd probably also argue that one can serve his or her country and/or community without a badge or a gun.

Chism G and Butch,

Thank you.

Hunter,

I agree. You don't have to have served in our armed services or have been a cop to have been of service to our country. To view otherwise is completely myopic.

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra13 View Post
    Chism G and Butch,

Thank you.

Hunter,

I agree. You don't have to have served in our armed services or have been a cop to have been of service to our country. To view otherwise is completely myopic.

Justin
    I'm pretty much with Maisto on this. We send our guys to defend our nation when they are 18. How many cops do you see at 18?

Quote Originally Posted by FBecigneul View Post
    I have a dog in this fight so Iíll say that not all service personnel are 18 and not all police and fire personnel are 40. They may all start at 18 or so but they end up 40ish if they survive. So letís not split hairs along those lines.
    You are so right Francis!
    My Father, one Son, Cousin, Brother in Law were all retired career Military. I am very Pro Military, but will not denigrate our peace officers.

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySharrett View Post
    I'm pretty much with Maisto on this. We send our guys to defend our nation when they are 18. How many cops do you see at 18?

Jerry,

You don't see 18 year old cops because every agency that I'm familiar with has a minimum age requirement of 21. I was 21 and a month when I started the police academy. My wife was 22 when she started. Some agencies will send you to an Academy at 20 1/2 as you will be 21 upon graduation.

When I was 18, I couldn't find my ass with both hands and a flashlight. No way should I have been a cop at that age.

And Francis is correct. Not all of our troops are 18 and headed off to combat. About 80% of our military are in non-combat positions. The last time we sent teenagers en mass off to combat was Vietnam, and we screwed up a lot of young men's minds doing so. The ones we send today, in an all-voluntary military, likely want to be there. And what a special breed they are.

18 is awfully young to be dropped-off, against your will, in some far-off land to get shot at on behalf of your country. And IMHO, having been a copper for almost 30 years, 18 is too young to be a cop. Trust me...you don't want a bunch of 18 year old cops running around.

Justin