Thread: Looking for advice/gunsmith

Looking for advice/gunsmith

After a couple years putzing around with my Savage MkII BV and CZ 455 Varmint, I am in the process of starting my first custom rifle adventure.

I use my CZ for my local gun range's monthly competition though it is just for fun and as far as I know isn't a truly sanctioned event which is fine by me. Don't get me wrong, the CZ is awesome for the money but I have more money than sense.

Basically I was wondering if anyone could recommend some gunsmiths. I reached out to two well-respected smiths a couple weeks ago and have yet to hear back. The contact info I could find might be old (the information I could find was 5+ years old). I live in central FL but have no problem shipping wherever and I'm not in a huge hurry.

The parts are a Holeshot Arms Trident, Bix N Andy trigger and in the process of getting the barrel. The stock is being worked on by someone else so that will be taken care of.

Sorry if this come off as too newbie of a post, I'm just having trouble getting in contact with some high-quality smiths and am looking for help with recommendations. Thanks!
    Last edited by MantisToboggan; 01-07-2019 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Additional info

Hard to go wrong with Richard Gorham, Mark Penrod, Gordon Eck.
    You may even wish to have Jerry Stiller consider it.

I have been very fortunate to have Eck do most of mine.

Would you be able to PM me their contact info if you have any? Richard was one of the ones I reached out to but haven't heard anything back so I'm not sure if the info I had was old or not. Thanks for the recommendations!

Well it has been holiday season, give it a bit. Penrod you can Google phone #, Gordon 845-985-0001.

Gorham does his work via Killough's. Just call them to discuss and they will help take care of everything.

Rimfire Smith

John Langley is another good rimfire smith. Plus he does sporter repeaters based on the CZ platform. He is in Ironton, OH. PM for ph#

What Do Ghost Shrimp Eat

hunterhunts.com

How about Gene Davis? Richard Gorham is very good, not that easy to get in touch.

In no certain order...
    John Langley
    Mark Pernod
    Gene Davis
    Richard Gorham (through Killough)
    Jerry Stiller
    Don Blue

+ 1 for Gordon Eck, and it is good that you are having your stock done elsewhere as Gordon told me that he is no longer doing stock work. He is pretty particular on what components he will build with.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by rkittine View Post
    + 1 for Gordon Eck, and it is good that you are having your stock done elsewhere as Gordon told me that he is no longer doing stock work. He is pretty particular on what components he will build with.

Bob
    Gordon has not done stocks for years.
    Sporters, Jim Peightal
    Heavy guns, Tom Merideth
    Last edited by tim; 01-24-2019 at 09:17 PM.

tim
    Jim Peightal did his wood stocks. Tom Merideth did his
    composite stocks. Both did the best work possible also a pleasure to work with.
    Gordon