Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Borden B or BR for HV Rifle?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    72

    Borden B or BR for HV Rifle?

    I'm considering building a HV group gun to complement my primary LV group gun. I've zeroed in on a Borden because I like how my Left Bolt BRM cycles in my 17# 6BRA. While I understand the Borden BR has a shorter bolt throw, I'm leaning towards the B model because of the likelihood of more consistent ignition with the longer/heavier firing pin. Weight difference between the 2 actions is less than 2 oz.

    I'd be interested in hearing feedback from the community in regards to these 2 Borden actions. Thanks!
    Last edited by Kyle Schultz; 12-30-2018 at 11:47 AM. Reason: fix formatting

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brunswick NY
    Posts
    24

    HV Group Gun

    Of the 2 actions you have narrowed it down to, I would pick the B for the reasons you already listed. Be aware that the B has 2 action screws, One mid and One towards the chamber with no screw in the tang area. Might make a difference to you with regards to glue in or screwed and glued.

    But, for the sake of familiarity, the BRM can also be used to make 13.5# class. Using the BRM will more than likely limit your scope choices though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by Anschuter2013 View Post
    Of the 2 actions you have narrowed it down to, I would pick the B for the reasons you already listed. Be aware that the B has 2 action screws, One mid and One towards the chamber with no screw in the tang area. Might make a difference to you with regards to glue in or screwed and glued.But, for the sake of familiarity, the BRM can also be used to make 13.5# class. Using the BRM will more than likely limit your scope choices though.
    Thanks for the feedback. We're planning to glue this action. So would I be correct in thinking the Model B action screws would simply be eliminated?

    I actually spoke to Jim Borden on Friday and he also mentioned the BRM as a HV candidate. But, as I want to preserve the option of using this action in a LV gun in the future, we agreed that intent eliminated the BRM as an option.
    Last edited by Kyle Schultz; 12-29-2018 at 10:53 PM. Reason: fix formatting

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    1,493

    your

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schultz View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. We're planning to glue this action. So would I be correct in thinking the Model B action screws would simply be eliminated?

    I actually spoke to Jim Borden on Friday and he also mentioned the BRM as a HV candidate. But, as I want to preserve the option of using this action in a LV gun in the future, we agreed that intent eliminated the BRM as an option.
    stocker could glue in then provide for the action screws to just barely tighten as a safety should the glue in ever fail. I have seen that done but you can't torque the screws and flex the action.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by Anschuter2013 View Post
    Of the 2 actions you have narrowed it down to, I would pick the B for the reasons you already listed. Be aware that the B has 2 action screws, One mid and One towards the chamber with no screw in the tang area. Might make a difference to you with regards to glue in or screwed and glued.

    But, for the sake of familiarity, the BRM can also be used to make 13.5# class. Using the BRM will more than likely limit your scope choices though.
    I own four Borden B actions - all, including the newest one, are "traditional" two screw actions: receiver-ring, and tang screw-holes. What am I missing? If you're going to glue, I recommend that you pillar, screw, & glue. RG
    Last edited by R.G. Robinett; 12-30-2018 at 09:05 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Brunswick NY
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    I own four Borden B actions - all, including the newest one, are have "traditional" two screw actions: receiver-ring, and tang screw-holes. What am I missing? If you're going to glue, I recommend that you pillar, screw, & glue. RG
    On March 21st 2018 I asked the following:

    Good morning to the Borden crew,

    Can you provide me with a picture of the bottom of a Model B action? I'd like to see how many action screws there are and where they are located.



    This is the response I received:

    James Borden <bordenrifles@gmail.com>

    Mar 21, 2018, 11:37 AM

    There are 2 screws. One in front under receiver ring and one about midway up action<END>




    I could be wrong, but I thought the reason for the absence of a tang screw hole is lack of "real estate" resulting from the "Bobbed" action tang to save weight. BUT, it sure is interesting that your model B has a tang screw hole and I stand corrected. I would not want to spread false information, so thank you for clearing that up Randy!
    Last edited by Anschuter2013; 12-30-2018 at 03:47 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    I own four Borden B actions - all, including the newest one, are have "traditional" two screw actions: receiver-ring, and tang screw-holes. What am I missing? If you're going to glue, I recommend that you pillar, screw, & glue. RG
    Same with my two.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    509
    Quote Originally Posted by Anschuter2013 View Post
    On March 21st 2018 I asked the following:

    Good morning to the Borden crew,

    Can you provide me with a picture of the bottom of a Model B action? I'd like to see how many action screws there are and where they are located.



    This is the response I received:

    James Borden <bordenrifles@gmail.com>

    Mar 21, 2018, 11:37 AM



    There are 2 screws. One in front under receiver ring and one about midway up action<END>




    I could be wrong, but I thought the reason for the absence of a tang screw hole is lack of "real estate" resulting from the "Bobbed" action tang to save weight. BUT, it sure is interesting that your model B has a tang screw hole and I stand corrected. I would not want to spread false information, so thank you for clearing that up Randy!
    I could be wrong too - model numbers are something I'm not good at! The serial numbers all begin, "B0xxx", therefore presume they are "B" actions. Perhaps this has changes in the last couple of months. I can say this - they have all proven excellent.RG

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Manhattan & Sag Harbor, N.Y.
    Posts
    417
    Jim made me a BRM action with an enlarge ejection port. Took some weight out while also allowing an unfired 6.5x47 Lapua to be removed unfired, without removing the bolt.

    Bob

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    509

    Red face Oooops - I stand corrected! Need to halt my misinformation!

    I was incorrect regarding my Borden Rimrock actions: they are BR, not B. I was incorrectly supposing that the serial #s, beginning with B, identified the model. The model (BR) is clearly and largely "engraved" on the right side of the receiver-ring, following Rimrock, as in, Rimrock BR. My apology for confusing the topic. RG

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •