Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 30br reamer?

Guys, the only reason for the existence of my reamer is the way I make my brass. I blow it out the cases rather than necking them up.

It is nothing more than a .330 neck, zero freebore reamer with a trim to length of 1.545.

Cool yeah, but . . .

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Guys, the only reason for the existence of my reamer is the way I make my brass. I blow it out the cases rather than necking them up.

It is nothing more than a .330 neck, zero freebore reamer with a trim to length of 1.545.
    Jackie, your method is solid and produces results - just a little difficult for those not equipped with a lathe to open up the neck on a 6mm BR barrel! The important attribute is the chamber-neck full of brass, thus no .330" diameter, "free-bore"! RG

i fire form empty cases to use jackie's reamer.
    i think jackie does too.
    my trimmer for my 6mm dasher and 30 br is set at 1.545 for a 1.550 chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    Jackie, your method is solid and produces results - just a little difficult for those not equipped with a lathe to open up the neck on a 6mm BR barrel! The important attribute is the chamber-neck full of brass, thus no .330" diameter, "free-bore"! RG

Quote Originally Posted by R Stiner View Post
    Trxr

Here are some Reamer Prints: the Original 30BR Robinett and two Variants that work For me!
    Based upon the way I neck expand and form my brass & shoot with 7-ogive bullets.

My cases are 1.521 to 1.522 long after case neck expander is used and fire formed.
    I trim to 1.515 length and neck turn to .3275-.3280 loaded round.

These prints may not work for you or others!

I'm sure there are several different 30BR configurations I think they all work very well as long as your bullet reaches the Lands or "jamb".

The 30BR is an awesome cartridge for score shooting!

P.S I'm not sure what Leade is! I call it Lead like the print show's

If Jackie could post a picture of the reamer print he uses that would cover the fireform method he has had success with.

Good Luck and enjoy the sport!
    Russ

Attachment 21848Attachment 21849Attachment 21850

Thanks Russ

What procedure do you use to neck up the brass? I am looking at PMA tools neck expander and doing it in one step. Not sure what oal thats going to create though.

Thanks

TrxR

I made my own neck expander. It has a long taper just like the PMA carbide one. I would suggest you buy PMA's carbide neck turning mandrel to match their Expander. it will make the brass a better fit to the turning mandrel.

I made the mistake of buying one brand expander and another brand turning mandrel. That's why I had to make a expander that matched the mandrel

Russ

Russ : when you say 7 ogive bullets how do you tell what they are? Does the manufactorer list this? Is there any decent berger or sierra or speers that will work ? Im not sure if i can get anything like barts in canada but i will check.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    Russ : when you say 7 ogive bullets how do you tell what they are? Does the manufactorer list this? Is there any decent berger or sierra or speers that will work ? Im not sure if i can get anything like barts in canada but i will check.

Thanks
    TrxR,
    FWIW, I have used the Berger 115 FB Targets with great success.
    If you want to go with custom get ahold of Randy (Bib Bullets) and see what he recommends.
    Most of the top shooters use his bullets.
    I don't know whether he can ship to Canada or not.
    Regards,
    Greg

"most" is a pretty big comment.
    i agree great bullets as are barts..i shoot barts.
    i have shot 115 bergers very well.

Quote Originally Posted by wfcustom View Post
    TrxR,
    FWIW, I have used the Berger 115 FB Targets with great success.
    If you want to go with custom get ahold of Randy (Bib Bullets) and see what he recommends.
    Most of the top shooters use his bullets.
    I don't know whether he can ship to Canada or not.
    Regards,
    Greg

When i read a 7 or 8 ogive bullet what is the exact measurement of the two? Also im assuming using the same barrel a 8 ogive would be seated deeper into the case than a 7 ogive?

And i would like to apologize for all the questions but i am new to this and want to learn as much as possible.

Im also reading as much as possible about making bullets as there dont seem to be alot of options here in Canada.

Thanks

TrxR

I'm no expert on ogive measurements. I skipped math class for lunch!

all I can say is the sleeker the bullet is on the front end it has a higher ogive #.

Example: 118gr 10 tangent ogive bullet is sleeker front end than a 118gr 7 tangent ogive.

Therefore the 7 tangent ogive will seat further into the case neck when touching the lands.

Good .308 bullets that work the best with a 30BR are short 110gr-118gr.

As far as commercial bullets Sierra .308 110gr HP has showed the best results in my rifles.

Russ

When i read a 7 or 8 ogive bullet what is the exact measurement of the two? Also im assuming using the same barrel a 8 ogive would be seated deeper into the case than a 7 ogive?

And i would like to apologize for all the questions but i am new to this and want to learn as much as possible.

Im also reading as much as possible about making bullets as there dont seem to be alot of options here in Canada.

Thanks
    OK, the term 'ogive' is a DESCRIPTOR, not a "measurement" per se.

A "8 ogive" is a section or segment of a circle, that is 8 diameters radius.

I'll try make an easy example;

(Except I'm gonna' use INCHES not metrics cuz, 'MUR'CA!)

-a 50 cal bullet is 1/2 inch in diameter
    -8 times 1/2 inch is 4 inches
    -so if you make a circle with 4 inches radius (ie, 4" from centerpoint) the circle is 8 inches across
    -now you take a hunk of that circle and use it to make one side of the bullets point, lining up and blending in neatly and

VOILA'!!!

-you've made one side of an "8 ogive" bullet nose, and because you blended it it's a "tangent ogive"

Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    You'll probably be very pleased with these dimensions. If you intend to mechanically neck-up your brass, I would not order an OAL exceeding 1.525"(see Russ' JGS print). The .332" neck should accommodate complete clean-up the necks with neck turning.

Thanks for helping out, Russ! RG
    When looking at the JGS print I got a question about two measurements.

I see the 1.5250 then a small taper then 1.5358. Whats the second measurement represent?

And from what I am reading here any of those three prints would work fine for what I am looking to do?

Would there be any reason to not get say a duplicate to that JGS reamer?

Thanks

When looking at the JGS print I got a question about two measurements.

I see the 1.5250 then a small taper then 1.5358. Whats the second measurement represent?

And from what I am reading here any of those three prints would work fine for what I am looking to do?

Would there be any reason to not get say a duplicate to that JGS reamer?

Thanks
    The 1.5358 is the distance from the bolt-face, to the bore, including the 45 Deg. bevel at the case/chamber mouth: the transition from neck diameter, to bore diameter, as opposed to a perpendicular wall. From the bolt-face, 1.525" would be the absolute maximum case length, beyond which, the bevel would begin to crimp the case mouths. The JGS print which Russ posted is difficult to criticize. RG

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    i fire form empty cases to use jackie's reamer.
    i think jackie does too.
    my trimmer for my 6mm dasher and 30 br is set at 1.545 for a 1.550 chamber.
    I have a fireform barrel, It is an old 223 barrel. I chambered it for my 30BR and fireform with powder and plug it with a candle wax plug. Get a much better fireform and longer brass. Only have to expand it a few thousandths to neck turn.

Quote Originally Posted by alinwa View Post
    OK, the term 'ogive' is a DESCRIPTOR, not a "measurement" per se.

A "8 ogive" is a section or segment of a circle, that is 8 diameters radius.

I'll try make an easy example;

(Except I'm gonna' use INCHES not metrics cuz, 'MUR'CA!)

-a 50 cal bullet is 1/2 inch in diameter
    -8 times 1/2 inch is 4 inches
    -so if you make a circle with 4 inches radius (ie, 4" from centerpoint) the circle is 8 inches across
    -now you take a hunk of that circle and use it to make one side of the bullets point, lining up and blending in neatly and

VOILA'!!!

-you've made one side of an "8 ogive" bullet nose, and because you blended it it's a "tangent ogive"
    Very good explanation of a oft misunderstood term for folks Al.