Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30br build?

30br build?

Putting a list together for a 30br 100yd score rifle.

Im a debating between a bat (not sure which model) or a Panda. Any opinions?

Also looking at a Mcmillan EDGE benchrest stock but am not sure if it would be a good option or not?

Thanks

I had my 30BR Score Rifle built on a BAT B action with a Krieger Barrel, Jewel Trigger and a Tracker Stock.

Bob

Since you are building a 13.5 pound Rifle, that opens up your choice in a stock.

Get a stock that already has the added material of a HV. Sticking a weight system in a 24 ounce stock to get the weight up does not make it suitable for a 30BR HV.

In my opinion, the best out of the box action is still a Panda. They got it right years ago, and unless something has changed, they still have it right. How often do we hear about about all of the tricks that notable gunsmiths have to do to other brands to make them competitive?

The rest is pretty standard stuff.

Mine is a Bat, but if I started over I would buy a Panda.

Whats is everyones opinion on a Borden BRM?

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    Jim makes great product. I have not used one though.

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    I saw one for sale by a shooter in Houston. I should have bought it.

All of Bordens products are top notch in every aspect.

The only new action I have bought in two years was a Bat Nuevo.i bought it specifically because of the different lug configuration when the bolt is closed. The lugs are horizontal instead of Verticle in battery.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    Since you are building a 13.5 pound Rifle, that opens up your choice in a stock.

Get a stock that already has the added material of a HV. Sticking a weight system in a 24 ounce stock to get the weight up does not make it suitable for a 30BR HV.

In my opinion, the best out of the box action is still a Panda. They got it right years ago, and unless something has changed, they still have it right. How often do we hear about about all of the tricks that notable gunsmiths have to do to other brands to make them competitive?

Jackie nailed this! It's not easy to make a 13.5# rifle.

Action choice can be pretty subjective/personal: Kelbly's, Borden, & BAT are all good - on BR rigs, I have two BAT, four Borden RimRock, and one Time-Precision (Borden trued). RG

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post

So are you saying rebarreling a 10.5lb LV 6PPC Panda to a 30BR without adding any weight to shoot in the heavy class is not worth the trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by michaeljp65 View Post
    So are you saying rebarreling a 10.5lb LV 6PPC Panda to a 30BR without adding any weight to shoot in the heavy class is not worth the trouble?
    I bought a 30 BR on a Teddy action at a gun show. I didn't ask or realize it was a 10.5 gun. I shot it a few times and then had a 30 BR chambered for my 6 ppc HV gun. Shooting the 30 BR in that light gun was somewhat punishing.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsgt View Post
    I bought a 30 BR on a Teddy action at a gun show. I didn't ask or realize it was a 10.5 gun. I shot it a few times and then had a 30 BR chambered for my 6 ppc HV gun. Shooting the 30 BR in that light gun was somewhat punishing.
    ok cheers for that Adam. I might have to have a bit of a re think.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeljp65 View Post

Not saying that. Saying that if you want a Heavy VT (13.5#) Rifle, get a heavier stock. If you want to stay LV, that'll work just fine: it will have a little more recoil energy. RG

What stock would you all suggest looking at?

Also what length barrel and profile?

We dont have a weight limit here . Our only rule are cant be 1 piece rest, front rest must use sand bag, rear must be a sand bag, forearm width can be no more than 3 inches.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by R.G. Robinett View Post
    Not saying that. Saying that if you want a Heavy VT (13.5#) Rifle, get a heavier stock. If you want to stay LV, that'll work just fine: it will have a little more recoil energy. RG
    OK cheers R.G.R

I shoot a Borden BRM and a Borden BR in the hunter configuration in score matches.

I have won my fair share of matches and have set three records, 2 with the VFS and one with the hunter (really a vh as it is a 30br also). The last record is 250-25x with 22 wipe outs. The actions will perform fine as will many others. How it is built and put together is just as important as the components, maybe more so. The best action poorly bedded at an improper angle isn't going to perform as well as a "lesser" action perfectly bedded. Invest in a proven BR gunsmith.