Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30br build?

Quote Originally Posted by TrxR View Post
    Putting a list together for a 30br 100yd score rifle.

Im a debating between a bat (not sure which model) or a Panda. Any opinions?

Also looking at a Mcmillan EDGE benchrest stock but am not sure if it would be a good option or not?

Thanks
    Terry leonard at tstocks1@charter,net has made several winning HV stocks that are balanced and inletted to fit your action.

What stock would you all suggest looking at?

Also what length barrel and profile?

We dont have a weight limit here . Our only rule are cant be 1 piece rest, front rest must use sand bag, rear must be a sand bag, forearm width can be no more than 3 inches.

Thanks
    Regardless of your existing no weight limit...someday you might want to sell the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilbur View Post
    Regardless of your existing no weight limit...someday you might want to sell the rifle.
    I agree, Wilbur. A legal 13.5 Heavy Varmint is plenty of weight to tame a 30 BR down.

In these small Benchrest Chamberings, stacking more weight on is really a exercise in diminishing returns. You reach a point where it is just right.

Whats the current consensus on barrel length and profile and twist rate?

Is the mcmilla edge benchrest stock a decent option for HV? I have to find a stock that is available to be shipped to Canada. There is also a guy in Canada reproducing some of the Robertson stocks.

Thanks
    Last edited by TrxR; 12-12-2018 at 03:39 PM.

Can you tell us more of the person in Canada reproducing the Robertson stocks?

Quote Originally Posted by brcman View Post
    Can you tell us more of the person in Canada reproducing the Robertson stocks?
    I am still trying to get more info myself. Ill post any info i find.

Whats the current consensus on barrel length and profile and twist rate?
    I shoot a 1-18 twist, # 17 Krieger HV. I start out at 22 1/2 inches, keep setting them back untill it's illegal.

The best barrel I have is on it's 3d setback and is down to 19 3/4'inches. It's about 10'years old. I have no idea how many rounds have been down it.

did you settle on a bullet ?
    barts x out ?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie schmidt View Post
    I shoot a 1-18 twist, # 17 Krieger HV. I start out at 22 1/2 inches, keep setting them back untill it's illegal.

The best barrel I have is on it's 3d setback and is down to 19 3/4'inches. It's about 10'years old. I have no idea how many rounds have been down it.

New Vineyard, Maine via Milford, Massachusetts
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Jarvais View Post
    I have won my fair share of matches and have set three records, 2 with the VFS and one with the hunter (really a vh as it is a 30br also). The last record is 250-25x with 22 wipe outs. The actions will perform fine as will many others. How it is built and put together is just as important as the components, maybe more so. The best action poorly bedded at an improper angle isn't going to perform as well as a "lesser" action perfectly bedded. Invest in a proven BR gunsmith.
    Sounds like Capt Briggs in Sudden Impact. Y.A.L.I Y O.M.J.
    Last edited by Jim Pag; 12-15-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by retired View Post
    did you settle on a bullet ?
    barts x out ?
    I shoot both Barts and BIB's.