Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F y i

F y i

I have needed a bit less length in the spindle of my lathe to chamber shorter barrels and because there is so much stick out with my 4 jaw chuck, decided to come up with a front spider. I made a run at one before I left for Florida but becaues I operate without prior reasearch, didn't like the result I came up with so shelved it until spring.

Yesterday I Googled Lathe Spiders and up pops a page with something offered by Grizzly so I looks at the add. Here is a real life picture of an aluminum spider, complete with brass tipped screws and pre-drilled for attaching screws. They go on to say the offing is designed to bolt to one's face plate. $30.00 plus shipping. Several key strokes later and one is on the hated UPS truck. Saves buying a dividing hear, after all .

Pete

Instead of bolting it to the faceplate every time you need it, find a chuck backplate and make a permanent solution.

They used to offer one as such with either one of the D's or a screw on spindle type.
    Last edited by Louis.J; 12-06-2018 at 07:57 PM.

What I had in mind

Quote Originally Posted by MilGunsmith View Post
    Instead of bolting it to the faceplate every time you need it, find a chuck backplate and make a permanent solution.
    I think I may have a dog plate big enough to bolt it to, I can't see my ever using a dog plate but if I don't I'll buy a backing plate of appropriate size.

Pete

I've got two of those and they're still sitting in a drawer. The four holes they drilled in them conflict with the holes in the backplate adapter I have. The adapter is a 5" D1-4 and the pre-drilled holes on the Grizzly spider are poorly spaced, at least for my backplate. Good luck on yours, hope it works for you.

Pete, the lathe at work I'm most comfortable with spindle is about a ft too long. I tried between centers but it didn't go well due to vibration. So I made a bushing. Turned the uncut barrel O.D. true with each end of the bore & slid it into the spindle. Worked well for me.
    I've since bought a Heavy 10 & have yet to make a spider for it. I wonder if I could adapt what you found for it. Can't build one for $30. Got 2 barrels coming so need to figure out something. Thanks for the heads up!
    Keith

I made mine to thread right on the spindle. I used the face plate as a pattern, made a male thread to match the thread on the faceplate's spindle thread and then threaded the spider. That way I didn't have to remove the spider to check for fit AND, I only have one lathe.
    Last edited by Jim Kobe; 12-07-2018 at 11:20 AM.

Its a shame

Quote Originally Posted by linekin View Post
    Pete, the lathe at work I'm most comfortable with spindle is about a ft too long. I tried between centers but it didn't go well due to vibration. So I made a bushing. Turned the uncut barrel O.D. true with each end of the bore & slid it into the spindle. Worked well for me.
    I've since bought a Heavy 10 & have yet to make a spider for it. I wonder if I could adapt what you found for it. Can't build one for $30. Got 2 barrels coming so need to figure out something. Thanks for the heads up!
    Keith
    I ain't home, I have a spider I made for my 10-L sitting in my shop you would be welcome to. It slips over the outboard end of the spindle and is held by 3 grub screws. Somehow I was able to get it fitted to a nice slip fit so it doesn't wobble any. If you can hold off until April, it's yurn.

Pete

I was a little concerned with that

Quote Originally Posted by adamsgt View Post
    I've got two of those and they're still sitting in a drawer. The four holes they drilled in them conflict with the holes in the backplate adapter I have. The adapter is a 5" D1-4 and the pre-drilled holes on the Grizzly spider are poorly spaced, at least for my backplate. Good luck on yours, hope it works for you.
    I have a D1-4 machine as well. Perhaps the mother of invention will present herself?

Pete

Them dern holes

Before I left, I looked through the tooling I have and thought perhaps I could use my ER-40 collet chuck as a backer for a Spider. I had a nice piece of 7075 - 5" by 2 1/2" thick and arbitrarily decided to drill 3 holes through the face of it after I carefully bored it to fit over the threads on the collet holder. Fine, that would work lovely EXCEPT, one of the radial holes was going to interfere with one of the three holes I had drilled for mounting the chunk to the face of the collet holder, I couldn't seem to make it work out, just looking. Perhaps if one of the spider adjusting screws was smaller than the others?, so I sat it on a shelf. Looking like another dry hole coming up!

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 12-07-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Those Bald Eagle spiders work well. I had to drill new mounting holes. For nuts I just used those 3/8 unistrut nuts to secure the spider to the faceplate. They are long enough to straddle the ribs behind the slots.

The spider is in there sort of permanently since I have the compound set on this 1024 for taper boring dedicated for chambering AR15 barrels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180111_204909.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	21813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180414_202851.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	21812  
    Last edited by NezRongero; 12-07-2018 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks Nez

Looks like something can be worked out .

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by NezRongero View Post
    Those Bald Eagle spiders work well. I had to drill new mounting holes. For nuts I just used those 3/8 unistrut nuts to secure the spider to the faceplate. They are long enough to straddle the ribs behind the slots.

The spider is in there sort of permanently since I have the compound set on this 1024 for taper boring dedicated for chambering AR15 barrels.
    I see you used a faceplate whereas I tried to use a back plate adapter. Mine came from CDCO and we all know the quality of that stuff. Anyway, I may still be able to get it to work with some judicious carving on the adapter. OK, after cranking my neck sideways I can see the original holes you didn't use. Another way to skin the cat. OOPS, PETA just said I can't use that term.
    Last edited by adamsgt; 12-08-2018 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Wass View Post
    I ain't home, I have a spider I made for my 10-L sitting in my shop you would be welcome to. It slips over the outboard end of the spindle and is held by 3 grub screws. Somehow I was able to get it fitted to a nice slip fit so it doesn't wobble any. If you can hold off until April, it's yurn.

Pete
    Thanks Pete, but although I can exhibit patience at times, not for that looooonng!
    Hope you're feeling better!
    Keith

I Understand

Quote Originally Posted by linekin View Post
    Thanks Pete, but although I can exhibit patience at times, not for that looooonng!
    Hope you're feeling better!
    Keith
    Thanks, yes, I am almost back to snuff I believe.

Pete