Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Lathe Ideas

I have a 1340GT and a 1440GT, both great machines and great value IMO, the reason I added the 1440 was the 2" spindle.
    Matt P

Lots of good input here; thanks!

I'm still leaning towards the PM1440GT with Eisen 1440EV being my second choice.
    The Eisen is appealing due to its weight (~2300#) and built in VFD, but the 1.56" x 17.17" spindle bore is hard to fall in love with compared to the PM lathes. I don't think I can go wrong with either PM lathe or the Eisen. I'll stew on it a bit more then pull them trigger (probably tonight).

Thanks,
    BP

Quote Originally Posted by bpctcb View Post
    Lots of good input here; thanks!

I'm still leaning towards the PM1440GT with Eisen 1440EV being my second choice.
    The Eisen is appealing due to its weight (~2300#) and built in VFD, but the 1.56" x 17.17" spindle bore is hard to fall in love with compared to the PM lathes. I don't think I can go wrong with either PM lathe or the Eisen. I'll stew on it a bit more then pull them trigger (probably tonight).

Thanks,
    BP
    As you have found out, there are multitudes of choices in small lathes that are intende for "hobby use".

If you are staying on the $5000 to$6000 range for the basic machine, I doubt there is much difference in any of them. If you want to step up in quality, say to an Acer or equivalent, you are talking $12,000+ range.

The main concern is it has at least a 1.5 spindle hole, and a headstock short enough so that if you choose to chamber through the headstock in the conventional manner, you can with little hassle.

Thanks for everyone's input.
    I ordered a PM1440GT today.

BP

Justin, You can make and use a cathead on either end of your spindle and greatly reduce the length. The Emco Meier is a great lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Lambert View Post
    Justin, You can make and use a cathead on either end of your spindle and greatly reduce the length. The Emco Meier is a great lathe.
    Butch,

I have a cathead for my bigger machine that I made just for that purpose. Works like a charm. But...now that I have my Emco Super 11 with its short spindle length (same length as a Heavy 10), that will be my go to for barrel work. It was one nice little machine.

Justin

Congratulations on your new purchase it will bring you endless hours of personal enjoyment. When I got my Lathe I wasn't even looking for one or even giving any prior thought to owning one. A close friend mentioned he had one of his for sale and for the price including everything that went with it I would have been foolish not to buy it so I did. It's a 12X37 that he bought new in 1985 and still in great shape and when looking back I don't know how I ever lived without having one?

JLouis