Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nbrsa

A few days ago I posted a message about the barriers to entry in benchrest and suggested adding modified rifles and factory rifles, as Ultimate Benchrest has done. Further to that suggestion, I found the following on accurateshooter.com today, about Precision Rifle Series:

"PRS Production Division — Lowering the Cost of Entry

The Production Division is a new PRS classification. Under Production Division rules, the rifle must not exceed $2000.00, and rifle + scope combined must not exceed $4000.00. All other accessories, such as bipod, support bag, and the sling, can be added at the shooter’s own discretion. Even with these cost limits, you can put together a great rig: “There’s a lot of gear out there that’s not that expensive,” says Production Division Match Director Jacob Bynum. For example, you can get the new Howa KRG Bravo in 6.5 Creedmoor for $979.99. With an $800 Nikon FX1000 FFP MRAD optic, and $109 Game Changer Bag, you’re good to go for well under $2000.00 complete."

PRS is a fast-growing shooting sport, and the people who run it apparently have figured out that lowering the cost of entry is a good way to increase participation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rabin View Post
    A few days ago I posted a message about the barriers to entry in benchrest and suggested adding modified rifles and factory rifles, as Ultimate Benchrest has done....PRS is a fast-growing shooting sport, and the people who run it apparently have figured out that lowering the cost of entry is a good way to increase participation.
    Dave, as you know, River Bend: (a) has many, many members; (b) is located within an easy drive of Atlanta; and (c) offers monthly benchrest matches (group and UBR on alternating months) at a very reasonable entry fee (with the possibility of winning some money) and the matches include factory class; however, the participation is pretty slim -- and has been for quite a while. So, there must be a lot more than the cost of entry that's the problem. I don't know what is the problem; I'm just happy that we have nearby, low-cost, well-run matches to enjoy.

You really can't compare the two (PRS and BR rifles) I build rifles for PRS shooters, the accuracy requirement to compete in PRS is not as high as BR. I'm not saying that you don't build a PRS to be accurate but hunting for the last .001 of accuracy is really not the issue in that game. True BR is building the most accurate rifle possible and then having the skills to shoot it to it's potential. It goes back to my earlier post, it costs money to play at the top. If I could do it cheaper I (and everybody else) would do just that. I don't know how you get around that issue.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
    Dave, as you know, River Bend: (a) has many, many members; (b) is located within an easy drive of Atlanta; and (c) offers monthly benchrest matches (group and UBR on alternating months) at a very reasonable entry fee (with the possibility of winning some money) and the matches include factory class; however, the participation is pretty slim -- and has been for quite a while. So, there must be a lot more than the cost of entry that's the problem. I don't know what is the problem; I'm just happy that we have nearby, low-cost, well-run matches to enjoy.
    We have had Factory and Modified Classes at out Tomball Matches, (Score), for going on ten years now.

Participation is not very good, maybe 1/10th of what we have in the Benchrest Class.