Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remington rifle settlement, including free trigger replacement, is official

Got it Dave and what I was also thinking. When I was a wee lad Grandpa's neighbor and also a rancher always carried a loaded rifle in his pickup. He reached in to grab it one day by the muzzle and it went off and killed him. It was looked at as an accidental death or possibly a suicide as he was going through hard times. But it was never looked at to be the fault of the firearm itself. We live in a time where personal responsibility no longer exists sadly and the fault is being placed anywhere but.

I put Timney triggers in all my 700s long ago.

A much better trigger than anything Remington.

I believe if you look

deeply into the settlement agreement, any owners of older Remington 721/722 rifles for example get a gift certificate for Remington merchandise, not a new trigger. Now that is just what I want to do...advertise a company that won't really correct a trigger they designed and that has been shown to be potentially problematic under certain use condition.

I have never been a Remington rifle fan, bolt handle too short, just too darn plain. They were the low price point rifles in their day. Do have a 722 257 Bob that is my wife's and works ok and a 721 '06 that needs a trigger replacement but I just can't bring myself to spend repair $ and a Remington.

I do like their shotguns...1100 and 11-87, Sportsman 58
    Last edited by glp; 10-30-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glp View Post
    deeply into the settlement agreement, any owners of older Remington 721/722 rifles for example get a gift certificate for Remington merchandise, not a new trigger. Now that is just what I want to do...advertise a company that won't really correct a trigger they designed and that has been shown to be potentially problematic under certain use condition.
    It sounds like a very classic case of 'tolerance stacking.'

If the wrong set of tolerance variations occur at the same time the device fails.

On a production basis problems like this are usually fixed by adjusting the tolerance of a few parts most likely to contribute to the problem.

I was paid plenty of money to figure out how to fix tolerance stacking problems in electronics.

A few times I received large bonuses from customers.

Well into 5 figures.

Once the only change I made was that a single resistor (out of about 20 in the circuit) needed to be 2% instead of 5% tolerance.
    Last edited by brickeyee; 10-30-2018 at 05:27 PM.