Thread: Power flush

Power flush

Howdy from New Mexico!!! Being my first post Iíll tell yíall a bit about my self. I started chambering rifles a couple years ago when I couldnít find a local gunsmith without a 9 month lead time. Thinking how hard could it really be I bought a lathe a mill and tens of thousands of dollars later I had my first 6.5x47L. Iíve been a lurker on this page for a couple years now the wealth of information on this page has saved my ass a time or ten so thanks yíall. My question is about power flush systems Maybe yíall could save me some time and a bit of money. Iím going through a bunch of my junk at work I found a hydraulic pump and an electric motor I think would work great for a power flush system. I canít say Iíve seen anyone using them on this page. Why is that? Iím only doing around 10 barrels a year and things might pick up some but thatís doubtful as Iím not really pushing anything. Iím thinking I could build the system with only being out of pocket a couple hundred bucks. Iíve not had any issues chambering without a flush system. So my question is if you could build or buy one for a couple hundred bucks would you? do you think youíd actually use it if you did? Or would it be one of those tools that gets used once and never again?

Quote Originally Posted by killswitch505 View Post
    Howdy from New Mexico!!! Being my first post Iíll tell yíall a bit about my self. I started chambering rifles a couple years ago when I couldnít find a local gunsmith without a 9 month lead time. Thinking how hard could it really be I bought a lathe a mill and tens of thousands of dollars later I had my first 6.5x47L. Iíve been a lurker on this page for a couple years now the wealth of information on this page has saved my ass a time or ten so thanks yíall. My question is about power flush systems Maybe yíall could save me some time and a bit of money. Iím going through a bunch of my junk at work I found a hydraulic pump and an electric motor I think would work great for a power flush system. I canít say Iíve seen anyone using them on this page. Why is that? Iím only doing around 10 barrels a year and things might pick up some but thatís doubtful as Iím not really pushing anything. Iím thinking I could build the system with only being out of pocket a couple hundred bucks. Iíve not had any issues chambering without a flush system. So my question is if you could build or buy one for a couple hundred bucks would you? do you think youíd actually use it if you did? Or would it be one of those tools that gets used once and never again?
    If I chamber five barrels in a year, it's a big year for me. I built a flush system, using a hydraulic gear pump, and it cost me ~$500. (Didn't have much on hand except some random copper pipe.) I love it, have never regretted it, and wouldn't chamber without one again except in desperation.

GsT

Do a search up in the top right hand corner for "Barrel Flush System" and a lot of information will come up about design and use. That may help you get started

I don't use a high pressure

pump. Just use the pump that probably came with the lathe. Greg Tannel makes a good easy to use setup for the muzzle end. Look up Gre-Tan Rifles. I also run the oil through a hyd filter before it gets to the bbl. I am using a light sulfur cutting oil with some moly-dee mixed in. Not sure what the water-base fluid guys are using. I get great results and I do quite a few bbl's so it's a valid idea for you to try.

Richard

Thanks for the replyís I will definitely do a better search of the forum.

GsT, how you doing man I think weíre on a couple forums together!! Would you mind sharing some pictures of your setup? What sis you use for a swivel on the muzzle end?

Richard, Iíve bought a few things off of Greg over the years seems like a super nice guy his is set up where I got the idea from. Iíve hydraulic and gear oil pumps I was thinking about 20 ish psi.

Dennis

I built mine from a carbonation pump and use water based coolant in mine. I had to actually lower the pressure by replacing the spring in the bypass section of the pump. At shutoff head, I think it maxes at about 20 psi, but it moves a ton of coolant.

Here's a video of the system in action. Note my hi-tech splash guard:

Gene, nice set up man tell me a bit about that swivel if you would please

My system uses a Dueblin rotary union like the one Gene Poole shows. I've heard that a regular air-line swivel works just as well and they can be had pretty cheap. Got the union from eBay.

I can't seem to post any pics. I've got a 'Manage Attachments' button, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Anyone know why?

GsT

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Poole View Post
    I built mine from a carbonation pump and use water based coolant in mine. I had to actually lower the pressure by replacing the spring in the bypass section of the pump. At shutoff head, I think it maxes at about 20 psi, but it moves a ton of coolant.

Here's a video of the system in action. Note my hi-tech splash guard:

Gene,

What brand of floating reamer holder is that?

Justin

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra13 View Post
    Gene,

What brand of floating reamer holder is that?

Justin
    It's a PTG:

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/reame...lder-head.html

It's a Deublin rotary union I got used from ebay for about $25. They pop up on ebay fairly regularly.

Through the bore coolant/oil is absolutely, 100% worth it if you are doing one a year or one hundred. A hydraulic pump, depending on what it was from, is probably way overkill. But it itís free, and you can piece together the rest of the components, mainly a relief valve, Iíd give it a go.

I use the 1hp coolant pump that came with my machine. It makes 35psi, but Iím not sure the actual flow rate. Iíd guess itíll fill up a 5 gallon bucket in a minute or two. I use a water based coolant with great results. It flows amazing with grooved carbide bushings, but still flows fine around non-grooved HSS bushings. I even quit notching the retaining screw heads as I didnít find any real world benefit.

This video is with a HSS reamer and unmodified retainer screw head.

https://www.facebook.com/77279175609...2730762762944/
    Last edited by Rubicon Prec.; 10-26-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Canít seem to find my post from a few years ago but I thought I posted it on this site. Anyways I used a cheap harbor freight water pump 3/4hp that puts out maybe 40spi. I use 4gal of dark sulfur cutting oil and a gallon of automatic trans fluid. I only chamber barrels for myself and couldnít imagine doing it with out the flush system now. Itís clears chips very easy and Iím not in a hurry so I donít take that deep of cuts but it sure seems like it helps the reamer. I also use filters to filter out the fine cuttings. I recently changed out the filters and I can say they are a must! A lot of fine cuttings In the filter housings
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F3314B09-4492-44D7-8AC4-09D035E65F71.jpeg 
Views:	99 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	21679  

Thanks for all the replyís yíall its way more common than I thought it was. the way I have doing the search just reading the popular or most replays nothing was really coming up.

Danny I actually found your post a couple days ago i really dig your build I like how itís mobile thatís a direction I think Iím going to go with mine.

Gene, thanks man I will be keeping an eye out on eBay

Rubicon, thanks for posting the video that was super impressive I wish My lathe had an inboard coolant pump!!! After seeing that Iím going to have to do this.