Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rimfire Reamers

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Beggs View Post
    Cecil, these are all very good questions. I'll be listening closely to the responses.

My rimfire experience has been limited but I'm certainly interested and have an open mind to it. I obtained two new Turbo actions from Flash Ebert several years ago and had Bill Myers modify them to incorporate my deferentially threaded bushings so the barrels could be clocked up to the receiver in any position without affecting headspace. I was busy with centerfire group shooting and after dabbling in rimfire a bit, I decided to concentrate on centerfire. Who knows, if I live long enough and can find the energy and motivation, I may give rimfire another go.

Good shootin' and hope you have good response to your questions.

Later,

Gene Beggs
    Hey Gene,

Does that rifle in the background look familiar to yuh? LOL

Landy

Thumbs up Exactly How I Feel

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerP7M8 View Post

The only serious lot testing I've done has been with other's rifles because I have a hard time saying no when they ask for help or are struggling with rifles that just won't shoot and I volunteer my help.
    I've failed to help quite often, but on those occasions where I've been able to get a rifle competitive, it's been more rewarding for me than winning any match I attend.

Landy

Hey there Landy. It's always good to read your posts. Glad to hear you're doing fine and enjoying yourself.

I know what you mean about the rewards of helping others because I feel exactly the same way.

Looking for gremlins and searching for the keys to unlock nature's secrets is right up my alley!

Keep in touch.

Gene Beggs

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerP7M8 View Post
    Hey Gene,

Does that rifle in the background look familiar to yuh? LOL

Landy

Yes sir, it sure does! Want to sell it back to me?

E-mail me at genebeggs@cableone.net with the details.

Later,

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    The chamber has been cut. Engraving established.
    Now on to finishing the chamber. Another area of mystery.
    Question on reamer diagram-
    Can you hold the diameter of the chamber identical from front to back of chamber as depicted in diagram?
    What is your limits of acceptance of run-out in rear of chamber?

Could you describe your process-procedure for "finishing the chamber".

Thanks for your time/patience.
    CLP

Quote Originally Posted by C.L. Peterson View Post
    Question on reamer diagram-
    Can you hold the diameter of the chamber identical from front to back of chamber as depicted in diagram?
    What is your limits of acceptance of run-out in rear of chamber?

Could you describe your process-procedure for "finishing the chamber".

Thanks for your time/patience.
    CLP
    Some guys will do a post chamber polish or a lapp to eliminate any roughness or burrs that will not shoot out compared to, say a PPC.
    The exact methodology of this seems to vary and is highly propriatary. On their deathbed you’re not likely to get anybody to devulge much.

My question to Landy was in regards more towards breaking in or “seasoning” the chamber’s throat area particular in regards to carbon/lead fouling.
    Brand new barrels often build carbon in the throat fairly frequently until they get “seasoned” if you will.
    IMHO it is important as to how you clean and maintain until that point to realize max potential of a barrel.

With that said I think I have rambled on enough. It would be nice to have someone else jump in here.
    Last edited by tim; 10-12-2018 at 07:49 PM.

The two new barrels

Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Some guys will do a post chamber polish or a lapp to eliminate any roughness or burrs that will not shoot out compared to, say a PPC.
    The exact methodology of this seems to vary and is highly propriatary. On their deathbed you’re not likely to get anybody to devulge much.

My question to Landy was in regards more towards breaking in or “seasoning” the chamber’s throat area particular in regards to carbon/lead fouling.
    Brand new barrels often build carbon in the throat fairly frequently until they get “seasoned” if you will.
    IMHO it is important as to how you clean and maintain until that point to realize max potential of a barrel.

With that said I think I have rambled on enough. It would be nice to have someone else jump in here.
    I just did acted individually differently regrading the carbon ring. One of them I polished the the throat a good bit on and it built a big carbon ring initially. Seeing that, I didn't polish the second at all and it didn't build much of a ring. Both have diminished regarding the carbon as rounds have gone through. Neither foul much now and I have found no evidence of lead since the first box through the polished chamber. So, there may be something to the seasoning thing, however, I think it may have more to do with wear than anything else. Reamers are rough tools in a RF barrel compared to a CF barrel, from my years of experience. CF chambers all come out smooth in comparison.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete Wass; 10-12-2018 at 10:55 PM.

Isn't that sort of based on..

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Beggs View Post
    Yes sir, it sure does! Want to sell it back to me?

E-mail me at genebeggs@cableone.net with the details.

Later,

Gene
    Shelly Davidsons design for a CF stock maybe 20 years ago or so? --Greg

Quote Originally Posted by glp View Post
    Shelly Davidsons design for a CF stock maybe 20 years ago or so? --Greg

Greg, Shelly Davidson's 'Tinker Toy' rifle was indeed the inspiration for my version of the skeleton stock you see here.
    Shelly came out to my place several times and tested in the tunnel. His rifle, which was chambered in 30 BR, shot great. He was quite an innovator.

Although I copied nothing about the way Shelly built his rifle, as I said, it did get me to thinking about my own design for an all aluminum, bolt-together, bolt-it-on benchrest stock for centerfire actions. Only two were built for rimfire actions.

For a couple of years, both the rifles I shot in short range group matches were the skeleton type. I usually called them 'Ultralites.' The first one I nicknamed "Bud Ugly.

"Most people said, "Aww, that won't work!" "With that forend 'sled' bolted directly to the barrel like that, it'll mess up your harmonics!" Well, it certainly did nothing of the kind and the rifles shot very well, responding in a perfectly normal manner to the tuner. I've given it a lot of thought and intend to build more incorporating only two small improvements. Stay tuned.

Gene Beggs