Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 76 to 86 of 86

Thread: Rimfire Benchrest rifles (Calfee SPEC rifles)

  1. #76
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by drknite View Post
    How much of Merlin is still all original as it came from Calfee?
    It is a 12 year old competition rifle. Parts have been updated but the kick ass DNA has stayed the same.

    TKH

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    143
    Taking credit for building the rifle in its current configuration would be like taking a early seventy model Vega, adding a tube chassis, a big block chevrolet motor and aftermarket transmission, along with a narrowed rear and bigger tires, and acting like it was an original Vega. Totally irrational and unrealistic.
    Last edited by drknite; 09-04-2020 at 07:59 PM.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by drknite View Post
    Taking credit for building the rifle in its current configuration would be like taking a early seventy model Vega, adding a tube chassis, a big block chevrolet motor and aftermarket transmission, along with a narrowed rear and bigger tires, and acting like it was an original Vega. Totally irrational and unrealistic.
    Hold up there cowboy. I have never taken credit for any Calfee rifle. I just report the results.

    So don't preach to me. If your boys don't win, and didn't win, not my fault.

    TKH

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    143
    I don't think anyone has a problem with Calfee taking credit for any victories his rifles produced when they were in their original configuration. The problem comes when the rifle has a new barrel done by a different gunsmith, a different stock with new bedding and who knows what else, and Calfee and you still call it a Calfee rifle. Bill still seems to want credit for the victories. It's really rather sad. His reputation in the rimfire world is unquestionable. He doesn't need to try to remain in spotlight by taking credit for building something that is no longer close to the original version. As to my people winning or not winning, I don't have any people. It's doesn’t make me any difference who wins.

  5. #80
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by drknite View Post
    I don't think anyone has a problem with Calfee taking credit for any victories his rifles produced when they were in their original configuration. The problem comes when the rifle has a new barrel done by a different gunsmith, a different stock with new bedding and who knows what else, and Calfee and you still call it a Calfee rifle. Bill still seems to want credit for the victories. It's really rather sad. His reputation in the rimfire world is unquestionable. He doesn't need to try to remain in spotlight by taking credit for building something that is no longer close to the original version. As to my people winning or not winning, I don't have any people. It's doesn’t make me any difference who wins.
    drknite,

    I started this thread because of my appreciation for the SPEC series of rifles Calfee built.

    They were unique in many ways when they were built. They have been the most successful series of competition rifles ever to my knowledge.

    If you know who or whom to credit for the changes that have been made to those rifles over time here is the place to do it.

    TKH

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    143
    Mr. Tony I have nothing but respect for what you have done in this sport. You asked the million dollar question. At this point where the rifle isn't even close to the original version, when it does do well who really should get the credit. I would have to say that it should be Todd Wooten. Regardless of who worked on it and whatever changes have been made he still had to make the shots. As to the credit for the gunsmith work, it's now a conglomeration where it's a question as to who deserves the credit. I was just pointing out that once something has been changed that much from its original condition, it can't really be considered a original anymore.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    359
    Quote Originally Posted by drknite View Post
    Mr. Tony I have nothing but respect for what you have done in this sport. You asked the million dollar question. At this point where the rifle isn't even close to the original version, when it does do well who really should get the credit. I would have to say that it should be Todd Wooten. Regardless of who worked on it and whatever changes have been made he still had to make the shots. As to the credit for the gunsmith work, it's now a conglomeration where it's a question as to who deserves the credit. I was just pointing out that once something has been changed that much from its original condition, it can't really be considered a original anymore.
    We should never minimize the shooter. He/she is absolutely the most important part of the entire shooting equation.

    When you work your way through a card and are making hundreds of decisions about your point of aim and you finally fire that last round for a really good target there is no doubt in your mind who deserves the credit.

    Of course other shooters want to say "well he had the better ammo, barrel, rifle, bench, or relay". We have all heard it.

    But on the other hand, when you have done all the right things, made exactly the right decisions, and watched round after round go somewhere other than where intended.

    You know you can't get it done without a great rifle and great ammo.

    Lets face it RFBR is a hard game, everyone should enjoy the wins they get.

    All that said, I think the Calfee Spec rifles are unique in the sport, and their winning record regardless of the format, deserves recognition.

    TKH

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    143
    Agreed.

  9. #84
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    359

    2020 Professional Shooting League (PSL) Main Event - Todd Wooten Wins!

    Todd Wooten / Merlin Spec 4 not only won the 2020 PSL Main Event he did it with a fantastic score. Todd agged. 2408 over the three PSL targets.

    If you have ever shot a PSL target you know that is simply killing it.

    Congrats Todd!!!!

    TKH

  10. #85
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    359

    Dirty Poole!!!! Open letter to Paul Tolvstad

    Paul,

    I'm sure you know I've been trying to get Bill Calfee to build one more Spec rifle. Namely the Virginian, or Night Train, or whatever. But he has ducked it at every corner.

    I'm also sure you know Bill wants a rather special barrel for his pistol. Now this is where you come in.

    If you, like me, think the world will be a better place with at least one more spec rifle, you hold the leverage that just might make that happen.

    Do you see where I'm going with this?

    Yea, it may be dirty poole, but sometimes you have to push a little.

    TKH

  11. #86
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    359

    Post deleted

    Post deleted!
    Last edited by tonykharper; 10-24-2020 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Incorrect Information

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •