Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: aluminum bedding blocks

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    3

    aluminum bedding blocks

    does anyone know where I can find an aluminum bedding block for a 2500x action?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,906
    So....since you’re on a benchrest forum and few, if any BR builds use them, the question is what for ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    120
    Edit: Tim got to it while I was typing, but I'll leave my post as written.....only because I agree with him!

    Well, I have one, but it was custom made by Mark Penrod. It's in a McMillan HV Straight Line Edge stock and Mark did the entire build. I seriously doubt if he would make one and just sell it. I would say any competent gunsmith would be able to fabricate one. I would also say it most likely will be a stock type specific part.

    I do not know of a source that just makes them to sell. Most smiths, or stock makers, get a bit fussy about things like that for good reason. They make a part, sell it to an amateur 'hobby smith' who installs it and the rifle doesn't shoot. Guess what happens then, the 'hobby smith' blames any or all of the parts they got for the build on why the rifle doesn't shoot.

    If you plan on doing the work yourself, I do know of several guys that have made their own. No blame goes to a well accredited smith/stock maker when the rifle doesn't shoot then. Remember, you are asking about a specific action which is considered a custom action and all the support pieces that go into the rifle build are also considered custom. It's not like getting generic parts to do a build like a 10/22 clone. It's a very small market that really has no huge aftermarket to support to it. That, and you are asking about a part a lot of top notch rifles built on a 2500X don't even have. Pillars, yes, but bedding blocks.....not near as many as pillars IME. Perhaps someone else will post with a more positive answer. Good luck on your search.

    Scott
    Last edited by doclu60; 12-30-2020 at 12:23 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by doclu60 View Post
    Edit: Tim got to it while I was typing, but I'll leave my post as written.....only because I agree with him!

    Well, I have one, but it was custom made by Mark Penrod. It's in a McMillan HV Straight Line Edge stock and Mark did the entire build. I seriously doubt if he would make one and just sell it. I would say any competent gunsmith would be able to fabricate one. I would also say it most likely will be a stock type specific part.

    I do not know of a source that just makes them to sell. Most smiths, or stock makers, get a bit fussy about things like that for good reason. They make a part, sell it to an amateur 'hobby smith' who installs it and the rifle doesn't shoot. Guess what happens then, the 'hobby smith' blames any or all of the parts they got for the build on why the rifle doesn't shoot.

    If you plan on doing the work yourself, I do know of several guys that have made their own. No blame goes to a well accredited smith/stock maker when the rifle doesn't shoot then. Remember, you are asking about a specific action which is considered a custom action and all the support pieces that go into the rifle build are also considered custom. It's not like getting generic parts to do a build like a 10/22 clone. It's a very small market that really has no huge aftermarket to support to it. That, and you are asking about a part a lot of top notch rifles built on a 2500X don't even have. Pillars, yes, but bedding blocks.....not near as many as pillars IME. Perhaps someone else will post with a more positive answer. Good luck on your search.

    Scott

    Whidden gun works produce them for a few different actions but not the 2500x. Tom Merdith uses them on many of his Mcmillian stocks for the 2500x also. This gives you an option of using a stock that has actually been machined out for another action by milling out the stock and bedding in the bedding block. Most of the blocks have pillars incorporated into the block itself. Just checking to see if anyone has heard of a place that manufactures these before machining one myself.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,906
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrec300 View Post
    Whidden gun works produce them for a few different actions but not the 2500x. Tom Merdith uses them on many of his Mcmillian stocks for the 2500x also. This gives you an option of using a stock that has actually been machined out for another action by milling out the stock and bedding in the bedding block. Most of the blocks have pillars incorporated into the block itself. Just checking to see if anyone has heard of a place that manufactures these before machining one myself.
    Unless the stock has really been hogged out you would be probably far ahead to have it bedded and pillared.
    Tom has done several RF’s for me and a ton for the smith I use, including more than a few national match winning rifles, zero of them with blocks. I’d bet the overwhelming majority are bedded/pillared.
    Scott, above, certainly knows his way around a quality build, but IMO I think it is another potential source of unwanted resonance.
    Virtually any RF action I can think of is going to be fairly close to the Stiller I’d suspect.
    Last edited by tim; 12-30-2020 at 04:17 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,906
    Scott, you have me curious. I know Penrod’s work is as good as it gets....what was the thinking on the bedding block?
    How did iT perform for you?
    Last, Happy new year......gotta be better than ‘20.

    Tim

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrec300 View Post
    Whidden gun works produce them for a few different actions but not the 2500x. Tom Merdith uses them on many of his Mcmillian stocks for the 2500x also. This gives you an option of using a stock that has actually been machined out for another action by milling out the stock and bedding in the bedding block. Most of the blocks have pillars incorporated into the block itself. Just checking to see if anyone has heard of a place that manufactures these before machining one myself.
    Okay, now you have tipped your hand a bit, as in more information. I have not heard of anyone making a bedding block for the 2500X such as Whidden is doing and just offering it to the public. I looked at Whidden's site and yes, they make bedding blocks, but it seemed to me only for factory actions, and very few of those. So we have come full circle back to the low production and 'custom' definition of what a 2500X action is.

    I have neither positive, or negative opinions on bedding block equipped RFBR rifles. I do know Penrod is high on them, and from your post, apparently so is Meredith. That's two guys with very sound reputations in the business. You may be better off machining one yourself.

    Good luck on your project. I know a lot of guys doing their own work and it is always pleasing for me to see them have success shooting their own work and doing well. It's ESPECIALLY pleasing for them!

    Scott

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by tim View Post
    Scott, you have me curious. I know PenrodÂ’s work is as good as it gets....what was the thinking on the bedding block?
    How did iT perform for you?
    Last, Happy new year......gotta be better than ‘20.

    Tim
    Hey Tim, the rifle shoots good. I have won a couple of matches with it. It has 2 barrels and I have mostly shot it in the Unlimited configuration with the .900 on it and a heavy variable scope. Scope change (fixed power) and using the .850 makes 10.5lb. I have not worked or tested enough in that configuration to make an opinion.

    I know Mark pretty well, shoot a lot with him in ARA. We discussed the build for sometime when picking out parts. When I mentioned weight, and I thought the best we could do was 13.5lb, he said he thought we could do 10.5 with the heavy varmint stock. As for vibration, Mark really loves the HV McMillan. He said the fill in the stock was better than a solid fill. I suggested the LV as I already had one, but Mark does not like that stock at all and told me he has never seen one shoot that well. He said the bedding block would add rigidity in the action area and he felt it was more robust without adding undue weight. He was correct, rifle made 10.5lb, properly equipped.

    As far as my LV, yes it vibrates, you can see it in the scope and barrel.....but that rifle shoots really good. In the bags shooting IR 3-G, and in a one piece shooting Unlimited. It only has pillars and was bedded by Killough's, as it was originally a Gorham rifle. It was the rifle I won the ARA Area 4 Tournament with, but with a Langley barrel. It is my primary IR heavy gun. I can only guess that since both rifles I own with bedding blocks are completely bedded over the blocks, that it does not transfer a lot of vibration. (second rifle is a Rem 700 in a HS Precision stock. Penrod bedded that rifle as well)

    So there are many ways to skin the cat, just depends on who is doing what, with what. I do believe Mark is correct about the HV being the best McMillan to control vibration. I also believe the LV vibrates like an unbalanced washing machine, but mine, despite vibrating shoots great. I am not by any means dismissing the vibration issues, as I am now in the process of shaking out 2 new stocks, Rotex Dymalux. Issue there is no way to make 10.5, so they will be UL rifles.

    Same to you Tim on a Happy New Year. I hope 2021 is better as well! Always good to chat with you,
    Scott

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,906
    Well, there you go, I learned something today.....hadn’t realized they would be bedded over , can see how that could be stock specific.
    The one I got by him was from a guy out your way that shot with Paul,very low round count, had a beauty of a Lidgard stock but It was 5lbs, we found out it could make 10.5 even with a 26” bbl and Tommy did that one as well with a light TMBR.
    Came with a Muller 4 that shoots well, but I unscrewed it to save it, this last year Gordon fit a Muller 5 that is pretty good also.
    Thanks again.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    south dakota
    Posts
    132
    Hey Scott; What do you think of this bedding block. On a rifle that Mark Penrod built for me in 2008. I won a few matches in Lincoln with it. That was before I forgot how to shoot. The stock weighs 5# 9.5 oz. The rifle weighs 12# 14oz. Let me know when you are coming to Lincoln, I'll bring it along and let you check it out. Wayne

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,906
    Is that actually a bedding block ?
    I would almost call them kind of hybrid pillars, large but separate.
    Asfar as this thread is concerned, is a bedding block one that goes entire length of the action?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    south dakota
    Posts
    132
    Yes it is all one piece. 8" long by 1.5" wide by 1.5" high. Flat on the bottom and epoxied in.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    75
    I was thinking of something like this...
    We used it a lot on prone to use the same stock with different actions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captura de ecră 2020-12-31, ŕs 15.49.25.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	24278  

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,906
    Quote Originally Posted by lion View Post
    Yes it is all one piece. 8" long by 1.5" wide by 1.5" high. Flat on the bottom and epoxied in.
    OK. It’s hard to tell. May I assume it is inleted/glued from the bottom? I can see here where that assist in preventing wood movement in the stock shown.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    upstate, N.Y.
    Posts
    2,906
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroS View Post
    I was thinking of something like this...
    We used it a lot on prone to use the same stock with different actions.
    Pedro, those blocks would be the traditional ones that I would assume as well but the one shown, once you wrap your head around it is very interesting.
    In a modern composite stock, properly bedded, hard to evaluate the merit.
    For EU sporter with 8.5 limit & wood stock, it could be a plus, is anybody bedding this way?
    Here with a 7.5lb mandate, I suspect weight would preclude it.

    Lastly.....Happy New Year, stay safe.
    I have enjoyed our conversations.
    Tim
    Last edited by tim; 12-31-2020 at 01:03 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •