Zeiss Conquest POI shift

H

Heindrichvdc

Hope someone can assist, I bought a Zeiss Conquest HD 5 5-25x50 with Rapid Z 1000 reticle.

When I zero my POI on 200y with 25 magnification and I turn it back to 15 magnification the POI is 3 inches below initial POI.

Is the scope not level or is it a scope issue?

We need more information. If you zero your scope for 100 yds. with the center crosshair, all the hold over lines will result in a larger amount of holdover if the power is reduced. Once you have the correct optimum power setting and zero for your load, you must have the power set at the same optimum setting to use the holdover lines at all ranges except your center crosshair zero distance.

Last edited:
I'm thinking if the only thing you're doing is changing the power you have a scope problem. Same load, same distance...shouldn't matter how you set the power.

I ran into this

on a customers rifle. I looked at their website. The only yardage that you can change the power setting without changing POI is 500 yds. It's a crazy setup for sure.

Richard

on a customers rifle. I looked at their website. The only yardage that you can change the power setting without changing POI is 500 yds. It's a crazy setup for sure.

Richard

That does not sound right. I would suggest that you contact the factory and get the straight on this situation. I'll bet it can be fixed.

Bill and I are not scope experts. Just guessing about Bill but I know I'm not. The truth of the whole matter, scope expert or not, is that you should be able to change the scope power and not lose point of impact - all else being equal. Let's say that a rifle shoots an inch group at 100 yards. This rifle should shoot an inch group regardless of the scope power setting. If you change the power, and the rifle shoots in a different place, the scope is goofy and needs to be fixed.

Now, let's assume for a moment that the scope is designed to change point of impact when you change power. I'd try to get my money back if I could.

There's an "all else being equal" clause above that's pertinent. You can't change ammo/load and expect your rifle to shoot in the same place. Sometimes it will, but not expected at all.

It's the way the scope is made

I went through this with Zeiss. They have a chart to use when changing powers at different
yardages. I know it would drive me crazy. The guy that had it said it's too much to deal with in the field.

Bill and I are not scope experts. Just guessing about Bill but I know I'm not.

Good guess about me, Wilbur. Doesn't that scope cost around $3,000 new? Surely the Zeiss folks must know what they are doing or they are some really good salesmen.

That does not sound right. I would suggest that you contact the factory and get the straight on this situation. I'll bet it can be fixed.

Actually, that is exactly right. Any scope with the reticle in the second focal plane with holdover aiming points (Dots, lines, hashmarks) will change POI with any power change using the holdover aiming points. The center crosshair is not affected. The more common situation uses the center crosshair for zero, usually at 200 yards. The holdover aiming points for 300, 400, 500 yds., etc. are usually correct only at maximum magnification. The OP's circumstance is unusual because the Zeiss Z-1000 reticle uses the center crosshair for the 500 yard aiming point with hold under aiming points above the center for 100, 200, and 300 yds., and hold over aim points under the center for 600, 700, 800 yds., etc.

I think this represents the biggest disadvantage to multiple aiming point reticles and is the reason that custom elevation knob setups are becoming more popular.

Scott, You may be correct. I know that it is a new game to use a mil-dot scope with variable power.
I use a BSA Sweet 22 scope for 22 silhouettes and it works great.

scope issue may be...

...a scope bedding issue. I recently went through a similar problem with a much less expensive scope (Sightron 8-32x 30MM tube scope) and discovered that if I zeroed at 50 yards and then went to 100 yards (only adjusting parallax and elevation) the shots went off the paper. I bedded the bases to the action and the scope into the rings and the problem went away. I believe that when you apply any force, no matter how minimal, on the scope the mounting system fails. The system includes the action, bases, rings, and scope. Buy Tony Boyer's book and read how he mounts a scope. It saved me a lot of frustration. It may not work for you but it did for me.

Back