Yards vs. meters ?

Willyp

How much difference does sighting in at a meter range as to a yards range,make if you are trying for the X ring?
At 100 meters it is 8 yards further.
,i think ?So at each 100 more it adds on 8 more yards.right? So,if my figureing is right at 200=16,300 = 24,400= 32 and so on.
I was told,on another site,that if it made that much difference,with my type of shooting,to junk my gun!!!!!!
The reason i am asking is,I some times use 2 different ranges to shoot. I don't go as often as i use to,can't afford stuff. I would shoot and set up my rifle and have it shooting great ? The next time,due to things going on at that range have to go to the other one. It may be 2 or 3 weeks between shootings and my gun shot high or low or a little to the right or left! I would have different reasons for it and re-adjust it?
I guess i am foolish,but never thought of the one range being set up in meters! A fellow was there an told me that he had used a range finder and had checked the back stops ranges. They are in meters!
Any idea on much it changes things and how to cope with it ??????
I hope this isn't a dumb queation.

Good question

Let me try to give you a simple answer that I would do.
Go to the 1st range of your choice-shoot-adjust your scope.
Put a small piece of masking tape on the stock that tells you what you have done.
Like sighted in for 100 yds (date)

Then go to the second range- shoot- and record the amount it takes to bring your scope in at that range.
Record the info on a piece of masking tape and place on the barrel. (ike 3 clicks up-2 clicks right for 100 meters (date)

Now all you have to remember is where your shooting and refer to the masking tape.

If you have a Leupold or similar scope that you can adjust your turrets to zero for range one and then move them for range two they will be adjusted for range two.
Hope this helps,
Centerfire

The difference at 100 yards/ meters is 9 yards.
That doesn't sound like much if you are shooting a rifle and caliber that has a rather flat trajectory. There in lies the rub. You haven't mentioned what caliber you are shooting. What you need to do is go to a ballistic site that calculates rise, or drop, of your caliber and bullet and enter that data into their tables. That should give you the differences through the entire spectrum from 100 or fewer yards through 1000 meters or more.
Center fire was right on with his suggestion which has you entering one setting on your scope and adjusting at the second club.

Last edited:
Centerfire has it right...

But I'll add one more thing to it. Your rifle simply won't shoot in the same place from day to day - especially if it's been in a rifle case. It won't (shouldn't) move far but often enough to cause you a problem. MKS said that I think, but I'm saying it again.

I shoot short range benchrest 100/200 yds. I have to make adjustments to my scope for bullet impact,every time I go to the range. Regardless of range design or location. A lot has to do with atmosphere conditions, Load tune, Bench design, bag set up,,etc,etc.

Competition scope models are designed to make quick and easy adjustments for bullet impact on target. In track and Field,100 meters is about 110 yds. 200 meters is about 220yds.

Set up practice targets on range at distance you’re going to be shooting. Use your scope or sights to adjust the impact of your shots to hit the (X) at each yardage that you’re shooting.

I don’t believe you can precisely preset a scope for a specific range. There are too many variables that come into play.

At the registered matches I’ve attended,you are allowed extra time to get you rifle sighted in to your liking. I’m not an expert,I just do this for fun.

Glenn

Takes one shot....

Fire a shot, aim back at the same place and move your crosshair to the bullet hole.

Free Ballistic Calculators

G'day.

A very handy piece of ballistics software is Hawke Chairgun Pro. It's a free download from hawkeoptics.com/chairgun.html and it works very well.

Do not be put off by the defaults for airgun pellets, as it works for any projectile that you care to input the data for and it handles yards and meters equally well, indeed, one can change units on the fly.

I used it to print some neat little range cards. Very happy with this product (usual disclaimer, no connection with company).

Regards * Doghunter *

Wilbur Its about time someone had a little common sense, everyone has to complicate thing. If you miss with the first shot, click to it, then back to the bull. It works at any range. It works even with groundhogs, prairie dogs, or clay birds at 1000 yards!

Joe salt

I don’t believe you can precisely preset a scope for a specific range. There are too many variables that come into play.

This is the wisest thing said so far in this thread.

If you are shooting up hill or down hill also has an effect, you simply must sight in at each range/yardage.

Dick

Back