Would Appreciate Input on 600 Yard Target

walker2713

I shoot a monthly 600 yard match at a club I belong to here in N. Louisiana.

For practical reasons, we shoot 3 rounds of 7, 7 & 6 shots for a total of 20 rounds for score.

On the first two rounds, I had a 61 and a 59, not great but reason for hope.

The third round of six shots you can see I have one in the ten ring, and five shots in a fairly small group off to the right in the 5 ring.

FullSizeRender.jpg

I don't believe the wind did this, and I'm looking for some input on what I should be doing to correct this. I plan to be back at the range on Tuesday to put some more rounds down range.

I've got a Savage F Class rifles with a very new Criterion 6.5X47 Lapua barrel, and I'm shooting 130gr Berger VLD using 40.0gr of H4350.

Was this just some kind of fluke? Any ideas?

I appreciate your input. Thanks.

George

Photo of setup from previous match.....I don't shoulder the rifle....use "free recoil" and pinch trigger pull.

FullSizeRender_zpsnplrvybt.jpg

i have just started shooting at longer than 300.
at 500 a mild wind change will move a bullet several inches.
it would appear you fired 5 in one condition..with a l-r wind
just after your first shot....or it was your last....and
the wind died.
i'm still learning wish i could shoot 5 in a group that size.
i think my 6.5x284 is too much gun for 500 .

The third round of six shots you can see I have one in the ten ring, and five shots in a fairly small group off to the right in the 5 ring.

George,

Were you shooting with Flags ?

1. What happened to the other shooters next to you on the same match? If they had the same problem then you have your answer.

2. If not then you might want to look at your front rest then your scope.

Jerry

George, I don't remember if you have wind flags or not, but you are welcome to shoot on the same bench as I and use my wind flags. Maybe this will give you an idea if it is the wind or not causing your problems. You can shoot either the first or second relay. See you in August. Good shooting....James Mock

Attachments

• March , Ezell WF 008.jpg
    March , Ezell WF 008.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 299
61 and 59 are not what would give me hope,

I shoot a monthly 600 yard match at a club I belong to here in N. Louisiana.

For practical reasons, we shoot 3 rounds of 7, 7 & 6 shots for a total of 20 rounds for score.

On the first two rounds, I had a 61 and a 59, not great but reason for hope.

View attachment 16401

I don't believe the wind did this, and I'm looking for some input on what I should be doing to correct this. I plan to be back at the range on Tuesday to put some more rounds down range.

I've got a Savage F Class rifles with a very new Criterion 6.5X47 Lapua barrel, and I'm shooting 130gr Berger VLD using 40.0gr of H4350.

Was this just some kind of fluke? Any ideas?

I appreciate your input. Thanks.

George

Photo of setup from previous match.....I don't shoulder the rifle....use "free recoil" and pinch trigger pull.

View attachment 16402
but the five shot group to the right does. Tells me that you need to tune your gun in condition. Shoot over flags at one hundred. When it shoots a big hole it will most likely shoot at 600 too. Your target looks like lots of 600 yd targets at most shoots. Reading wind and mirage will enable you to put the group where it is supposed to be. Prayer and profanity help too.
LASER

Back