Wolf small magnum primers

chino69

I've had two recent failures with Wolf small rifle mag. primers in a 6mm BR. I know they have a hard cup but I never experienced this with CCI 450s. The bolt has a bushed firing pin hole, extra power firing pin spring and firing pin from Greg Tannel. The primer is definitely 'whomped' hard enough from the firing pin so I'm wondering if any others have experienced this and how they corrected it. I have CCI 450s but bought 5,000 of the Wolfs before they hiked the price and would like to continue using them.

Any thoughts or experience would be appreciated.

Lou Baccino

I've had one happen to me last summer. Wolf SRM being ignited buy a Panda bolt. I have no correction other than seat them pretty hard so they definitely bottom out. They do fit just a tad tighter than the 450's.

Wolf primers

I've had one happen to me last summer. Wolf SRM being ignited buy a Panda bolt. I have no correction other than seat them pretty hard so they definitely bottom out. They do fit just a tad tighter than the 450's.

Thanks for the input. I'll be extra attentive during the seating to make certain they are bottomed out.

L.B.

Thanks for the input. I'll be extra attentive during the seating to make certain they are bottomed out.

L.B.

I had the same problem, the solution is to "crush" seatem. Have not had a missfire yet.

Same story. Had some hang fires with Wolf large rifle primers. Others here advised to seat them really hard so I put about as much pressure as I can with a hand primer and I haven't had a misfire or hangfire since.

If these are the nickel plated SRM's, you have to seat them in what feels to me like two stages. I use a K&M seater. You seat them down firmly, then give it some extra & it will seat on down to a hard stop. If you look at these primers from the side, you will see that the anvill sits well above the rim of the cup. From what I have read, and it makes sense, the second step in seating these primers is actually seating the anvil & sorta pre-tensioning the primer assembly. I have been using the Wolf SRM (nickel plated) for the past two years without a FTF, but I had read that they needed to be seated hard before I started using them. There is a new & somewhat different batch out now, and they may require a different technique.

I use a RCBS Ram-prime unit in a dedicated Partner press when seating Wolf primers - either small or large - instead of a hand-priming tool. Don't believe I've experienced a FTF with the SRMs, but have had several with the large ones.

I found that my Nesika K won't set the LRMs off more than 60% of the time while testing 308 loads in prep for a trip to Phoenix last month, so I've given up on using them in Palma loads. Have also had some problems with the LRMs in a BAT 3LL, with both barrels (6.5x55 AI & 284 Win), and while trying to fireform 250 AI cases in a M700 with a bushed FP hole. So, I no longer use them in FF ammo.

I'd be kinda pissy about all this, but the darned things give pretty good ES & Sd numbers, as well as good accuracy. As hard as F210s have been to come by, I'm glad to have the Wolfs - I just have to be selective about where I use them.

Back