Wind flag placement.........

R

ray in seattle

New shooter would like to know common spacing for (4) wind flags 100 - 300 yard distances. Thanks! r in s.

For 100 yds I'd just put them all out there more less evenly spaced. For 200 yds I'd put one each at 25, 50, 75, and 150 yds. 300 yards is a long distance to cover with 4 flags, but I would probably put one at 25 yds, one at 75 yds, one at 150, and one at 250. If there are places on your range that seem to direct the flow of wind (like berms etc) it would be good to take that into consideration a well.

Rick Graham

There is also that matter of height, and left to right placement. At 200 I like my last flag to be as high as is legal, with the pivot centered on the target. I want the next farthest to be in line with the first (on a line from target to rifle) and at a height so that it is stacked just under it in my scope ( with a 36x) Higher power scopes, without a raised horizontal crosshair may not have the field of view for this arrangement. Closer flags, that are not to be viewed from the scope are offset to the side of the bench where I am sitting as far as I can without getting in the way of the shooter at the bench next to me, to make them easier to see with my off eye, while behind the scope.

At a match, shooters who are experienced on that range will modify their distances based on experience. At Visalia for instance, the nearest flags are usually well under 25 yards, which ever flag is nearest the distance that the western berm jogs to a lower height should be just past the drop down. Also, on the left there is a driveway past the end of the range cover that forms a chute for a 6:00 wind and making the conditions next to it have different conditions than the rest of the range where the wind is more blocked ,because the range is well below the grade of the surrounding land. At the eastern most bench, the prevailing wind (NNW) does not go all the way into the "corner" beside the tall, almost vertical side berm, but leaves a sort of eddy pocket that may have significantly easier conditions.

These are just a few considerations that effect flag placement on one range. I have also been lucky enough to have a shooter better than I (long list) share with me what flags he was paying the most attention to in the day's prevailing condition.

My opinion is

one should look for funnels; openings in tree lines or roads or anything that is likely to funnel more velocity on to the range. If one looks around a bit, it becomes fairly obvious where there is uneveness or funnels. A flag should be placwd to read the funnel one finds. I have never shot at a range that is absolutely wide open; I realize they exist. Also one must pay attention to what is behind them, I.E. structures that may vector conditions on to the range. On ranges that have lots of berms, berms can raise havoc with one's ability to read conditions. It's real simple. :D

Last edited:
Our of the 4 flags what 1 do you feel is the most important?

Like if you were only to put 1 flag out?

thanks in advance.

That's kind of like saying, which of the four wheels on your car is the most important. If you have four....use four. But the closer to the bench the wind is.....the further the deflection will be at the target. Heck...if I was shooting 300yds with only one flag....I'd leave it in the truck and watch the grass, trees, etc.

Hovis

Back