Wilbur Harris - Tribute and Funeral Information

admin

Administrator
Staff member
wilbur-harris.jpg

Hi Friends,

As most of you have heard, Dad passed away Saturday evening. I'm still at a loss for words and have not yet adjusted to a world without him.

Over the past year, he's battled multiple life threatening conditions. And let me assure you, he met those challenges with courage and a measure of hope that he would be well enough to shoot again.

Like a good son, I assumed the role of caretaker. Over the past year, that commitment which began as burden, grew into a great blessing in my life. Our bond grew stronger and our relationship closer as his time grew shorter.

I want you to know as a community at large and as individuals that you meant the world to my father. Like many of you, his quest for improved accuracy and precision led him to benchrest, but what he found was much more. He found people eager to help. He found as many of you have found, amazing people unique in many ways, but all share a common thread in being competitive benchrest shooters.

I really can't find the words to do the man justice, nor tell you how much you meant to him, but I can easily say you meant the world to him. He loved this community, and he loved the sport.

Our family continues to covet your prayers.

God Bless You and please help celebrate Wilbur's life with memories of him on this thread.

Elmer

Funeral Service information are as follows:

Visitation is 6-8pm EST, July 7 (tomorrow):

Vaughn Funeral Home
150 New Lake Rd
Spring City, TN 37381

Funeral Service at 1pm EST, July 8 (Thursday):

Smith Cemetery
200 Meadows Rd
Powells Crossroads, TN 37392

Local Florists (for those who can't make it to the visitation)

Village Flower & Gift Shoppe
141 Clinton Ave
Spring City, TN 37381

Rhea Floral & Gift Shoppe
249 Main St.
Dayton, TN 37321

Dayton Flower Box
1548 Market St
Dayton, TN 37321

Last edited:
I shook Wilbur's hand for the first time in Georgia at I think was the 1st LR nationals (200&300yd). He sure made Bill Hull and I comfortable and a part of all that went on that weekend.
What a weekend that I'll never forget. We will continue to keep you in our prayers.

I only wish I could have met the man and shook his hand and my heart goes out to all of the family and friends.

many years ago Wilbur and i shared a motel room. he had a laptop and constantly checked it, so i had to ask about that. he was just getting benchrest central started and was checking on his baby.

so sorry to hear we have lost him.

ray

Elmer

Very sorry for your loss.

Where can I send a memorial besides flowers?

Thanks

Dave Coots

Wilbur

Sincere condolences from down under and thank you for keeping Wilbur's legacy online.

Regards * doggie *

Prayers and condolences to the family... Wilbur was a great man and a true pillar to the benchrest community... Wilbur will be sorely missed and we will not see the likes of Wilbur again in our lifetime... We are diminished....

R.I.P. Wilbur..

Dave Smith

I had the pleasure of shooting with Wilbur many times in the SE region. He was a good man and shooter. Wilbur has done much to promote and further the interests of benchrest and he will be sorely missed by all.

To be able to touch so many lives is a great tribute to his lifetime. And its a true blessing to see and to read all of these comments on his behalf.

I can't begin to tell how much Wilbur Harris meant to me. We traveled to many matches together, since the late 80's when we started this game. We shared motel rooms, benches, windflags, many, many times over these years. He was always more than glad to help anyone , anytime. He even had a rifle built, w/donated parts, he took to every match. This rifle was for any newcomer, or anyone that thought they wanted to get into the game. A complete set up, rest, bags, rifle , scope, bullets, primers, powder. He would even pay an entry fee for a young person, just to promote the sport. We were in daily contact, as long as he was well enough to get to his key board. It absolutely tears my heart out to know he is no longer with us. God Bless Wilbur Harris,, and God Bless Elmer. Great great friends. We will miss.
Tommy McKee

Posting for Bruce Eppers

I met Wilbur for the first time at the range in Bristol Va. in the late '80's. I had gotten there early on Friday to place loading trailer in the limited camping area. While setting up a man and his young son showed up. It was Wilbur & Elmer. Wilbur was as excited as any kid on Christmas morning. He was looking for Clearance Hammonds to get there. Clearance was to be delivering Wilbur's first bench rest rifle to him at the match. I don't know how he ended up shooting in that match but he was as proud as any new papa with that new gun.
Over the years I got to shoot in several matches with Wilbur and really enjoyed both his company and unique sense of quiet humor. I do not ever remember seeing him quite as excited though as when Clearance pulled that big motor home on the lot that first time we met.
Over the years we have lost a lot of shooters from our close knit shooting community and with the loss of Wilbur another "special" one has left us. He will be greatly missed by many.
BRUCE EPPERS

I met Wilbur for the first time at the range in Bristol Va. in the late '80's....While setting up a man and his young son showed up. It was Wilbur & Elmer. Wilbur was as excited as any kid on Christmas morning. He was looking for Clearance Hammonds to get there. Clearance was to be delivering Wilbur's first bench rest rifle to him at the match.

That ↑↑↑ is a nice story.

Whenever I saw a post from Wilbur I usually read it -- I liked his insight. One of my favorite posts of his is # 15 at http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?85285-Average-BR-shooters-age. EDIT: The foregoing link doesn't work as a result of the forum "upgrade", but this one does >>> https://benchrest.com/forum/threads/average-br-shooters-age.85285/

Last edited:
Last Thursday I spoke to Elmer by text message. I told Elmer to tell Wilbur I was praying and loved him. Elmer replied,, I told dad what you said ,, he smiled.

Wilbur

I Send my Sincere condolences to Elmer and family
It saddens me to know that Wilbur has passed
We traveled a lot together shooting IR 50/50 Wilbur was a good Competitor and a great friend
He always had something to say to keep you smiling
I will never forget Wilbur and I was at the Crawfish I was Unloading my equipment Wilbur was helping me I had a little red wagon that I was hauling my Equipment on
Wilbur was pulling the wagon with my rest / wind flags / and etc it was loaded down
Just as Wilbur started to cross the road the wagon hung up in the gravel and turned over
Just as I got to Wilbur I will never what he said to me
While we were picking everything up out of the road
Wilbur said to me
He said Cliff it don’t take all of this to play this Game

Rest In Peace my Friend

Back