Wichita action bolt face modification?

B

Brute

Can the bolt face on a Wichita action in 6ppc be opened up to accomodate the BR's{22,6mm,30,etc.}.I know some custom action's bolts are simply too hard to machine.Also any info on Wichita actions/firearm,s would be appreciated. The action is a right bolt left port and was at one time a very competitive rig in "group" matches , but my local club shoots "score" and I would like to convert to 30BR.All help /opinions welcome.

Thanks,
Brute

Can the bolt face on a Wichita action in 6ppc be opened up to accomodate the BR's{22,6mm,30,etc.}.I know some custom action's bolts are simply too hard to machine.Also any info on Wichita actions/firearm,s would be appreciated. The action is a right bolt left port and was at one time a very competitive rig in "group" matches , but my local club shoots "score" and I would like to convert to 30BR.All help /opinions welcome.

Thanks,
Brute

The bolt nose area can be machined but whether the PPC extractor can operate on a BR case head without a little grinding, I dont know........Don

Wichita Bolt

I had Nolan Jackson at Wichita Arms open the 6PPC bolt face on my Wichita BR action to standard BR size many years ago. Still shoot it often. Works fine. Never asked about the extractor, so don't know if he changed it or not. Google "Wichita Arms" and email them for details. Vic

Wichita action

I own a Wichita 1375 ( I think) benchrest action.
I know nothing about gunsmithing but I had my 6PPC boltface opened to take the BR (308) boltface. I shot it switch barrel one barrel in 6PPC and one barrel in .25BR Improved. All I had to do was to change extractors between the barrels. I belive that the extractor for the BR was a PPC extractor ground slightly to accomodate the bigger case head.
Just for what its worth I belive the Whichita action is very well made and an accurate rifle can be built on it. It would not give much up to the best of actions made to day. Its drawback is that a LV rifle almost cant be built on it and the tree lugs make for harder bolt lift and not as slick operation as many of the newer ones. The stiff opening requires freequent sizing of the brass or mild loads. Incidentally 28 gr of 133 do not require sizing and brass lasts forever giving me 3300 fps from 25 inch barrel.

Back