Why is the Gunsmith Corner only one page long now?

Mike Bryant

I noticed that there are no longer page links on the Gunsmith forum. Just wondering if the hyperlink to them was deleted or whether there just aren't that many posts on this forum anymore?

Thanks, Dusty. That took care of that. Didn't have that problem with any of the other forums and had never even seen that feature. How do you get it to save it to where it stays that way when you leave and come back?

Last edited:
To make a change in your default settings click on Forum Actions (at the top of the page)and then on General Settings in the drop down menu, scroll down, make the change, and then click on save at the bottom of the page. Problem solved.

After following Boyd's instructions, my forum age setting was set to forum default when I went in to the settings page. I set it to show from the beginning and the gunsmith forum was like all the rest as to showing multiple pages. Thanks, Boyd and Dusty.

I ran into this same situation earlier this year. After changing my settings I found that the forum took longer to load on my smart phone and decided to go back to 1 month in view and use the settings option to occasionally look for a thread that is over 1 month old.
Works better this way for me.

Bolt face .223 versus .308.

Guy's I'm looking to have a rifle that could be shot in VFS and Hunter class. I've got a solid little used 700 BDL .223 Varmint heavy barreled rifle from the late 90's in the safe. Could the bolt face of a .223 be opened up to a .308 bolt face? Thanks.

Guy's I'm looking to have a rifle that could be shot in VFS and Hunter class. I've got a solid little used 700 BDL .223 Varmint heavy barreled rifle from the late 90's in the safe. Could the bolt face of a .223 be opened up to a .308 bolt face? Thanks.

It certainly could,although you will need to install a sako style extractor which will cost you the rem. safety breaching system.

+1 on what Martin says about opening the bolt face. Lots of people detract from using a Sako extractor and it can come out if you blow a primer, not a blanked primer. That very rarely happens with .308 or PPC bolt faces, but can easily happen with a .223 sized bolt face. After Pat Byrne blew a primer and sent a sako style extractor into a steel door, I quit installing Sako style extractors on .223 sized bolt faces. I really don't think that the M-16 extractor is any safer as it has a larger slot cut in the side of the bolt. With the loads we shoot in PPC's, I've never seen a PPC blow a primer. Probably has to do with using a small primer in a fairly large case head at .440" in diameter. Come close, but not blown. Make a mistake with the wrong powder and any sized case head will blow the primer.

Back