Who made this barrel vice?

TomD

e publius unum
I bought this barrel vice more than 20 years ago from one of the early benchrest competitors, Rex Dunn, a contemporary of Doc Watson and a Riverbend Gun Club from decades ago. Someone spent a lot of time with it because there are 5 different inserts like the one shown but with different diameters. Plus the inserts are tapered to fit the common barrel profiles.

There is obviously history behind it but I don't know what it is. Lots of people have seen it while I've used it at the range but I've always been asked where it came from.

In the interests of space and weight, I just bought an new vice, pictured below. I'm not sure if it is meant to be a tool or a piece of art, very nicely detailed. I'm almost itching to start spinning barrels!

DSC6424_zps3e582da0.jpg

DSC6423_zps650a32b5.jpg

Everything Bob makes is a piece of art, but yes they do work. Check out his Front Rests on his web page! Can't help you with the other one ,that look older than me.

Joe Salt

Don't know the exact manufacturer but they had them at Fort Moultrie on Sullivan island.

Sorry guys. Inside joke.

I've lived in the Charleston area (Isle of Palms) for a cumulative year and some as I ran two construction projects there, one in the early 90's and the other about 4 years later. I get the references. So my equipment is antediluvian, huh, like me?

Actually that's correct.

Back