which scope?

Z

zach in ohio

well I've been interested in benchrest for a while, just trying some long range with my 10/22. But I attended this last 600 yd. shoot at thunder valley and I can't wait to build me up a .308 for shooting up there. I found a gun shop that will sell me a heavy barreled savage .308 (with the old trigger)for 350 and I'm going to get a rifle basix minumium 6 oz. trigger, and a bell and carlson tactical/varmint stock. Mainly the rifle will be for steel and a few ibs matches and some ground hog hunting off bipod. But the scope gots me wondering. My budget is about 350/400 for the scope, millet is sounding good but everyone I see is useing leapuld or nightforce, and a couple weavers. I don't think a fixed pwoer is going to help me much for groundhog hunting. My best choice right now is the nikon 6-18 buckmaster with a mildot, at midway. I got to wait till tax returns, so I got a while anyway. Just wondering what you guys are thinking.

zach

Inexpensive Scope and a 308

Zach

You are really painting yourself into a corner with a cheaper scope and a 308. If you try to go with decent glass (i.e Burris Black Diamond scopes and even those are outside the budget you specified) you will probably not have enough adjustment in the scope due to the trajectory a 308 gives you. Then if you go with something that has the adjustment you wont have decent glass and internals. My word of advice is save for a good scope. Putting money into a sub-par scope is like throwing money out the window. Keep your eyes peeled for a good used Leupold LR in 8.5-25. Can usually find one out there for $700 or so.

Buy what you need and cry once.

Rob

I second Rob's advice. You will be very disappointed with a lesser scope. Save, save!!!

Tony

dont get a millet scope, low quality, low light........( i have a 4x16 30 mm...my old school steel tube 4x scopes are much better at 4x)

go look at midway...they have a few luepolds on sale....still not cheap...

mike in co

thanks guys

Thank you for helping me out. I think the classified ads on this site will help me get a pretty nice luepold. I was just wondering as I seen some nice burris on there, if you believe that a burris and a 20 or 30 moa mount would get me out there and hold a nice zero. I know the glass quality wouldn't be up to par with other brands.

Burris Glass

Dont discount Burris glass, IMHO Burris glass is quite nice. The only knock I have on Burris is their range of adjustment, but from what I understand this is due to them using larger internals. Run some ballistic tables on the 308 and research the Burris and see how much slant you would need on the base.

Rob

There is a dealer on one of the forums selling the new Sightron 8 X 32 for $750. This a fantastic scope at a great price. I have one and love it. Some have said it is a good if not better than nightforce. Best deal out there.

I looked into the nikon and it has 50 moa adjustment, so if I pair it with a 25 moa base, that will get me out to 1000 with a couple left over. I know it ain't gonna be no luepy, but has anyone heard of any tracking promblems with the nikons? I definately don't mean to disregaurd your guys' post as I truely respect your expierence in this sport, its just I'm only working a little bit because of school and to save that much more would take some real time. When it comes time to get one I will look out for a luepy and burris first and hopfully I find a winner in one of those two, maybe on the classifieds or somewhere Thanks for all the help

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a burris Black Diamond on ebay

right now starting bid is 400. 8-32x50 fine duplex crosshair. Item number: 230289523344

Call John Hoover,814-684-5322, get his price on Leupold 8.5x25 Longrange.

20X-50X Leupold

I know where I can lay my hands on several of these at $1000 shipped. Great glass based on the Leupold LRT. PM me for details.

zach in ohio:

Zach: I know you said your budget was in the $350/$400 price range, but if you can "bump up" your price range by $100, you might consider the Leupold VX11 6-18x 40mm. I recently bought a 4-16x (brand name "N", but you guess the name), cost was $400, and the optical quality ( wrong word to use), was so poor, it was returned, added the $100 and got another quality Leupold. I've never been disappointed by Leupold, and I have 8 of them now.;)

In your price range a 24X Sightron or a 24X Weaver. I think these scopes are very good, don't buy anything in between. go from there to a LR Leopold or to a NF. I shoot a 12 X 42 NF and a 36 Weaver for 600 yd Benchrest. A 36 will be too much hunting. The scope is the heart of the rig, put as much as you can in to it.

Mark Schronce

Back