Which Gradient Bore Scope Kit from Brownells?

M

Matt in Va

Gentlemen,
I know I've asked for input on bore scopes before, however, I really need your specific input asap. I have a 20% discount over our cost and I don't want to buy the wrong unit. To be used for to inspect reamer performance, barrel finish/imperfections, and bore wear. Your qualified input would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=bore+scope/t=P/ksubmit=y/Products/All/search=bore_scope

Thank you, Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia
757-581-6270

You might want to check eBay. I was in no rush to buy one and after checking over a couple of months I got a brand new one for much less. If you do not use eBay my recommendation is never buy from a seller that has anything under 99% customer satisfaction.

Chip

A number of years ago I was given three medical scopes made by American Cystoscope Corp. their about 15" long, and only .125 " i dia. so they will go down a .17 cal. they need no mirrors or other attachments, and only need a 3 volt source. I got them from a surgeon friend as they are now obsolete with the new firbre optects. You may want to check with your doctor, or local hospital as they may have one in storage. The man who gave me mine was at my home looking through some of my precision shooting magazines, and one had Homer Culver on the cover looking down the barrel with a medical scope. Thats where I first saw one. May be worth a try, and save you some money.

I wouldn't get the fixed focus one. I use the focus feature on the one I have here every time I change calibers.

Fitch

If you have the budget for the 90 degree adapter, now is the time to buy the adapter from Bruno's at a considerable savings when everything is purchased new at the same time.

You will use the 90 degree adapter to look at your chamber work while your barrel is still set up on the lathe.

Hawkeye with 90 degree eyepiece and metal case. You are only going to buy it once. I got mine from Bruno's about 4 or 5 years ago and have never been sorry.

Don Carper

I bought the Hawkeye from the family of John Higens. It was stolen out of my Trailblazer at the Waco Gun Club a month later. Was great while I had it.

Gentlemen,
I would like to thank everyone for their input. It has been invaluable.

Best Regards, Matt Garrett
Chesapeake, Virginia

how hard is it to change the focus on the standard optic or base unit. I understand that the higher end unit has an external focus adjustment, but is it worth the extra money? Lee

Whichever one you get, make sure you use it only on clean, dry barrels. Solvent & dirt do not play well with the mirrors on these!

I have the adjustable focus Hawkeye. The higher powered light source is not needed IMHO. An adapter for a digital camera can be made if you have any machining skills, but you can also buy one.

Regards, Ron

Gentlemen,
After much thought I choose the Pro SuperSlim 17" with a diameter of .110". It comes with the following:

Hawkeye Pro Precision Borescope
Hawkeye Mirror Tube
Hawkeye Shipping Sheath
Hawkeye SuperNOVA Light and Charger
Rugged Aluminum Hawkeye Pro Carrying Case
Hawkeye Cleaning Kit

I choose to go this route due to glass/lens quality, SuperNOVA light source, and the ability to focus. I must admit I am considering the 22" Pro Slim, not available from Brownells, for the extra length. Dunno as it is necessary...(?)

Regards, Matt Garrett.
Chesapeake, Virginia

Matt,
I found the Supernova light to be too bright & it produced glare. The standard one is what I prefer.
Regards,
Ron

Matt,

You have gotten good advice from all the respondents but I want to comment specifically on the value of the SuperNova light. The standard MagLight light source (two AA batteries and krypton bulb) isn't bright enough even with new batteries. But you can replace it with a two or three AA cell LED MagLight available at big box stores for about $30. The adapter supplied in the basic Hawkeye kit will screw right on new LED light. These inexpensive lights are not as bright as the SuperNova but are a small fraction of the price and have the advantage of smaller size and much less weight hanging off the side of the instrument. I find these little LED MagLights to be plenty bright, even for my tired old eyes. Ditto on keeping the mirror free of solvent or oil.

Greg

There are a bunch of "Medical Scopes" on Ebay for under $200. Most 5mm...........

but can you just imagine where they have been! I wouldn't use one to stir the coffee!!!!!!

I would buy one if i thought it would work. I dont drink coffee so no worries there. LOL!! Actually i have always felt that there should be a scope in the 350$ area just for us non gunsmith type. All i really want to see it the throat area and maybe a few inches farther down. I think a 350$ scope would sell off the shelf if it worked properly? Maybe not??

Thats what I thought. I bought the HS17 SHOT 17" Kit/No Eyepiece from Brunos for $716.73 including S&H. The person I spoke with at Brunos stated this was the most popular model they sold and they were having a hard time keeping them in stock.

LE Hanson

The medical scope has the advantage that it look's down at a 15 degree angle That cut's down on glare. It need's no mirror, or other attachment's. As for guality, the instrument must be sterilized after evey use, I doubt if a hawkeye would stand up to that. As for an Ebay price! I would like to know what that medical scope cost new.

Back