Where to get Hodgdon H4198 powder for 30BR Benchrest ammo

MkGram

MkGram
I have found this powder online from SportsmansGunshop.com but believe it is a scam. Is there anywhere online that it is available?

H-4198

You may have better luck finding the lost Dutchman mine get some LT-30 it will work just fine and can be had from several. Vendors Brownell's has it on sale right now 1# for 24.99 no limit
Ron

N-130 is also a good alternative

With LT-30 and N-130 offering reasonable availability and success, I don't anticipate ever going back to H-4198 even if it ever makes a reappearance.

YA JUST NEED TO KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN( computer links to known sources)
i have both and shoot both depending on temp ( lt30 and 4198)

H4198 has been one of the harder ones to find, for sure. It's proven hard to beat in a 30BR. You've got options but finding 4198 may be your best bet for now and later, so stock up if you can. A faster lot of 4198 would be hitting the lottery

Yes

I have found this powder online from SportsmansGunshop.com but believe it is a scam. Is there anywhere online that it is available?

any website that wants you to pay with zelle or bitcoins, etc. or will not accept a credit card is to be avoided like the PLAGUE! Most of these sites will also let you buy 50 or 100,000$ worth of hard to get products, another give away.

You may have better luck finding the lost Dutchman mine get some LT-30 it will work just fine and can be had from several. Vendors Brownell's has it on sale right now 1# for 24.99 no limit
Ron

“Thanks, I did get some and will try it out. I’m not very experienced so won’t know the difference.”

There is no new production H4198 available in the United States at this time. With the changes in overseas shipping requirements, it's may be some time before we see it again.

For anyone starting out with the 30BR, or finding themselves with a dwindling supply of H4198, I'd encourage them to go right to LT30 and get to it. :cool:

Good shootin' :) -Al

H4198

Just looked at my spreadsheet and see that the last time I bought H4198 it was $165.99 for an 8 lb. jug. Spreadsheet shows I have 2.5 jugs, but I better check that out.

I have shot H4198 for decades and my best loads are with this powder. I get .3 and change with my heavy varmint rifle. I made up some IMR loads for testing. Hope I get close to where it was before.
My accuracy level might not show a difference.

Mort

I have shot H4198 for decades and my best loads are with this powder. I get .3 and change with my heavy varmint rifle. I made up some IMR loads for testing. Hope I get close to where it was before.
My accuracy level might not show a difference.

Mort

Mort, the accuracy with IMR is there in the 30BR. But it's miserable to work with due to being longer. And because of that, you can't get as much in the case as most want to run for velocity. In the 30BR, H322 is a killer powder if you're willing to give up about 125 fps. And don't overlook the original 30BR powder....Accurate 1680.

Hope all is well with 'ya. :) -Al

Mort, the accuracy with IMR is there in the 30BR. But it's miserable to work with due to being longer. And because of that, you can't get as much in the case as most want to run for velocity. In the 30BR, H322 is a killer powder if you're willing to give up about 125 fps. And don't overlook the original 30BR powder....Accurate 1680.

Hope all is well with 'ya. :) -Al

Thanks Al
You answered my question.
That stuff (IMR) is really crunchy going thru my powder measure.

Going out to the ranch this Sunday. The owner wants to join me. Could be slim pickens this late in the year. It still isn't hot here so we have a chance.

Mort

Back