what rest

T

tate

Have another newbie question for yahs.What is a good rest to use

Tate ...

Better specify your price range. There's a broad spectrum to select from.

You may also want to state your primary purpose. Most of the posters here are shooting shortrange 100-300yd benchrest group and score. Very specialized pieces of equipment, and your needs will dictate the type of rest recommended.
Mike

The rest will be used for 100 yard bench rest,an the price well as long as its good quality around 500 or under.thanks again

Squeezin or Shiftin?

tate,
If you're planning on doing your adjusting with the front rest,the Farley is the way to go (about 750) .If you are planning on doing your adjusting with the rear bag, any solid front rest will do( Hart,Sinclair,Bald Eagle,etc)under 500.
If you're just starting out,there are lots of deals on used fixed position front rest,(couple hundred bucks).get the right rear bag and you are on your way to BR heaven. shoot that way for a while( get your chops down) and later,if you feel the need you can cash out and upgrade ? to the Farley.
Joel
P.S. I shoot em both.

Tate ...

You might take a look at ... the Cowan Front Rest. Here is Joe Cowan's email address: jcowan1@aasdcat.com. A few of us at the Austin Rifle Club have Joe's rest and find it to be extremely stable and a great value; $210.00 includes shipping. Joe's also a nice person to deal with. The picture in this attachment shows the rest in Red. It's actually gold, silver, and black and does not include the Sinclair speed screw shown.

The windage-adjustable front rest is made in the machine shop at the Altoona Area High School Career and Technology Center. Many shooters call it the 'Cowan Rest'. Joe Cowan is the instructor for the Altoona HS program. These excellent tripod rests have been sold world-wide, with all proceeds going back to the students. This program and what the students have done with some of the money is worth a story by itself. The Cowen Rest ia a very nice design--stable and easy to adjust, and you know your money will be going into a worthy endeavor. Since Joe's rest is so popular you may have to wait awhile for delivery once ordered.

Attachments

• Cowan Front Rest.jpg
    Cowan Front Rest.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 395
Just...

get one of these. A little more than $500, but, oh so worth it.

...Dave

Attachments

• Small F&R bags.jpg
    Small F&R bags.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 423
I have the Caldwell Fire control and for what I use it for, generally 300 and under, have no issues...except the factory top that came with it. Not that it wouldn't work for longer distances...just haven't tried it yet.

I bought and slightly modified the Sinclair RT-3 top to attach to the fire control, works great.

If you are just using the rest for 100 yd matches and don't need to move the crosshairs to other targets, then the ones mentioned are the way to go, especially the Cowen.

But I really like this setup, very stable and alot cheaper than the Farley..and I know.....before I get torched :D the two don't compare but the Caldwell is a decent rest for the $$$.

Rest with the RT-3 attached, all for about $250.

DSC_596800053216977.jpg

I know...not a Lexus (Farley), but sometimes a Ford (Caldwell) will do fine....

I have the Caldwell Fire control and for what I use it for, generally 300 and under, have no issues...except the factory top that came with it. Not that it wouldn't work for longer distances...just haven't tried it yet.

I bought and slightly modified the Sinclair RT-3 top to attach to the fire control, works great.

If you are just using the rest for 100 yd matches and don't need to move the crosshairs to other targets, then the ones mentioned are the way to go, especially the Cowen.

But I really like this setup, very stable and alot cheaper than the Farley..and I know.....before I get torched :D the two don't compare but the Caldwell is a decent rest for the $$$.

I have the same rest and use it for Hunter Benchrest. Allows one to quickly move from target to target in short order. Works great. I did substitute the Sinclair synthetic condura bag for $12 to replace the factory furnished one. The Sinclair bag is more rugged and slicker.

virg

Back