What brass neck wall thickness for .269 chamber?

R

Russell B

Gentlemen,

I'm having two barrels rechambered from .262 neck to .269 and would like to know what neck thickness to trim my brass to. I'm talking 6ppc. of course.

Thanks, Russell B

Don't get hung up on neck wall thickness. Set your mind to thinking overall diameter. Seat the bullet you are going to use, then measure that. The Rubber To The Road deal is what the finished product measures.

Most BR shooters stay in the 0.002" total clearance rule. That will work best especially for starters.

Like Pumpkie says, don't complicate things. BTW, the Pumpkie makes a great neck turning tool! (Don Neilson-the Pumpkie Doodle)

neck thickness?

Russell: Sounds like you're doing what I have planned for my 6ppc when I re-barrel: going to a tight, no-turn, or minimal outside neck turning diameter. With a .269" chamber neck, and a loaded round neck diameter of .267"(?), seems to me ( .267" - .243" = .024" divided by 2 = .012" neck wall thickness). With my .262" chamber neck, I'm turning my Lapua to .0085" for a loaded neck diameter of .260": seems like a waste to see that pile of curley-cues of brass cuttings laying on the bench. My next chamber will probably be a .272" neck, for minimal, or no-turn necks. I have 2 6BRs' w/ .265" necks, and another w/ a .272" no-turn neck, and the .272" will group right along-side the .265"s'.

Depends on the Bullet

The current crop of popular Benchrest Bullets can vary in size from a flat .2430 to as big as .2437.

I always try to shoot for .0015 overall clearance when measuring the loaded round at it's largest point. On typical flatbase bullets, this will be where the base ends up in the neck.

Bruno Boattails have no "gas ring", and will measure about as close to a flat .2430 as you can measure when checked at the junction of the boattail and the shank. Using this bullet, if you want .0015 clearance in the neck, then the wall thickness should be .0123.

Most Flat Base bullets, and the Barts Boattail, do exibit a "gas ring". you should take an extra .0002 from the wall thickness to compensate.

These numbers are very difficult to measure, that is why you should do what Jerry says and measure the loaded round. Keep in mind, when using the wall thickness method, any error is doubled in the finished product. Sure, you might sacrifice a couple of cases getting it dead on by seating and pulling bullets, but once set, the neck turner will stay there, unless you do something to cause it to move, (like drop it).

I have measured various cases from various shooters, and most are not working near as close as they think. We tend to be rather non-chalant in tossing that "tenths" thing around. The fact is, many can't even use a set of Micrometers well enough to consistantly measure at that level.

Don, I can answer your question. Russel was not heavilly invested in the .262, (just one barrel and a bushing), so he decided to go with the .269, mainly for ease in turning........jackie

Last edited:
(chamber diameter - ACTUAL bullet diameter - (desired clearance*2))/2 = neck wall thickness

Back