What ammo?

T

tsigmon

I just found this forum and hope I can get some help here. I am not a bench rest shooter and don't really aspire to be one, I don't have the patients . My sons are on a high school air rifle team shooting 3-P and are moderately successful. This team use to shoot .22 rimfire but changed over to air rifle many years ago so they had surplus target rifles for sale and I bought several , A few Rem. 540 XRT's , a Savage-Anschutz and a Walther. I was also able to buy two bricks of ammunition marked " Federal Target, .22 Long Rifle Standard Velovity, 40 Grain Solid" The only number I could find was 714. I was told that if we used only the lower velocity rounds these guns would last a very long time, maybe not competively accurate but very accurate for the type of shooting we do at home. I have looked at the Federal web site and don't find this ammo listed. What is comparable to what I have on hand and should I stick to this type ammo or would the cheap bulk packs be ok and not harm these barrels? Thanks for any help

Tim

Tim, you can shoot less expensive ammo in your rifle, just make sure it is standard velocity or, what is labeled as "target" ammo. You want to stay in the mid 1000fps zone or slower and always with lead bullets, not plated bullets. The ammo that you have is going to be good ammo. With the types of rifles that you have you will probably find great success with Wolf Target ammo. www.champchoice.com is going to be your best bet for pricing on this ammo. With rimfire you have to pay to play at the accuracy game. That typically means more expensive ammo that is held to a higher quality control standard.

Good luck!
Isaac

Some of the young shooters in our area who are shooting on the state level are doing well with Eley Sport. Not expensive as target ammo goes, but it seems to perform well.

I am about half way through a case of Wolf ME and have found that while it will group reasonably well at 100 yds, I will encounter 2 or 3 rounds out of a box that will unexplicably drop about 1-1/2" below that group. I have not seen that problem with Lapua Center-X (at $3 more per box). Rather frustrating.

Last edited:
Back