Watching flags

tiny68

I made to shoot 3 matches this year. Unfortunately very little practice in between. At my last match, some one ask me which flag I paid the most attention to, I told them I watch them all the same. They said "hows that work for you?". Apparently that wasn't the right answer.

Do you watch the flag closest to your rifle the most, or the one with the most moment, or what? Apparently I still have a lot to learn.

Thanks for any tips for a rookie, Tim

Last edited:
How are you sure

I made to shoot 3 matches this year. Unfortunately very little practice in between. At my last match, some one ask me which flag I paid the most attention to, I told them I watch them all the same. They said "hows that work for you?". Apparently that wasn't the right answer.

Do you watch the flag closest to your rifle the most, or the one with the most moment, or what? Apparently I still have a lot to learn.

Thanks for any tips from a rookie, Tim

it wasn't the right answer? Chances are, you will do better watching all of them than trying to figure out which one or ones are the ones to watch. I've been shooting competative Benchrest 12 years or so and I must say, Flags reain a mystery much of the time.

I watch them all, including my neighbor's flags. I pay particular attention to the ones Closest to the Prevailing Wind.

Now, try to remember the position of the flags and the placement of the bullet on each shot. This isn't a game for one with Alzheimer's Disease.
Yes...! Now what was I doing in this room............................!:eek::rolleyes:

Also, keep an eye on the flags to your right and left as they can show you a change in direction or intensity before your flags react.

Gads, I'm smart. Why don't I listen to myself?

Me too Francis..........!:confused::rolleyes:

Tim, the practice part is honestly "where it's at"................. Now again,
Gads, I'm smart. Why don't I listen to myself?

Me too........

I am pretty new and my first set of flags are on there way. Do you watch your flags in the scope or do you look over the rifle or side of the rifle? Do you shoot with both eyes open? Whats the proper procedure. Really!! I would love to hear some solid info on this subject. Thanks Lee

I don't think there is any one or right answer. You have to know the range, and the only way you can learn it is by shooting on it. You're looking for two things.

The first is what gives consistency. If the flags are pointing in a certain direction & the tails about the same level, and all shots fired in this pattern group well, you have something. When I started shooting, it was club matches at a local range. We shot every month. In time, you learn. I used 3 flags at 100 yards. When the last two were pointing basically left to right -- say, pointing at 8 o'clock, and the closest flag was pointing mainly right to left, say, pointing at 4 o'clock (tails about the same height), you could shoot a good group, just about every time. At that range, that was a good condition, month after month. Other ranges will differ.

The second thing you look for is "how often" a condition occurs. I remember a 300 yard match at Charlotte, where I just couldn't get bullets shot in the right to left pattern to print the same. But the left to right was pie; I could shoot real small. Problem was, the left-to-right pattern wasn't there very often. What to do? Since I couldn't figure out the common condition (right to left), I shot the far less frequent left to right. I did win HV that day. But you could argue that was stupid, if I could only have figured out the R-L condition -- as others did -- I'd have had a better 4-gun.

FWIW

wind flags

I have hairy arms so that is my primary indicator then on down the line and side to side for what coming next. However at tomball texas one 4th of july, it dead still and raining, but there was a big variance down range,? I was on table 1 on the left and close to the tree line border , and noticed a leaf turn at 150 yards or so, seems there was gap in the trees about there. Well i did very well the rest of the match....speedy was there i know he remembers 1990..and that old black gun in the rain......cuz......

Last edited by a moderator:
Wind flags are good for two things

First, which is within the vein of this thread, they show you which direction the wind is blowing. Secondly, they tell you whether or not you've got a chance of winning. If you are watching flags closely and a shoot a "three", you may as well head home if winning is why you came. Nobody...wait, I didn't say that right...NOBODY, gets it right every shot and the rifle has to take care of itself. If it won't, go home and get one that will.

Conversely...

Paul Wolfe had a philosophical side that seldom surfaced and was easy to miss. He was shooting poorly with a known hummer and said - "All I see out there is a bunch of wind flags."

Last edited:
Consistency and a rifle that will

take care of its self. I saw both these in the above posts. Both these must be given great importance. Consistency, one must be able to see some
" condition" that is repeatable and recognizable as indicated by the flags.
A gun that is really " hummin', it either is or it ain't. If it ain't you will not win, period. The hard part for me was to know when I achieved or lacked one or the other.

Vita est brevis
jerrold

Back