vz24 brno mauser (pre-war) .222 benchrest rig

404tbang

I realize that top level benchrest accuracy is probably unobtainable in a rifle such as this. However, as I understand it, the vz24 is one of the best of the Mausers, presumably a pre-war version without the necesary haste in manufacturing would mean it would be even better.

I saw one with a MASSIVE, such as possibly a 1.2 inch without taper diameter barrel on it in an older type benchrest stock. The barrel looked pristine. Unknown who the maker was. Caliber was .222 Remington. As I understand it this is a great little cartridge capable of fine accuracy and reasonably inexpensive to shoot.

What kind of accuracy is such a rifle capable of? The work seems to be well done. I was actually more interested in the scope. But then it seemed that this might be a reasonable way to get my feet wet in actual benchrest shooting without immediatly breaking the already broken bank.

Any input from anybody is more than welcome!

Thanks,
Greg

Knowing how it will shoot, is not unlike reading a letter in and unopened envelope. With any luck at all, you can have a lot of fun with a rifle like that.

Rifles like that were not laugh off the range until the 1970's. While the rifle isn't going to win any wood, that does not mean you can't have a lot of fun.

As to the 222 giving up anything in accuracy its a fallacy. Mabe at 200 yards. But if I remember correctly the smallest 5 shot group ever recorded, .009" was shot with a 222. Sometimes called a tripple duce or just a duce. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Donald

Greg,
A couple of points if I may. You will have to bush the bolt face to reduce it to fit the .222 case head. You can soft solder the bushing in if you don't use too much heat. It wouldn't hurt to use some heat paste on the lugs anyway. The extractor may actually work "as is". It did for me on a .223 build. Center up a case head and check to see if you have engagement before you start. You'd best make it a single shot given that all the above things work. I tried to make mine feed out of the magazine but I never got it to work anywhere near reliably. It still shot good though!

Shoot what you have and enjoy it. You will get a bunch of suggestions on how to "fix" what you have, just enjoy what you have unless it does not shoot then decide if you want to start with something else or work on what you have.

Thank you all!

Thank you all very much for the information. See, I was kinda pickled, I wanted to buy the rifle more for the scope than the rifle itself. Then I got to thinking about it and it seemed like I could have a bunch of fun with that Mauser. So I thought I would run it past the pros (y'all) and see what capabilities it might have, problems that might need to be addressed etc. The people on this website are so very knowledgable and helpful. You freely and willingly and helpfully pass on wisdom to others and I sincerely appreciate it.

Today at lunch I called the store that had the rifle, after spending a day and a half trying to figure out how to buy it. They told me that it sold yesterday. You know, I was actually relieved. I laughed and told the store owner thank you for getting rid of the temptation for me as I was pretty much broke anyhow. He laughed too, said I was welcome. The last couple of years have been a struggle financially. My industry has been hammered as have those of many, many people. The funny thing is, it makes you focus on the things that really matter. I used to take a bit too much pride in some valuable, interesting and highly collectible rifles that I used to have. I have been knocked down a few pegs. I would think that from God's perspective, I needed to be knocked down a few pegs. I think I was getting a bit too materialistic. I am blessed, I still have a job, family and friends. And I still have some interesting stuff left, just nowhere near as much. The embarrassing thing is I have some stuff that I am yet to get the time to shoot.

MRL, the simple statement "shoot what you have and enjoy it", is full of practicle wisdom. Thanks for a simple, but powerful truth. I do not want to go back down the road of aquiring "stuff" when I don't need it again.

You can learn about a lot more than rifles on this website, thanks guys!
Greg

One day I was looking through "Richard's Microfit Stocks" website and saw a bench rifle stock for Yugo mauser in the bargain bin for $50. I ordered it and an Adams and Bennet barrel blank. I built a nice bench gun, left the barrel 1.260 full length. Chambered it for .243. It weighed about 16 lbs and looked very impressive. No recoil to speak of. Nice gun. It would be good for hunting large game from a blind so long as you didn't want to shoot too far. I tweaked it and tweaked it and barely got it to shoot under 2". A guy saw it and had to have it. I sold it to him for what I had in it, which wasn't much. He was an optimist. Mauser for a hunting rifle? Yes. For a benchgun? No. (I know, the barrel was a POS).

I think i am the one

I belive i am the one who bought the gun over the weekend. I was in the same boat moneywise but always looking for something new
to try. I had recently sold an old fecker target scope and thought i would try to find something fun without breaking the
bank. The rifle is a brno action. The barrel is umarked as to the
maker. The scope is a bausch & lomb balvar 24. I have not had time
to really check the entire gun out. I decided to optimistic and
ordered a benchrest follower to replace the homemade job in the
gun. My quick look has not revealed any other obvious problems
but who knows. When i get time to go thru it more i will post my
findings and hopefully the results of test firing.

Good Deal!

Howdy nearmiss! I sincerely hope that you enjoy that rifle! I don't know what John or Charles told you about the vz24, but, as I understand it, that is supposed to be one of the best of the Mausers. John mentioned the vz24 in the same breath as Swedish Mausers. I know a bit about Swedes. I am convinced that they are the most accurate Mausers ever made. If that vz24 is made to that quality, it should be a shooter, provided that the barrel is good, and I see no reason why it would have a problem.

I asked the questions about it and the scope on this website because these guys absolutely are the tops on info, and the willingness to share and help. Use the search function on .222 Remington and you will find MUCH good info on this site. I actually have a Balvar 24. I really like it. I had a seperate thread about getting the black flecks of stuff cleaned out, these folks gave good info. I literally paid more for my Balvar 2 years ago than the whole package was over the weekend. You did extremely well!

Again, enjoy that rifle! And, please, do get back with how the rifle shoots. I hope it's great!

Take care,
Greg:)

222 Rem

I think you might want to consider what you'll do with the rifle once you get it.
If you have local gun club matches where you can compete, that rifle will serve you. If you want to shoot it often to see how accurately it performs, fine. But, I think the dilemma here is buying it, shooting it a lot initially, then having it become a safe queen might be worth considering.
It was king of the hill, a long time ago, and the 6mm PPC has displaced the 222, and the 6x47 as well.
I think it's really too heavy for groundhog hunting, although that is one use for the rifle. It's a tough call, and depending on price, it might be worth buying. You're right, the BRNO VZ 24's are amoung the best Mauser actions available.
I currently have two old Rem 722's in 222 Rem. Although they are 50+ years old, both deliver three shot groups in the .2's and .3's, with a 20 scope.
In 1970, I had a Clyde Hart rifle built in 222 for benchrest shooting, and it was extremely accurate then. But, as soon as the 6PPC's hit the scene, I sold the 222 and a 6x47 I had.

Back