Vintage Varmint Rig Finished...

DSM

Chuck
Here is my vintage rig that I finished putting together. 700 BDL, 22/250 with a Unertl 15x Ultra Varmint on top. I pillar bedded and floated the barrel and bedded the trigger guard. Doesn't shoot half bad either. Just loaded up a few 52gr Bergers with some Varget and new Lapua brass. Headspacing is about .006 on new cases. Once I crown the barrel and load up some first fired cases, it should shoot decent considering a factory Remington!

vintage1.JPG

vintage2.JPG

vintage3.JPG

vintage4.JPG

vintage

DSM -

Howdy !

" ..Set the Way-Back Machine, Sherman... "

This woulda been a "left-nut" rig, 35yr ago !

Regards,
357Mag

Big fan of this set-up also, nice work
40x 22lr 15x unertl programmer
40x 22-250 20x unertl programmer
40x 7.62-51 20x unertl programmer
d00caa21.jpg

Very nice collection! I used to have a nice 40x with a 12x Lyman Super Targetspot scope. I wish I hadn't traded it!

ya, I dont think they are any better than what you build, prob not even by 1/2 as much but they are fun. The 22, without much work (trying 3 different round types Winchester super x/CCI and Elgy (sp?)) I was able to keep it 0.5" or under at 100. I dunno if this is good, great or whatever, probably could tighten it up more with different loads but it is good enough for me. Probably will switch off the scope for some redfield sights next. The 7.62, I am still working on, some groups under 0.4" but really holding about that, still get some randome 0.6 groups etc. I am still working up loads. The 22-250 is by far one of my most accurate rifles. My best group (stars aligned, wind blowing just right, random luck etc. was 0.082) all groups mention are 5 shot. This was luck, I am sure. It does shoot in the 0.1-0.2's, if i shoot above 0.25 I had a bad day. (I wont even bother telling you that I shoot off of bags as you probably already dont believe me!) I love this site for reading about accuracy tips, there is no way I could ever roll with the big boys here but I do love my 'vintage' rigs and they are just plain fun to look at and shoot. Good luck with yours! (btw my 22-250 load is H380 38gr, COL 2.4", case 1.88", 40g Sierra bltzking if u need a place to start) usual disclamers apply

Plastikosmd: I also have a Remington 40X Rangemaster in caliber 22-250 Remington.
I also had some "good alignment" a while back and shot 5 rounds into .182" at 100 yards.
I shoot Varmint bullets in mine and it has a Leupold 6.5x20 variable scope on it. Mine is the single shot model with safety.
I normally just shoot it anymore at long range Colony Varmints.
I have a number of Remington 40X's in various models of both centerfire and rimfire and am happy with all of them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Nice! Same thing single w a safety. Shot the 22lr last weekend. Removed scope since I have settled on ammo. Eley black box/ green label. W scope 10 rounds were well under 1" at 100. Dunno if that is good or great but out of the 5 types I tried they were the best. Put the redfield palma rear on and my new Womack front sight. Put it out at 50 and first was 2 ft low. Over 5 shots I clicked it up to the bull and shot 5. Walked down range and it put 5 in 0.235". Don't know how that measures up but good enough for me with sights

I have a 22-250, but it is more of a safe queen these days. On the other hand, a friend puts his to good use, and here are a couple of things that have helped his. We looked at the SAAMI chamber specs., for chamber and ammunition, and discovered that what we were seeing with our calipers (excessive difference between sized and fired shoulder diameters) was built in to the specs. There was also the desire for straighter ammo, so he ordered a custom die from Hornady, one piece with a neck diameter such that with the expander in place there was .001 less neck tension than without, and minimal clearance between sized case bodies and the chamber. The sized cases are very straight, and case growth is reduced significantly. After that he decided that the differences that he was feeling when seating bullets needed to be addressed and bought a Hornady annealing kit. As part of that effort, and at my suggestion, he purchased an inexpensive battery powered metronome to audibly count off the seconds, so that he would not have to try to watch two things at once while annealing cases. The whole setup worked well, and after he had annealed his .223 and .22-250 the seating efforts were much more uniform, and the accuracy was improved. You have a fine looking rifle, and I hope that you do not mind me sharing this information.

wow, i dont even understand the words that are comin out of your mouth! I gotta read more! I have noticed that with my loads, after 4 shots or so the brass is a bit fatigued with a parting line near the base. No bulge but I still toss them out. I tried just neck sizing but was not bumping the shoulder back enough and ran into some chambering issues. The may be running a bit hot but 38 gr of H380 seems pretty standard. I also get great acccuracy so if it costs me some brass, so be it

I have the twin to the rifle, although mine is a little more modern looking though since it wears a 6.5-20x40 Leupold. It dotes on 35.9 grs or H4895 / Nosler 50 gr Ballistic Tip / which is giving 3820 fps out of my rifle, this is a relatively low pressure load but is very accurate, 5 shot groups are running right around 1/2 inch. Like the rifle that Boyd mentions mine also has a chamber that is at the upper end of the SAAMI specs but with this load, and neck-sizing until chambering the cartridge has too much resistance, I am getting 8 to 10 loadings before I toss the brass.

I would qualify the accuracy of mine by pointing out that the action is bedded and the trigger is set at one and one-half lbs. While the groups are not near bench rest standards they are certainly more than adequate for the varmint field, and with an acceptable brass life.

Thanks, to all - I have enjoyed this thread.

drover

Last edited:
drover...I have been working with 4064, Varget and H380. So far, H380 looks promising. I have some 4895 and may give that a try.

Back