VFS Nationals Greely CO .... Give me 1 tip

P1ZombieKiller

http://www.P1ZK.com
For those that have been to an NBRSA VFS Nationals, what would be 1 tip that you would give a first timer?

I am looking for every aspect of tips. like:

1. bring sunblock
2. don't forget your ammo
3. make sure to stop by xxxx and try their apple pie
4. get there xx days early to get adjusted to the altitude....

I am looking for the whole gambit of advice.

stop at Johnson's corners for cinamon rolls
is on 25 north.
lack of oxygen should not be a big deal for a trigger puller

I have been twice, my best tip is to get ready to shoot in some very windy conditions.

Also, get on a Flag Rotation that has flags with which you are familiar. I have a flag rotation, The flags are just like the ones I use all the time.

The range is not at Greeley. The closet town with a decent hotel is Eaton. The best place to stay is the Cobblestone Inn in Eaton, which is as close to the range as you can get.

Last edited:
For those that have been to an NBRSA VFS Nationals, what would be 1 tip that you would give a first timer?

I am looking for every aspect of tips. like:

1. bring sunblock
2. don't forget your ammo
3. make sure to stop by xxxx and try their apple pie
4. get there xx days early to get adjusted to the altitude....

I am looking for the whole gambit of advice.

Flags you have to pound in get broken in the hard, dry soil. If you have those, bring a drill and bit to pre-drill holes to save your stands.

Drink plenty of water. The humidity is usually quite low and you can get dehydrated without even trying.

The temperature swings are dramatic.

The calmest conditions are usually early in the day.

Wind is out of the north a lot and can bounce between the left and right berms giving you a windshield wiper effect on your flags. Try to practice in that beforehand, it may be all you get in the match.

The weather can do about anything at anytime. Bring mud shoes and rain gear.

Good luck!

Greeley is the closest large city to the range, 20 miles southwest of the range. Ft Collins is 25 miles west. The range is located east of Eaton. Prepare for it the same as any match except you rotate each record target with 3 relays. The temps range from 85 to low 100’s; 4500 to 5100 ft altitude. The weather is a flip of a coin: hot and dry or thunderstorms and wind; we’re on the plains.
The flags are 3 sets of single vanes with daisies and one set of doubles. We have all the major restaurants and motels within 30 miles. There is a lot of camping space with limited electric on first come basis. Campers, if you have a generator bring it.
If you have shot in club matches it’s the same just bigger.
We are having a Score match on May 2&3 . Short range Score Nationals is Aug 4-7; come on out to Colorado and join us.
Registration forms for nationals is on the NBRSA website.
Dean Thomas
Northern Colorado Benchrest Shooters

Back