VFS gun weight limits?

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
In trying to get the best scope rings for the used 30BR gun I bought I'm running into some questions I can't answer.

Is there a weight limit for guns used in score shooting? The NBRSA rules that I read on-line say that all varmint guns shoot in one class. This seems to imply that so long as I don't exceed the limit for a HV gun that I'll be okay. This gun with the combo rings, Leupold 45X Competition scope with the lens caps removed weighs 10 lbs 6.48 oz. Now this is on a digital package scale I bought from Northern Tool for $39.99. The closest thing to calibrated weights I have is a set of NRA trigger weights that total 4 1/2 lbs. And they show the scale weighing a tad light.

So, 4 screw rings would increase the weight even more. Maybe all this doesn't matter as I'm doing all this shooting for fun anyway. But, should lightning strike and I win something substantial I'd like to be legal.

Thoughts anyone?

You're right.....

In trying to get the best scope rings for the used 30BR gun I bought I'm running into some questions I can't answer.

Is there a weight limit for guns used in score shooting? The NBRSA rules that I read on-line say that all varmint guns shoot in one class. This seems to imply that so long as I don't exceed the limit for a HV gun that I'll be okay. This gun with the combo rings, Leupold 45X Competition scope with the lens caps removed weighs 10 lbs 6.48 oz. Now this is on a digital package scale I bought from Northern Tool for $39.99. The closest thing to calibrated weights I have is a set of NRA trigger weights that total 4 1/2 lbs. And they show the scale weighing a tad light.

So, 4 screw rings would increase the weight even more. Maybe all this doesn't matter as I'm doing all this shooting for fun anyway. But, should lightning strike and I win something substantial I'd like to be legal.

Thoughts anyone?

You're right in your assumption that HV (13.5lb) rifles, are legal in VFS. That's the way it stands now and I don't see this changing. I love this rule since it allows a lot more players in VFS.

Virg

You're right in your assumption that HV (13.5lb) rifles, are legal in VFS. That's the way it stands now and I don't see this changing. I love this rule since it allows a lot more players in VFS.

Virg

Thanks Virg. Now let me rephrase your statement. If I have a gun that is slightly overweight as a LV it becomes a grossly underweight HV gun which is also legal. You're right, that's a lovely rule. So, onto 4 screw rings.

3 lbs is a lot to leave on the table...

I agree, but this gun is ready to shoot now. It might be a little pushy without that weight but I'm stout myself. My HV gun is a BAT action with a PPC boltface. If I like the score shooting enough I'll get the boltface opened up, a new extractor and a new barrel. Just got a new Bartlein .30 w/1-17 twist waiting in the wings. I've got a couple of new PPC barrels and I could put one of them on the current 30 BR if I use the HV as a new 30 BR. Lots of possibilities here.

I agree, but this gun is ready to shoot now. It might be a little pushy without that weight but I'm stout myself. My HV gun is a BAT action with a PPC boltface. If I like the score shooting enough I'll get the boltface opened up, a new extractor and a new barrel. Just got a new Bartlein .30 w/1-17 twist waiting in the wings. I've got a couple of new PPC barrels and I could put one of them on the current 30 BR if I use the HV as a new 30 BR. Lots of possibilities here.
My two cents are to buy some Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass(ppc boltface), neck it up and turn for a .330 chamber, get a set of dies, and shoot it in you hv Bat. It's simple, it works and is basically what Mike Stinnett shot the new world record small group with.---Mike Ezell

Thank you Mike

My two cents are to buy some Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass(ppc boltface), neck it up and turn for a .330 chamber, get a set of dies, and shoot it in you hv Bat. It's simple, it works and is basically what Mike Stinnett shot the new world record small group with.---Mike Ezell

that's an excellent thought. Guess I didn't consider anything else because I have 5 boxes of Lapua 6 BR brass now. But that would eliminate messing with the bolt of the Bat, which is a good thing.
Just checked on the 6.5 Grendel brass on Powder Valley and it is available even though it's a little pricey. But brass seems not as scarce as powder and bullets.

Last edited:
woow.
He was happy with this thread. Don't get it any messier........

Y'all in Texas VFS matches weigh rifles?

I've only shot in one club match so far and nobody had a scale. I've got some lead ingots and duct tape so I could add some weight to the stock.

The Alexander Arms brass is made by Lapua and is sometimes much less expensive.

The Alexander Arms web site says the brass they sell is made by Hornady and sells for $66.00 a hundred. The Lapua Grendel brass is $89.73 per hundred at Powder Valley. Read a couple of buyers comments on the brass on the AA web site. One negative was deformed case mouths and the other was that the flash holes were not the small ones as on the Lapua and 6 PPC brass. That's the .060 I think. I'm assuming that AA specd the flash hole size with Hornady but I'm curious as to why the Lapua would be different if they were first before Hornady. Oh well, another mystery of life.

Last edited:
Are you going to add weight to the stock?
Centerfire

Took me a bit to remember but the thought was clear when I woke up this morning. Shelley Davidson made his 30BR "Tinker Toy" so it would shoot in the LV class. I shot with him several times at Denton and the gun's recoil was moderate and the performance outstanding. So, I'm not going to worry about the weight until the guns performance tells me I should.

Perhaps the AA 6.5 Grendel brass is now made by Hornady. In the past, it was made by Lapua. For example, see http://www.precisionfirearms.com/29.html .

I went the same route, originally, because I had a PPC boltface. I now have BR boltface in that action and I'm still shooting a 30 Major even though I have two 30 BRs.

If you do, spend some time getting the right freebore/bullet and the right die/reamer matches and you'll be a very happy man.

Just push the pills faster than 2950 and slower than somewhere just under 3000 and you can't go wrong.

Last edited:
I didnt think it was made by lapua. seemed way off. only thing lapua makes that dont say lapua is NT stamped brass and SK rimfire ammo as far as I know. Nammo Tactical is the parent company and I use their 338LM brass

http://www.nammo.com/civilianproducts1/

I don't know when that change came, but the Alex-A stamped brass was indeed made by Lapua for Alexander Arms for several years. It was identical in every way to the Lapua brass but carried the AA headstamp. A quick google search will confirm this. AA contracted with Lapua for it's brass for the Grendel cartridge. I've had thousands of pieces of it.

I don't know when that change came, but the Alex-A stamped brass was indeed made by Lapua for Alexander Arms for several years. It was identical in every way to the Lapua brass but carried the AA headstamp. A quick google search will confirm this. AA contracted with Lapua for it's brass for the Grendel cartridge. I've had thousands of pieces of it.

Could be that the contract ran out with Lapua and the renewal was too expensive so AA went with Hornady. I mean, the Lapua cases are 50% higher than the Hornady to the retail customer.

Perhaps the AA 6.5 Grendel brass is now made by Hornady. In the past, it was made by Lapua. For example, see http://www.precisionfirearms.com/29.html .

I went the same route, originally, because I had a PPC boltface. I now have BR boltface in that action and I'm still shooting a 30 Major even though I have two 30 BRs.

If you do, spend some time getting the right freebore/bullet and the right die/reamer matches and you'll be a very happy man.

Just push the pills faster than 2950 and slower than somewhere just under 3000 and you can't go wrong.

Interesting, that's about the velocity range I was using when I was shooting 155s in my Palma rifle

It's the same as one of the nodes for the 30 BR, too. It's a wonderful place to be.

There are lower nodes, but few people use them.

Back