VARGET POWDER and THE 30-06 CARTRIDGE

C

Cherrywood

Does anyone have data using Varget powder for 30-06 cal. using a Sierra 168 gr hp match king?
I am trying to come up with a good starting powder wt using Varget powder for 100/200 yard competition. I have loading manuals that I can use but I would like a consensus of opinion as to what charge wt works well with that bullet? This is a Tikka rifle fitted with a Hart 22" bbl, 1/10" twist. I purchased Varget Powder recently at an unbelievable price. Never used this powder b4 and could use your experiences with it.
Hope I have made clear what I am looking for. Thanks.

Gunney

Varget is a great powder but, off the cuff, I would have thought a bit fast for your application. Anyone on this site will tell you that the "ideal" load is not only specific to a rifle but that it changes as with the weather and altitude. Sorry but you'll have to work at the range finding what works for your setup.

I believe Varget is the best powder to use in the .308; however I would not use it in a .30-06 because 4350 is much better for the .30-06. As Tom states it's just a little to fast for your application.

Varget is too fast for 165 gr bullets in 30-06. It will give you dangerously high pressures. I suggest, as John said, 4350 or even 4831 short cut as a much safer and just as accurate starting place.

I dont know any br loads for it, but I can tell you that the ammo that is issued at Camp Perry for the John C Garand Match is loaded with varget. 46.5 grains behind a hornady 168 amax loaded to mag length of 3.32. I have shot this load in my service garand and the same load with smk168's and they shoot quite well out of it and my springfield.

I dont know any br loads for it, but I can tell you that the ammo that is issued at Camp Perry for the John C Garand Match is loaded with varget. 46.5 grains behind a hornady 168 amax loaded to mag length of 3.32. I have shot this load in my service garand and the same load with smk168's and they shoot quite well out of it and my springfield.

That would undoubtedly be for the Garand. The operating rod tends to bend if you use slower powders and heavier bullets.

My bolt gun likes a stiff load of H4831 behind a 180 gr. SMK.

Gunney,

Varget is perhaps not the best powder for the 168 smk's, but it is fine.

Look up the hogdon data for varget at their reloading center and see for yourself.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

For 168's they recommend from 47-50.5 grains for the respectable velocities 2710 to 2859

If they group or not, is another matter, let us know.

Ben

I use Varget with 150gr hunting bullets in 30-06. It works great with that for a mild load around 2850fps with 50gr and a CCI primer.

Hodgdon load data shows Varget in the middle of performance for 168gr with H or IMR 4350 at the top for velocity. I would try Varget and one of the 4350 powders and see what works best for you.

Varget seemed to act very similar to 4064 in my 2 30-06s using 150/165gr bullets. I didn`t have any problems with accuracy or velocity goals but agree 4350 is the better choice with anything heavier in weight.
My rifles are strictly hunting arms and these loads were judged considering that.

Back