tuning for 600 / 1000

SBH

When tuning for 600 or 1000 yards what would be a good group when shooting at 300 to tune? I am trying to get a 300 win mag to tune and the best i can do is about 1.5" at 300 cant get the vertical out.
190gr berger VLD 12 twist BBL H4831 powder.

Have tried different bullets and n560 but not really any better.

tried jumpig the bullet up to .120 and every thing in between a .010 jamb.

Is this as good as I can expect?

Imr 4350

Try IMR 4350 Thats what I shoot w/ 210 VLDs in a Sendero

When tuning for 600 or 1000 yards what would be a good group when shooting at 300 to tune? I am trying to get a 300 win mag to tune and the best i can do is about 1.5" at 300 cant get the vertical out.
190gr berger VLD 12 twist BBL H4831 powder.

Have tried different bullets and n560 but not really any better.

tried jumpig the bullet up to .120 and every thing in between a .010 jamb.

Is this as good as I can expect?
do some latter tests with different powder charges to find the sweet spot.then play with the lenght,lenght will not get vertical out if you don't have optimum powder charge.back off 2gr from max load and latter up.good luck:)

Try shooting over a chronograph. That will tell you more than grouping.

Velocity spread is rightfully considered not to be detrimental at short distances, but the further away a target gets, the more likely it is that you will get vertical issues with velocity spreads above the teens. Smooth your loading techniques or change components like primers until you can get velocity spreads down, then fiddle the setup - jump, neck tension & the like - to tighten the group up.

what would be a good group when shooting at 300 to tune?

I shoot multi-distance shoots out to 500 meters. I need a load that gets 1” 7-8 shot groups from a BR case with high BC bullets at 300 yds to break into the upper ¼ in a match reguardless of conditions. If the match conditions are good a 1” at 300 yard barrel while not place in the upper 10% because the better 6BRs, and low BC but more accurate 30BRs and PPCs will eat me up. Better barrels will hold an average close to an inch out to 400yds in no wind, no mirage conditions and will make it possible for a 22BR or 6BR to win no matter what the conditions are at a match. A custom gun that can only do 1½” at 300 yards on a still overcast day is not competitive where I shoot. Hope that gives you some idea of what you need to be working towards. Just don't let that barrel keep you away from a match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back