Top end nodes vs low to mid

Vern

Morethan1waytoskinacat
I have noticed the trend to find the very highest node that a gun will shoot good in.

Why is this?

If it shoots a .1 in a low node and a high node why shoot the high node?

Is the extra 100-300 fps really that much better at bucking the wind?

I guess I am just too new at this.

Someone educate me.

Node difference...

Vern...Keep in mind that brass will not last as long when shooting the "upper node windows". I'm no expert,but I don't believe in straining anything anymore than necessary to do the job. If low/mid nodes shoot equally well as the higher node,I'll choose the lower nodes. Checking ballistic tables show that the difference in time of flight between 3200fps & 3400fps = .013 of a second @ 200yds!!! Is .013 of a second really going to make that much of a difference plus the added wear & tear on brass?? Ain't worth it to me.
Good luck....good shooting....gpoldblue

Simply put the upper nodes are "sometimes" less sensitive to temperature changes. In other words they'll maintain that pinpoint accuracy without as much tuning needed.
Like most things its not carved in stone;)

I have been shooting stiff loads the last years. Started out like most around 28.5-29.2. Never found any loads that stayed in tune for very long. Something that worked in the mornin blew up compleatly in just a few hours.

Then I started tuning in the upper window, and found out that my loads stayed tuned much better. Not so that I was in total tune all of the time, but much more often than before. Sure, both brass and barrels gest beaten like hell, but I have accepted that.

What is the difference in group sizes when the load is tuned and out of tune due to change in temperature? There is a pattern(size) or this change from rifle to rifle?:confused:

Anything more that one bullethole of vertical, or unstable in the wind.

I know that some guys are talking about tuning away half a bullethole, or even less vertical, but I´m to lousy to determine if it´s me or the load thats causing that little. If I get more than one bullethole, and I feel that I read the wind right, I start to think about the load. One bullethole of vertical equals about a .250" group, and frankly, most of the times, I´m not that unhappy about that.

Temp

I have noticed when I shoot the middle or lower nodes whether benchmark or 133 I dont have much problem with temp. But the guys who shoot the upper and extreme upper nodes have a lot more tuning and problems when the temp rises. Just my observation.
One of several reasons I wonder why it is better to chase the upper nodes.

Tony Boyer And The Top End Node

I have noticed the trend to find the very highest node that a gun will shoot good in.

Why is this?

If it shoots a .1 in a low node and a high node why shoot the high node?

Is the extra 100-300 fps really that much better at bucking the wind?

I guess I am just too new at this.

Someone educate me.

Tony Boyer On Winning 1996 Precision Shooting Annual

With any new barrel he gradually builds a hotter and hotter load until the load "goes to pieces". Having reached the barrels upper limit, theres only one way to go. He begins gradually working his way down until he finds the hottest charge that will shoot. the resulting load will be suitable at 200 yards as 100 and only minor powder adjustment is required under reasonable match condition to tune the rifleto its full accuracy potential.

For those who advocate LIGHT LOADS, life is not so simple. "When you get down on the low side with your powder charge," Tony explained, "as far as I am concerned you're in no man's land.You can go both ways, up or down, and it gets confusing."

He has watched disciples of low velosity nervously experiment with going up a few clicks. Then when then when their shots begin to scatter at higher pressures they refuse to to add more power and begin backing off, whereas if they'd continued dropping more powder, they'd undoubtedly have watched their groups begin to shrink.

"If they're going to shoot those powder puff-loads, I'm probably going to ge them at 200 yards. Tony cheerfully lamented. Indeed he had noted that benchresters who shot "decent" groups at 100 yards with light loads always seam to have .5" to .6" vertical problems at the longer yardage.

Hope this helps.........V

Thats what I am talking about.

Not just because it came from Tony B. but some reason that has logic and makes real world sense.
Thanksmitty.

Back