Took the plunge on a newer lathe;

Pete Wass

I saw an interesting lathe on Craigslist last week so I drove off to view it. The lathe is out of an estate and in nearly pristine condition save a few dings movers did to it. It is a 1996 Central Machinery 1336. I had been looking for a 1240 but this one seems to be ok for my purposes.

The lathe shows very little use as did the mill that sat beside it. There was little evidence of chips or cutting oil on either. Now comes the hard part, moving the dang thing, which I will do on Thursday. First I have to weed out stuff to make room for it. I am going to give away a few bulky things to a second hand store run by a Vietnam Vet, if he wants them. If not, I will take them to the transfer station. Time to let go of my hoardings. This lathe promices to be right for me and easier to add a DRO to, which I have longed for. It's not a Nardini but I could afford this one and it will fit in my shop.

I'll keep you all posted on the progress.

Pete

Last edited:
Loading the first desk:

I am loading the first secretarial desk after lunch and to the transfer station it goes along with the chairs that go with it. Apparently there is no market for used office furniture around here so to the dump, to the dump, to the dump ump ump it goes. Feels good, letting go, I must say :). only one more desk after that and a lateral filing cabinet and I'm free of my office work past :).

After them, my cast iron table Craftsman table saw there is no market for either.

Pete

That saw a 10" or the older 8" or 9" units. 10's due have a bit of market if it has the external belt drive motor, and not the internal direct drive. The other two nada, as there really isn't much in the way of blades to go with.
Around my part 10" cast Iron Craftsman will bring $100 in moderate condition. More if the fence has been up graded.

Can't get em too big F

Sounds good to me Pete.
The pole building is getting filled with essentials, you know; snow blower, two rider mowers, lawn vacuum, push mower, shovels, rakes, hoes, two weed wackers, blower, sprayer, one loading trailer, one stake side trailer, etc. I shoulda built bigger.

When I moved here I had a 16 X 24 shed built for my shop. Then my house, that had been on the market for a decade, sold. I had that shed full plus a 10X10 shed and more plus filling a big dumpster! I should have rented another dumpster! :(

P

It is a 10 but

That saw a 10" or the older 8" or 9" units. 10's due have a bit of market if it has the external belt drive motor, and not the internal direct drive. The other two nada, as there really isn't much in the way of blades to go with.
Around my part 10" cast Iron Craftsman will bring $100 in moderate condition. More if the fence has been up graded.

the local shopper magazine and craigslist have perhaps 25 between them for sale @ $50 or $75. and they ain't sellin. Problem with them is they take up too much floor space. There a are good portables now a day and I find hat between a skill saw and a saber saw, I can do about all I need a powered saw to do. I ain't zackly a cabinet maker, me. A good meal out is $50., then where does that end up? Couldn't even give it away today.

P

When you start

I am loading the first secretarial desk after lunch and to the transfer station it goes along with the chairs that go with it. Apparently there is no market for used office furniture around here so to the dump, to the dump, to the dump ump ump it goes. Feels good, letting go, I must say :). only one more desk after that and a lateral filing cabinet and I'm free of my office work past :).

After them, my cast iron table Craftsman table saw there is no market for either.

Pete

throwing away your guns, CALL ME!!!

Update:

On the way home from buying the lathe the other day I stopped by a car dealer to look @ a car I had seen on the internet. I liked it and traded, picked it up today after hauling the two desks and chairs to the dump.

After concluding the trade, I went to the lathe and picked up the "extras". When I got home I found that the 4 jaw chuck, faceplate and both steadies have never been used! ! The 4 Jaw has a bit if surface rust on it and the jaws hard to move at first but never has been on the machine. All the extra gears and chuck jaws are in the little red box and there was a lovely little Suburban magnetic chuck" chucked in" to this treasure. I don't believe the magnetic chuck has ever been used either! :) Does that spell looking for a good surface grinder? We'll see.

All and all, a great find so far. I'll pick up the lathe Thursday.

Pete

Update:

Welll, tomorrow is the big day to collect the lathe. Just to see, I looked the magnetic chuck up on the Suburban Tool site. As it turns out, the list price on it is nearly as much as I paid for the whole package! That small grinder is looking a lot better all the time :).

Pete

Back